Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2
someone has this Mainboard, and can post his experience with Linux and Xbmc ??
I ordered one and it should be here in a few days. Seems theres no specific issue under linux with the 780G, except that the hybrid crossfire feature isnt supported (yet).

Since I get it for XBMC, if you dont plan to get it now I will tell you how it went.
It works, but the HD decoding features don't work (yet) under linux. Still a nice board with low power consumption, I am quite satisfied - using it with Vista though atm to get the most out of it. There I can use RMCLOCK to easily underclock my amd be-2400 to 1000mz at 0,8V core voltage - using only about 45watts idle and 55watts when decoding a h264 file with the HD acceleration and mplayer classic homecinema.
Yeah, I use it too with xubuntu and XBMC and am quite satisfied. :-) Even have my clone setup running now. 1280x720 on my projector cloned to a CRT.
well, if the HD decoding features don't work, this mainboard just don´t makes sense ?
It still is a nice board, micro atx and a usefull onboard gpu - so I wouldn't call it useless. But you are right, the best thing about is is the HD decoding - and that doesn't work under linux and under windows not with xbmc. Since my PC isn't used only for htpc purposes but also as my normal work PC - I find it to be quite nice.
Yeah, hotzenpl0tz is right. HD decoding won't work in linux for quite some time i think. Neither for NVidia nor for ATI or Intel. Better get a multicore cpu (3+)... Then you are also more flexible with software decoding...
There is a new revision of the board. the S2 is old

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H
hotzenpl0tz Wrote:It still is a nice board, micro atx and a usefull onboard gpu - so I wouldn't call it useless. But you are right, the best thing about is is the HD decoding - and that doesn't work under linux and under windows not with xbmc. Since my PC isn't used only for htpc purposes but also as my normal work PC - I find it to be quite nice.

use windows :-) and XBMC for most play back and for 1080p HD stuff use
zoom player or powerdvd 8 with coreavc Big Grin
roeroe Wrote:There is a new revision of the board. the S2 is old

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H

usually S3 is ATX and S2 is mATX

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S20