Sleep Display and Sleep computer issues
Sad 
0.5 version brings two crucial features on XBMC for OSX: the ability to sleep the display after a period of time and the ability to put your mac to sleep.

However both of those features does not work correctly as of 0.5b2 (at least for my setup).
On my iMac when I set the computer monitor to sleep after say, 5 mins, it never does. It just stays on the screensaver forever.
When I set the computer to sleep when idle, it does! The bad news is that something really messes up the computer. It wakes from sleep OK. When I need to restart my iMac it stays on a blue screen and never loads the GUI. I have to restart in single user mode, clean all my caches, do a permission repair and perform some maintenance scripts. After that, I can restart my iMac without problems, until XBMC sleeps my computer again...

I tried removin the XBMC folder at Application Support and I get the same results. I use the xTV theme. These bugs should be fairly easy to replicate, and I don't know if they are specific to my setup (iMac + Remote Buddy) or a widespread issue. Anyone else having the same problems? Sad
In terms of display sleeping, are you running in full-screen mode or windowed? In windowed mode, we defer power-saving to OS X.

In terms of the destructive sleep, that's quite worrisome. Anyone else having the same trouble? I for one haven't seen this issue.
elan, I run XBMC in FullScreen. While I consider not letting the display go to sleep a nuissance, I think that the "destructive sleep" issue is indeed a major issue. I will try to replicate this problem on my other XBMC mac (mac mini) and report back my findings Nerd
Have you tried repairing permissions via Disk utility, verifying the volume and posting a copy of /var/log/system.log when your computer doesn't load correctly? Sounds similar to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306857
iordonez Wrote:Have you tried repairing permissions via Disk utility, verifying the volume and posting a copy of /var/log/system.log when your computer doesn't load correctly? Sounds similar to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306857

Yes, after restarting at single-user mode, I always repair permissions, clean user and system cache and run all the unix scripts. My disk is verified correctly and I don't have the suggested problem as this is an iMac with a clean mac os x installation of Leopard with the addition of Remote Buddy, VLC and EyeTV. I hate usanity apps/"enhancers" as they mess with my system. ;-)

Does this feature work correctly for other users or am I the only one with a problem? It sure seems that way. How about the "sleep display" function? Oh well, it's no biggie either way. I am just glad XBMC runs pretty well on my macs!
I'm not sure... It's possible there is a 3rd party app that doesn't like this sleeping. Have you tried it on your mini as you said you were going to?
could you create a new user and try with? maybe could help...

Alex

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sleep Display and Sleep computer issues0