• 2(current)
Vision 2 skin release
I'm on a mac (and a noob to this whole thing) so I have no clue how to do that. All the examples I've seen for downloading from the svn and building the skin are for windows.
platanito21 Wrote:I'm on a mac (and a noob to this whole thing) so I have no clue how to do that. All the examples I've seen for downloading from the svn and building the skin are for windows.

If you are uncomfortable with the terminal window but want to get stuff from svn, get SCPlugin from http://scplugin.tigris.org/ this is a finder plugin that allows access to svn (fashioned after tortoise-svn), you don't have to install anything command line, this is a dmg with a pkg in it, very mac user friendly. Its 10.3.9 and up compatible and a universal binary.

Once installed you will have to log out and back in again, then you can access the svn commands from the context menu in finder (Look in "Context Menu"->More->Subversion" for the commands)

If you want to get a copy of everything in the svn:
1. Create a folder to put it all in.
2. Right click/control click (whatever, get the context menu up) and Select "More->Subversion->Checkout"
3. enter the url of the svn in the "Repository URL" box, leave everything else alone
4. Click "Checkout"
5. Wait a while for it to finish (it will open a window showing you what is going on)
6. Profit Big Grin
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!
Its not on the skinnign SVN and wont be for a while its only 50% to 70% finished
And for all those people saying it should have this and that the screenshots above are not a complete representation of everything in the skin you do realize plus its not finshed
Jezz_X Wrote:And for all those people saying it should have this and that the screenshots above are not a complete representation of everything in the skin you do realize plus its not finshed

Yes of course Jezz, we were asked in the OP for suggestions and comments good and bad, I think that's all people are doing Smile

It's looking really amazing, NineT9 and yourself should be rightfully proud of what you have achieved so far!
ChoccyHobNob Wrote:If you are uncomfortable with the terminal window but want to get stuff from svn, get SCPlugin from http://scplugin.tigris.org/ this is a finder plugin that allows access to svn (fashioned after tortoise-svn), you don't have to install anything command line, this is a dmg with a pkg in it, very mac user friendly. Its 10.3.9 and up compatible and a universal binary.

Once installed you will have to log out and back in again, then you can access the svn commands from the context menu in finder (Look in "Context Menu"->More->Subversion" for the commands)

If you want to get a copy of everything in the svn:
1. Create a folder to put it all in.
2. Right click/control click (whatever, get the context menu up) and Select "More->Subversion->Checkout"
3. enter the url of the svn in the "Repository URL" box, leave everything else alone
4. Click "Checkout"
5. Wait a while for it to finish (it will open a window showing you what is going on)
6. Profit Big Grin

scplugin did not work for me on my new macbook, I heard that it's because the xbmc svn is a secured database?
ChoccyHobNob Wrote:Yes of course Jezz, we were asked in the OP for suggestions and comments good and bad, I think that's all people are doing Smile

It's looking really amazing, NineT9 and yourself should be rightfully proud of what you have achieved so far!

Oh some of it came across to me like you are doing it wrong do it this way guess I misunderstood

As for Lower def 4x3 this skin will never work on that the text is just too small and compact this is really design for TV's with lots of screen space and high pixel count
Competes2win Wrote:scplugin did not work for me on my new macbook, I heard that it's because the xbmc svn is a secured database?

I downloaded it and wrote the instructions as I did everything, it worked fine on my iMac, I posted the instructions when I had a full copy of the svn on my desktop. It's only secured for writes, you can checkout as anonymous

The latest version of scplugin works with secured databases. Do you have the latest version?

This is all OT for this thread though as Jezz_X has already said Vi2ion isn't in the svn yet
Jezz_X Wrote:Oh some of it came across to me like you are doing it wrong do it this way guess I misunderstood

As for Lower def 4x3 this skin will never work on that the text is just too small and compact this is really design for TV's with lots of screen space and high pixel count

I know how it feels to work really hard on something and then just get loads of comments saying you should change almost everything, it hurts. At the end of the day these are just peoples opinions, if you don't want to implement them (and a lot of them conflict so it's impossible to do them all) you don't have to, stick to the vi2ion you have for the project (pun intended) do it how you want it to be and if people don't like something they can either use a different skin or make the changes themselves.

Looking at the example screens I think it _could_ be made to fit SD and 4:3 modes, it won't look anything like as gorgeous, its just a limitation of the mode they use, you won't be able to fit as much on the screen but it will run and be functional. Kinda like library mode vs file mode, if people want to use the inferior mode they have to suffer the limitations.
This skin i really beautiful!!! WOW!!

Great job guys!
awesome, can't wait to try it...(hint, hint) how 'bout it jezz Big Grin
Big Grin 
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Good to see theres a couple that like it!
Now I'll do my best answering you

Project Vision 2 Download & Release
Like Jezz_X said the skin isn't finished. The basics are done (Home/Views/Important Dialogs/OSD), but theres still more minor things that need to be finished. When Vision1 reached this point last year I made a thread like this & let everyone know a skin was in the works... a few weeks later the skin was released. Unlike Sony's products, this won't get delayed again and again

Project Vision 2 Music OSD
I do have an alternate Music/Video OSD... I'll post it here some time and you tell me which you prefer... I enjoy the OSD it currently has, but I also like the other one... you'll see soon

Project Vision 2 Logo on Home
Originally that logo wasn't going to be in home, it was only used to show which Theme was being used for mockup purposes. Then later added as part of Home. I agree it would be nice to either see 'XBMC' in that same style, or simply nothing at all there. Atleast a option to turn/change it would be nice... because as szsori said, the ProjectVi2ion logo might not fit right colorwise with other backgrounds.... but this is all up to Jezz_X. Worst case scenario guys, simply edit the skin when its out and remove it...Easy Smile

Wide Banners on Right for TV Shows
Agreed, I do like the Wide Icon list idea a lot, would be nice to see. This would be up to Jezz_X if he wants to add it to the skin. I understand if he doesn't, I'm fine either way.

