• 7(current)
XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
Okay so I figured out how to get around all this on my own...

Anyone else find themselves with a broken xbmc install after updating with the latest PPA?
I just installed xbmc with synaptic in ubuntu hardy and when I launch it, it appears for a split second then disappears. I'm a linux beginner, but have been using xbmc since its launch on the original xbox. Anyone else having this issue.
I bet you are using the older PPA and not the latest XBMC Atlantis PPA.

Read the last page here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35829&page=2
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
All I see available is hardy2. Where would I get 8.10a3-hardy1.
If it is 8.10a3-hard2 that is fine as well. If you think you have that installed, then provide more details.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
ok, uninstalled and re-installed and still when I launc it the program starts then dissapears. I tried running in terminal and this is what I get.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Please read up on how to provide the correct details (xbmc.log and backtrace).

ok, I will and get back.
When is the alpha3 going to be backported into daily build SVN?
Pardon? Daily build SVN is alpha3 + fixes.

Sorry I meant in the SVN PPA (daily builds) (If you have a look the compile date for SVN is 8th of august and the HARDY PPA was built on the 15th Wink
Right now, it is just the Alphas/Betas until release.

SVN PPA is not maintain anymore for the moment (until the official release) . This is for ppl to test the alpha and beta release and report bugs.

Want a clean no-ads paste bin? http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/
PPA install appears to be the recommended model for 'testing' XBMC Atlantis, so I decided to try it out (I have always built from SVN in the past). Keep in mind that I have limited experience in Linux itself, so PPA manager is new for me.
I am running Linux Gutsy.

1. Open System > Administration > Software Sources and press Third-Party software tab
2. Press Add to add a new repository
3. Enter APT line:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-gutsy/ubuntu gutsy main
4. Press Add Source
5. Press Add to add a new repository
6. Enter APT line:
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-gutsy/ubuntu gutsy main
7. Press Add Source and then click Close to save changes
8. Open System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
9. With "All" highlighted in the left hand list, scroll down the right hand list to find:
xbmc
10. Mark xbmc for installation
11. Popup indicates that additional repositories will be installed, Close.
xbmc-common
xbmc-skin-pm3
xbmc-web-pm3
12. Click Apply
13. Click Apply on No Authentication popup.
14. XBMC downloads
15. Close PPA manager
16. Open Applications > Sound & Video > XBMC Media Center

Since that time I have successfully loaded XTV skin using PPA manager using the same steps.

However, now I am racking my brain trying to figure out:
1) How to modify the keymap.xml file, as the file that I have found is in usr/share/xbmc/system, but I 'do not have permission to edit it'
2) How to add skins that are not in the SVN, as I have read through this forum and created a xbmc/skin folder in my home folder, no luck, and I have tried copying and pasting to the usr/share/xbmc/skin folder but again I 'do not have permission to paste to'
3) How to add plugins and scripts, again I 'do not have permission to paste to' usr/share/xbmc/userdata/... folder

any direction would be appreciated
bionic1234 Wrote:However, now I am racking my brain trying to figure out:
1) How to modify the keymap.xml file, as the file that I have found is in usr/share/xbmc/system, but I 'do not have permission to edit it'
2) How to add skins that are not in the SVN, as I have read through this forum and created a xbmc/skin folder in my home folder, no luck, and I have tried copying and pasting to the usr/share/xbmc/skin folder but again I 'do not have permission to paste to'
3) How to add plugins and scripts, again I 'do not have permission to paste to' usr/share/xbmc/userdata/... folder

any direction would be appreciated

All custom files you create/modify/edit need to go in home/youruser/.xbmc/userdata. The keymap.xml is in the root and the skins/plugins go in the respective folders. Keep in mind that the .xbmc folder is hidden, so to see it you'll need to hit Ctrl-H.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)12