Skip Ahead vs. Next Chapter
I'm a new user of XBMC, so maybe this won't make any sense...

Depending on how a movie has been encoded, the chapter list is sometimes lost. If you are watching one of these movies and hit "next chapter" on your remote, it just jumps to the end of the movie and playback finishes. XBMC also has a feature where hitting up/down and right/left jumps playback forward or back 10 minutes or 30 seconds respectively.

I would like a feature where upon starting a video, XBMC would scan to see if the video has a chapter list. If it does, things would continue on as normal. However, if no chapter list is found, XBMC would temporarily assign the "jump playback forward or back 10 minutes" to the next/previous chapter buttons.

Or is there already a way to do something similar for videos that don't have a chapter list?
How do you skip to the next movie/episode/musicvideo in a playlist in that case?

Perhaps the buttons for "Next/Prev chapter" should be overriding the skip buttons instead?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:How do you skip to the next movie/episode/musicvideo in a playlist in that case?

Perhaps the buttons for "Next/Prev chapter" should be overriding the skip buttons instead?

That's a good point. I forgot about playlists. The solution would be that if the media being played is part of a playlist, then XBMC doesn't override the behavior of the Next/Prev Chapter buttons. However if there's no playlist, and there's no chapter list present, then have the Next/Prev Chapter buttons be overridden to provide 10 minute Skip Ahead/Back.

From a user standpoint, when you pick a movie to play, there's no way to know if its lacking a chapter list, and if you hit Next Chapter during such a movie, it just ends the movie. Or in otherwords, for movie's without chapter lists, the Next Chapter button is currently being overridden to behave like the Stop Button. That seems counter intuitive. As a user, if I push the Next Chapter button, it means I want to keep seeing/hearing something, not to stop.

It also might be usefull if the Skip Ahead/Back feature scaled itself to the overall duration of the media being played, i.e., for anything under 30 minutes in length, Skip Ahead/Back would default to 5 minute incriments instead of 10 minutes. And for anything under 5 minutes in duration, Skip Ahead/Back would default to 30 second incriments.
So the solution appears to be either:

1. Don't use the Next/Prev buttons and have these always be "next/prev" in a playlist.
2. Do use the Next/Prev buttons and get rid of the "next/prev" in a playlist.
3. Override the Next/Prev buttons while inside a file and skip to the next/prev once you go to the ends of the file.

To be honest, the first one seems the obvious thing to me as it's the only thing that really makes things unambiguous.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skip Ahead vs. Next Chapter0