Harmony Sequences
First, let me just say that the latest OSXBMC is IT. I no longer have to use a complicated combination of Mac IR codes with my Keyspan remote codes in my Harmony Remote to make everything work.

This truly is the "Throw away the XBox" version.

I have a question about universal remote support with the Harmony remote. The MacIRproposal page lists 19 potential commands that can be sent. 14 of those require sequences to be programmed in the Harmony setup software. However, I cannot get the software to allow more than 10 sequences to be defined.

The ten I have are the ones I would use the most, but I like to get as much functionality out of anything that I can. So, does anyone know of a workaround for the Harmony ten sequence limit?

Thanks

-Todd
toddtmw, you ran into an issue I meant to write up somewhere, but forgot.

With the Harmony remotes there is no way to increase the sequences allowed limit. But, that's okay.

What you need to do to use all of the command is basically learn the sequences extra using the learning capabilities of the remote. I did this by learning a command as Raw and quickly pressing my three key sequences manually using an Apple remote. For some reason, I found that three key sequences worked better than two (my harmony was repeating the whole sequence for some reason, so the three key sequence took longer before that repeat kicked in and work fine).

Summary: I used actual sequences for two-key commands and manually learned (in Raw mode) all of the three key sequences from an Apple remote.

Hopefully this helps and makes sense. I am going to try and figure out how to share my codes, but have not spent much time on that yet.

If anyone knows how to share Harmony codes, let me know!

-superpea
I've had no luck with sequences. Did you have to change the delays at all?
I changed the delay in the harmony software to 0.

I changed the delay in the xbmc software to 200.

Make sure you set the remote settings to universal mode.

-Todd
I'm trying to program my harmony 880. I'm wondering what [trigger for seq] means on the mapping page. Anyone help?
I think it means that that sequence is used in other sequences, so it cannot be used alone.

Menu is the first part of a sequence, so you give up the menu key as single key command. That way OSXBMC knows that Menu will have other commands to follow.

Menu->Up and Menu->Play are also used for three-key sequences, so those sequences cannot be used for anything else.

-Todd
toddtmw Wrote:First, let me just say that the latest OSXBMC is IT. I no longer have to use a complicated combination of Mac IR codes with my Keyspan remote codes in my Harmony Remote to make everything work.

This truly is the "Throw away the XBox" version.

Thanks for the kind words, glad to hear it's working well for you!

-elan
I can't get my harmony one remote to learn anything more than one command at a time, so all multi-button training ultimately just ends up being the menu key (the only one it captures). Any guidance on getting the One to learn the 3 key sequences?
Disregard. I was being dumb. In the harmony software I was using the regular learn function, not the "Learn Raw" function which is available by hitting the "custom" button at the bottom of the page.
Thanks for this tread. If anyone figures out a way to export/share a harmony config for this it'd be wonderful, but knowing Logitech I won't be surprised if it can't be (easily) done.

I've still been just having my harmony mimic the basic apple remote buttons until now, but plan on programming it by learning sequences (as described above) as soon as I have some free time. Again, thanks for posting these tips.
fall-line Wrote:Thanks for this tread. If anyone figures out a way to export/share a harmony config for this it'd be wonderful, but knowing Logitech I won't be surprised if it can't be (easily) done.

I sent an e-mail to Logitech Tech support and this is the response I got:

Quote:We currently do not have a means to make certain learned commands available to the general public besides contacting the technical support line with a Login ID that have the successfully learned codes.

Also, the Apple remote, despite its lack of buttons, actually are not the same across different Apple devices, even of the same model. There are at least 20 different IR command set for the Apple TV, none of which are compatible with each other.

So, if it is true that different Macs have different codes, we'd need to have a bunch of different people create device settings and then contact tech support to publish them. Seems like it would be easier for everyone to just learn the raw codes on their own.

Now that I think about this, this is probably related to the Mac's ability to pair with a computer so that if you have two different Macs in the same room, each remote only affects the Mac it is paired with.

-Todd
One way to "share" codes on the Harmony... If someone comes up with a total mapping (learned IR + key maps on the Harmony) and names their device something specific (e.g. "XBMC for OS X using Apple Remote Mapping A"), others can specify they have the same device and pull down the same settings. I'm not sure how long it takes for the device to show up as searchable, but I have seen this work before.
toddtmw Wrote:So, if it is true that different Macs have different codes, we'd need to have a bunch of different people create device settings and then contact tech support to publish them. Seems like it would be easier for everyone to just learn the raw codes on their own.

Total BS, EVERY apple remote sends the same code... Use the same apple remote with your aTV, Mac Mini, Macbook, iPod Dock, etc. Now The code they send for Pressing Play once vs. HOLDING play is different. I call this a case of a company being lazy and just deferring the blame elsewhere. (i.e. when you ATI all in wonder won't record sound right, ATI says it's sound blasters fault... Sound Blaster says it's ATI's fault.. some one needs to man up)
iordonez Wrote:Total BS, EVERY apple remote sends the same code... Use the same apple remote with your aTV, Mac Mini, Macbook, iPod Dock, etc. <off-topic flaming of Logitech deleted>

Are you sure about this?

I mean, I have three different Macs, and by default all the remotes are interchangeable. But, if I pair a remote with a Mac, then that Mac will only work with the remote it was paired with (but the other unpaired Macs will still respond to the paired remote.) So, it would seem that the remote would have to be sending some sort of identifying key to tell the Mac which remote is which. If these codes show in the remote codes, then it is understandable that Logitech would be seeing IR codes that look different.

-Todd
I'm not sure how the pairing works but like I said every Apple remote (and I have tons of them at work) works with every device (iPod dock, aTV, Mac mini, etc.). I still think it's a case of Logitec just being lazy and taking the easy road out with a tech support call.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Harmony Sequences0