Apple Remote not working in 0.5.0b1 and b2
Question 
I'm on a latest revision MacBook running Leopard. I did a clean install of 0.5.0b1 after deleting the Application Support/XBMC folder. In the settings I enabled the Apple Remote ("Standard") and turned on the Always On function. The remote didn't work.

I upgraded to 0.5.0b2 and did another clean install but still no luck. I get no response from XBMC when I use the remote. When I press up/down, I can hear the volume going up and down, so the remote seems to be passing-through to OS X and XBMC isn't intercepting the commands.

Any suggestions?
From what I know the new AppleRemote is an EventClient which is called XBMCHelper, this must always be running, but I'm not using OSX so the install might take care of that setup, if that is the case then ignore me Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I just checked Activity Monitor to make sure XBMCHelper is running, and it is, even when XBMC isn't. I'm so confused because this should be working.
Could you please post a debug log on http://www.pastebin.ca aswell (then we can see if there is anything wrong inbetween XBMC and XBMCHelper) it should be in /var/logs/xbmc.log IIRC.

/Topfs2

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Have you ever used RemoteBuddy ? I read something just the other day about someone not being able to get their remote to work with xbmc. They had at one time used remote buddy and didnt fully uninstall it. This gave them problems like you are describing.
I had the same problem - install Remote Buddy new and uninstall Remote Buddy over the Setup assistant - Thats help for me ;o)
Make sure your ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/UserData/Keymap.xml has references to:

<joystick name="Apple Remote">
iordonez Wrote:Make sure your ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/UserData/Keymap.xml has references to:

<joystick name="Apple Remote">

Yep.
Sasch Wrote:I had the same problem - install Remote Buddy new and uninstall Remote Buddy over the Setup assistant - Thats help for me ;o)

I did have Remote Buddy installed at one point but I thought I completely uninstalled it. I tried your fix, reinstalling it and then uninstalling the driver via the Setup Wizard, and then uninstalling Remote Buddy via AppCleaner. Still no luck. I looked up instructions on how to manually delete the Remote Buddy driver and did that, and XBMC still doesn't work.

I guess it has to be related to Remote Buddy, but I'm not sure what remnant of the software I haven't deleted that's causing the problem.
Topfs2 Wrote:Could you please post a debug log on http://www.pastebin.ca aswell (then we can see if there is anything wrong inbetween XBMC and XBMCHelper) it should be in /var/logs/xbmc.log IIRC.

/Topfs2

http://pastebin.com/f449b048e
I've only glanced through it but I've found 2 things that may be importat.
Quote:#
16:15:11 T:2686214048 M:237076480 ERROR: Remote Translator: Can't find button f1
#
16:15:11 T:2686214048 M:237076480 ERROR: Remote Translator: Can't find button f3

You may only have buttonid's so only integers.

and the EventServer never seem to get a Connect from XBMCHelper. Why this is I have no idea as I haven't looked at the code of the XBMCHelper.

Topfs2 Wrote:I've only glanced through it but I've found 2 things that may be important.

We're looking into this.
Those messages are actually innocuous.

Try running the helper from the command line like this:

$ killall XBMCHelper
$ ./XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/XBMCHelper --verbose

and paste the output here as you hit buttons on your Apple Remote.
elan Wrote:Those messages are actually innocuous.

Try running the helper from the command line like this:

$ killall XBMCHelper
$ ./XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/XBMCHelper --verbose

and paste the output here as you hit buttons on your Apple Remote.

Killing the helper and restarting it fixed it. Thanks. If you still want the output, let me know.
Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem. I had Remote Buddy installed so XBMC wouldn't let me change to Standard in the System menu for the Apple Remote. But I managed to uninstall the driver and then Remote Buddy with Appcleaner.

So now I can start XBMC with the Apple remotes Menu button BUT when XMBC has started the Apple remote isn't working at all. The Might Mouse and the keyboard still works.

I've tried killing the Helper as suggested with the following print outs:
rodrigo-rioss-mac-mini:~ rodrigorios$ /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/XBMCHelper --verbose
XBOX360: Registering for notifications.
Adding 39 Apple Remote cookies.

When starting XBMC with the remote and trying to navigate Down, Up , Left, right, Center I get this from the Console:
5/16/08 1:38:10 PM [0x0-0x13013].org.xbmc.XBMC[122] XBMCHelper is already running.
5/16/08 1:38:11 PM [0x0-0x13013].org.xbmc.XBMC[122] org.xbmc.helper: Already loaded
5/16/08 1:38:11 PM [0x0-0x13013].org.xbmc.XBMC[122] The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
5/16/08 1:38:11 PM [0x0-0x13013].org.xbmc.XBMC[122] The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
5/16/08 1:38:11 PM [0x0-0x13013].org.xbmc.XBMC[122] Asking helper to start.
5/16/08 1:38:11 PM [0x0-0x13013].org.xbmc.XBMC[122] ++ WARN: could not retrieve file info for `image.nrg': No such file or directory
5/16/08 1:38:11 PM [0x0-0x13013].org.xbmc.XBMC[122] ++ WARN: can't open nrg image file image.nrg for reading

Anyone that could help me out with some tips?

Thanks for porting my favorite media SW to my favorite HW Smile
I'm setting up an PayPal account do support your work, thanks!

/Fredrik

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple Remote not working in 0.5.0b1 and b20