Ubuntu 18.04 LTS- Fresh install with Kodi, Airplay and Kodi web interface not working
Hi all,

I've just installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and installed Kodi:

```
bash:
matt@yoshi:~$ kodi --version
17.6 Debian package version: 2:17.6+dfsg1-1ubuntu1 Media Center Kodi from Debian
Copyright © 2005-2013 Team Kodi from Debian - http://kodi.tv
```

However, after enabling the web interface, I get the following error when navigating to it: "Connection to server lost". Not this isn't the standard 404, and I at least get the outline of the web interface with "profiles | Remove | movies | TV Shows  | music" appearing along the top.

Any thoughts?

Secondly, I've enabled airplay support (and disabled video), but I'm not seeing the server on my iPhone. 

I'm currently migrating from a raspberry pi running OSMC which has been great, to a HTPC running Ubuntu 18.04, and just trying to get things up and running at the moment.

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks,

Matt
try with our stable ppa
Thanks!

Didn't realise Ubuntu 18.04 had been added to the PPA. I tried it a few days ago and didn't have any luck.

Anyway - Have installed via ppa, thanks!

If anyone reading this wants to know what to do:

bash:

sudo -s
!if you installed kodi via the debian standard ppa with ubuntu
apt autoremove kodi
add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
apt update
apt install kodi

I now have the web interface working :-)

I'm also seeing kodi via airplay, however not having much luck in getting it working.

I can use my iPhone with airplay audio on:
- Apple TV
- OSMC

When I try airplay from my phone:

bash:

matt@yoshi:~/.kodi/temp$ tail -f kodi.log
17:37:23.084 T:140697828885696   ERROR: Init: Error opening file pipe://3/
17:37:23.084 T:140697828885696   ERROR: CAudioDecoder: Unable to Init Codec while loading file pipe://3/
17:37:23.084 T:140697828885696 WARNING: PAPlayer::QueueNextFileEx - Failed to create the decoder

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt
airplay support is pretty much dead. iirc only audio with older ios versions works
Thanks for the reply. 

I'd been using airplay with audio support for the last year or so with Kodi, and it had been working well. Typically after a fresh Kodi install though you need to untick "video" support with expert level options on, otherwise the airplay device won't appear on IOS. 

I'm running IOS 11 on my iPhone. I don't know if OSMC had done anything specific to the upstream Kodi image to ensure audio support worked, but it's still working with latest Kodi 17 provided by them on a RPI3. 

Thanks,

Matt
@mattie47 

Just to let you know. It's all documented in our Wiki:

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux
Yep - I'd read those instructions a few days prior to opening the thread, but they didn't help since 18.04 hadn't been added to the stable PPA at that point. I also tried installing the nightly but also ran into issues. 

If the debian packaged kodi had been installed first, doing "apt remove kodi" wasn't enough and I couldn't install the Team-Kodi version. Hence the instructions :-)
(2018-05-05, 07:38)mattie47 Wrote: ...
If anyone reading this wants to know what to do:

bash:

sudo -s
!if you installed kodi via the debian standard ppa with ubuntu
apt autoremove kodi
add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
apt update
apt install kodi

I now have the web interface working :-)

Thanks!

I had the same problem on Linux Mint 19 Xfce.
I also had "Connection to server lost" at localhost (and also from an Android device).

I did the same: Uninstall the Linux Mint (Ubuntu/Debian) version of Kodi and switched to the PPA of team-xbmc.

At the first try I had a problem because of the package "Kodi-repository-kodi", which was still installed.

bash:

Unpacking kodi (2:17.6+git20180430.1623-final-0bionic) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-VRJ7cf/15-kodi_2%3a17.6+git20180430.1623-final-0bionic_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/kodi/addons/repository.xbmc.org/addon.xml', which is also in package kodi-repository-kodi 2:17.6+dfsg1-1ubuntu1
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-VRJ7cf/15-kodi_2%3a17.6+git20180430.1623-final-0bionic_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) 

So I removed the package kodi-repository-kodi and installed Kodi again.
After starting the new installed Kodi I got an error: "Starting of web-server faild" (I've used the German interface and I don't remember the message at all). The Web Interface was not available.

I made tabula rasa and I removed Kodi again, deleted the settings direcotry (~/.kodi) and installed Kodi again and Kodi run fine and the web Interface at the localhost runs fine.
I just had to install the PVR package for Tvheadend (Kodi-pvr-hts) manually, set the credentials for the Tvheadend server and everythig is fine now.
BTW: It was a new setup at all and so I didn't had other sources in Kodi yet. I only had to change the localization settings in Kodi (but now I stay at the English Interface).

With deactivated Firewall (Gufw) I can access the Kodi web interface also from my Android device and also Kore (the remote app) is working fine. Even if I had allowed all TCP-Ports for the IP of my Android device, it's not running. But this is another problem, wich I'm sure I get fixed with correct firewall rules.
dpkg -l |grep kodi | pastebinit

You are doing it wrong!
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-09-26, 07:22)fritsch Wrote: dpkg -l |grep kodi | pastebinit

You are doing it wrong!
I?
Y?

I have no pastebinit. Huh
bash:
dpkg -l |grep kodi | pastebinit

Command 'pastebinit' not found, but can be installed with:

bash:
dpkg -l |grep kodi
ii  kodi                                       2:17.6+git20180430.1623-final-0bionic       all          Kodi Media Center (arch-independent data package)
ii  kodi-bin                                   2:17.6+git20180430.1623-final-0bionic       amd64        Kodi Media Center (binary data package)
ii  kodi-pvr-hts                               3.4.27-1~bionic                             amd64        TVHeadEnd PVR for Kodi
Perfect :-) all fine. If you want pastebinit, apt-get install pastebinit
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-09-26, 07:12)NeroRome Wrote: I also had "Connection to server lost" at localhost (and also from an Android device).
Orthogonal to this discussion, but... I also regularly get "Attempting Websockets Connection" then "Lost Websocket Connection" messages popping up during web interface usage (when connecting in Firefox from my Macbook).

It doesn't seem to hurt functionality; it's as though each requested action is processed correctly... then the web interface gets impatient after a few seconds of inactivity and drops the connection, popping this message up.  Once I click something else that happens okay... then the same message appears after a wait.

I just put it down to some aggressive AJAX timeout and ignore it after a while, but not sure if it's a related issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS- Fresh install with Kodi, Airplay and Kodi web interface not working0