HDMI Video cards (video AND audio)
Hello,

What card will output audio and video via HDMI? And run well under Ubuntu? I am planning on hooking this up to a westy 42, and hope to achieve 1080p.

I read some comments else where that some cards need a splitter for audio? Not sure if that makes sense, but I was confused by that...

Thanks in advance
Why don't you just hit up new egg and search for cards?

This isn't google, we expect people to do their own research first. Obviously an Nvidia card will be your best bet.
I'm sorry, I was not clear, and my above post was rushed. I understand that there are many cards out there, but I wanted to make sure users here have certain things working, specifically SPDIF input via their sound card, going over HDMI. So, I'm kinda looking for an HCL, what Vid card you use, what sound card, is Audio and Video going over HDMI, and was their anything special you have to do under ubuntu to get it working.

I tried to research thism and was not able to find anything for Linux, I did see some Vista users complaining of hardware resource conflicts, though

Thanks
althekiller Wrote:Why don't you just hit up new egg and search for cards?

This isn't google, we expect people to do their own research first. Obviously an Nvidia card will be your best bet.

Audio over HDMI is not supported with any nvidia cards at the current time. Nvidia says wait for the 177.xx version and maybe.

If you want to know what works, got to the ALSA mailings list and check there. ALSA is the audio sub-system and they would have the most current info as to what works and what does not.
I checked the4 ALMS mailing lists. They all contain messages regarding intel chipsets, and them not able to get the audio portion working....

Anyone on this board have XBMC running smoothl, with Video and Audio going over HDMI? Please post your setup.

Thanks
I suppose this depends on what you mean by audio over HDMI. For instance the card I'm using has a pigtail that can be connected to a SPIDIF header on the motherboard for audio - the parent poster even mentioned SPIDIF. That's NOT the same, near as I uncerstand, as audio over HDMI. It won't be able to handle the lossless codecs like DTS HD etc. as it's got the same bandwidth as SPIDIF but I think it will allow you to eliminate a cable.

That said - I've not tried it. I've got a normal COAX cable attached to my receiver for SPIDIF instead. I suppose if I were to somehow activate that motherboard header and wire up the video card again it would work. I *think* that's what he is after....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Video cards (video AND audio)0