4:3
Please listen carefully Smile I completly understand where you guys are coming from, I have been using 4x3 for the past 5 years! I recently switched to HD/16:9 a few months ago. I know what its like wanting a skin for 4x3, and trust me, I would love to cater to you guys but:

Like mentioned in my original post, This skin was designed from the ground up in 720p & Library Mode (aka The best part of XBMC). With this said, theres so much information on the screen, the fonts are small, and everything fits perfect for 720p. IF we WERE to convert this skin for 4x3, the skin will not work or atleast look right.

Take that DVD View for example You have so much information on the left hand side, then you have a full blown dvd poster in the middle, and then a big list to the right. If this were to be viewed on a 4x3 TV, things would go completly wrong. The fonts would be larger, the information would be bigger, and the layout would be cut off, thus not looking right. So its not really about us not caring about 4x3, or simply not wanting to put effort because we dont use it... The simply fact is, it wont look right.

BUT theres good news... The XBMC community is large, theres people always modding skins to cater their own personal needs. I can guarentee you someone out there will rework the xml needed and get 4x3 working... because theres so many of you 4x3 users. Ive already had a few PM's from people saying they will attempt to get 4x3 working... I dont know if it will look right, but hopefully. Either way, you will get your 4x3 Vision2

In Conclusion
I apreciate every persons feedback on the skin. They are all great ideas, some I know will get added Big Grin
Just remember this is what the skin looks like now. This isn't final. Things will change with all the feedback, for the better Smile

I'm not sure if you remember, but Vision1 saw change from the original screenshots to the release build. Then it saw even more change as you guys all tried the skin out and gave more feedback.

So we need feedback before the release, during the release, and after the release...So keep those comments flowing Smile
szsori Wrote:My main criticism is that you have a lot of "wasted" space in some areas. Not that every area needs to be filled with something, but the main info area for TV series and games has a pretty wide border around it. I'm guessing that's limited due to the dimensions of the banner art, but if not you might want to consider expanding the box out a bit.
Your correct that its due to the dimensions of the banner art. I didn't want to sacrifice losing quality on the banner by increasing it. You will notice a lot of empty space thruought the skin, which is all pretty much planned for a few reasons... 1) To give it a 'glass panel' feel over a background. (I'm not the best with words sorry! I know what im thinking in my mind though, hopefully you can understand hehe) 2) Custom backgrounds for those that want to still see their custom backgrounds while browsing 3) Music Visualizations that will be shown behind the panels, as you can see in some of the screenshots (Like music)

szsori Wrote:I like your main menu, but something about it seems just a bit off to me. I think the full labels for each selection are part of it. I'm a minimalist, so I think having the title pop up at the top when you scroll to a section would be enough. Or just reduce the text from "Listen to music & audio CD's" to "Music". Remember that not everyone uses the sections the same way, so the more generic the description, the better.
I completly understand where your coming from, and I can relate as I like things pretty minimal... but the Full Labels will stay. I just prefer the detail over 1 word Sorry... But you might like another theme for Vision2 that wont include those labels... and its a lot simpler then this PM3 Theme

szsori Wrote:cycling custom background images, similar to Aeon. Allow people to select a folder that contains the background art for that menu section. People could use the same backpacks as they use for Aeon, so it'd piggyback some work that's already been done. Smile
I totally love this idea. I really like that part of AEON, but, I think it might be too late to do this for the skin. As it would require a lot of rework on XML, which I know Jezz_X just doesn't have time for. Perhaps someone out there can do a mod for Vision2 when its released to add this feature, because as I said, I like it Smile

szsori Wrote:Consider changing it so it doesn't use the PMIII mesh texture in the background. Yes, it looks nice, but I think you could use a texture that matches your entire skin a little better. Or just allow people to disable it or use a different option?
Good suggestion... Maybe I'll come up with something Big Grin

szsori Wrote:Finally, there are a handful of us that can't run at 720p due to our televisions not handling it. The work to make a skin work in 480p mode is pretty much limited to modifying the fonts file and minor position adjustments. Can you consider throwing us a bone and trying to get it working? Smile
Big Grin Read my above post about this... The 4:3 part... its not that we dont care, or we dont want to... its just that it wouldn't fit with how the skin is

dont worry, someoen will come along for you guys and get it done Smile Hopefully they can pull it off
I like it, feels very fresh.

Must say that the home page have a nice way of using the wide icons!

Personally those scroll left/right home pages are a bad thing for my wiiremote, but they look fantastic Smile

Good job! hope to see it soon.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I like it and will definitely give it a shot once we get the chance.
take your time 99 Wink
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vision 2 skin release4