[WINDOWS] PortableApps.com USB Edition portable version of XBMC for Windows
This is exactly what I have been looking for. jpoul are you ever planning on releasing this to the public? Seems like the devs are cool with it as long as the links are included ect. It would be a real life saver and a great way I can show people the great software that is XBMC without installing first.
jpoul Wrote:thanx spiff....

So, u are saying that it is ok to redistribute the launcher - probably publish it in the portable apps site along with the rest applications for downloading, as long as I include the "basics" (source, links etc.) ?

(Being a developer myself, I try always to be absolutely sure that my actions are in accordance with one publisher's license - that's why I kept the launcher for myself.)

please upload it im really after a portable version i can just install on my ex hdd so i can just launch everything from there
BUMP again!
Really really looking for this. Can someone/anyone please make it happen. It would be a great way I can show off the great system to many who do not quite know about it yet. Please oh please I'm begging from my knees.
http://portableapps.com/node/29389
  • I chose to go with the 11 Eden release, as I was getting errors on all my python scripts/addons, running xbmc "wrapped" with the PortableApps.com launcher. I have absolutely no clue about python and the inner workings, so I tried the last nightly and it just worked.
  • Tried unpacking the original exe with 7z to the PortableApps.com installation, but that didn't gave me a working installation. So, I had to go with a zipped version of a default installation - a thing that is copy-pastable, in order to use the online installation feature of the PortableApps platform. Hitherto, I uploaded the installer on my dropbox, so that the "concept" works for now. Is there any extractable version of XBMC available for download? If not, is there any way to actually get one?

Try it and let me know.
awesome! I'll give it a go and let you know.

jpoul, one thing I could not figure out is how to get the exe to run in portable mode without the -p in command line. How did you get around this as I do not think portableapps would allow it. Do the addons and userdata folder all install to the thumbdrive, or does it go to the users folder on the computer you are using it on? I ask first as the computer I will test it on has settings I do not wish to mess up.
I use the portableapps launcher, so I actually invoke xbmc.exe -p as the executable. You could look the launcher.ini file in the App\AppInfo\Launcher folder to see what I mean. It has absolutely nothing to do with the computer it is running on, it is completely portable. That said, it is in a development test release, so make a backup before you test. Better safe than sorry.
thanks for the info. I'll hold off for a little while you fine tune it (: Please keep us up to date in this forum, I have it book marked!
I'm not sure if this is a bug with XBMC or just the portable version, so I'll ask.

For some reason I have been unable to use the Milkdrop preset megapack located here. XBMC doesn't recognize them as existing. I placed the zip in X:\PortableApps\XBMCPortable\App\XBMC\addons\visualization.milkdrop\presets, but it does not show up as a selectable preset pack within the visualization configuration. Has anybody got this to work? Is there something else I need to change?

Additionally I have not been able to get any dvd's to play within XBMC. I posted elsewhere in the forums thinking it was just a general XBMC problem, but I'm wondering if it's an issue with the portable version.

Can someone check to see if they're having the same problems using the package that jpoul developed here?
Looks like zipped/rar'ed preset packs must either

A) have the same name as ONE of these TWO hard-coded files:

else if (strcmp(id, "Preset Pack") == 0)
{
if (*(int*)value == 0)
{
g_UserPackFolder = false;;
SetPresetDir ("WA51-presets(265).zip");
}
else if (*(int*)value == 1)
{
g_UserPackFolder = false;
SetPresetDir ("Winamp-presets(436).zip");
}
else if (*(int*)value == 2)
g_UserPackFolder = true;
}
else if (strcmp(id, "User Preset Folder") ==0 )
{
if (g_UserPackFolder) SetPresetDir ((char*)value);
}
else
return ADDON_STATUS_UNKNOWN;

return ADDON_STATUS_OK;
}

OR

B) be unzipped in a directory and point the milkdrop plugin to the directory that contains all the .milk files.

Hard coded presets can be seen here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...opXBMC.cpp
and maybe someone will fix this at some point to search the directory for any .zip/.rar/.7z files.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions...
(2009-09-28, 03:51)Shish Wrote: I have XBMC installed on my portable hard drive for use at friend's houses and such; the -p switch is happily storing all my settings in the right place, but when adding things to the media library, they're stored with the drive letter included, and this changes on each PC, so the library breaks.

As such, I think a virtual drive (similar to the existing special://home/ ) which refers to "whatever drive the current XBMC install is running on" would be very useful.

(In the meantime I'm trying to write a plugin to achieve the same effect, but that's being a pain, and needs a separate plugin for each of video / music / photos, and it seems painfully slow compared to accessing the filesystem directly...)

you should do this:

1) you need ONE subst drive (in my case X) - that's all you need... then

x:\virtual media folders <-- REAL FOLDER
x:\virtual media folders\My Movies <--- a Symbolic link to ANY place you choose
x:\virtual media folders\My Music <--- a Symbolic link to ANY place you choose
x:\virtual media folders\My TV Series <--- a Symbolic link to ANY place you choose

When you setup your XBMC 'sources', ALWAYS point to X:\Virttual Media Folders\<whatever> then you can remap <whatever> as you please, without breaking the library :-)

Here's an example 'Portable Launcher' batch file for you to use (it assumes the 'bat' file is in the same place as xbmc):

@echo off
Rem ****** Map X: to this folder *********
subst X: /D
subst X: "%~dp0."

Rem ****** Create Virtual Media Folders ********
rd /S /Q "x:\Virtual Media Folders"
mkdir "x:\Virtual Media Folders"

mklink /D "x:\Virtual Media Folders\Backdrops 01" "F:\Media\Backdrops 01"
mklink /D "x:\Virtual Media Folders\Movies 01" "F:\Movies 01"
mklink /D "x:\Virtual Media Folders\Music 01" "D:\Data\Music\Processed"
mklink /D "x:\Virtual Media Folders\Music Videos 01! "F:\Music Videos 01"
mklink /D "x:\Virtual Media Folders\TV Series 01" "F:\TV Series 01"

Rem ****** Launch XBMC ********
start /B x:\XBMC\XBMC.exe -p

HOPEFULLY you'll grasp what this is doing. It's very simple in essence and ideal for portable users.
It does what 'sources' SHOULD do in XBMC (but doesn't)
My big respect to mwayne (Mike Wodarczyk) (re)starting on August 14, 2016 to make KODI an PortableApp !
http://portableapps.com/node/54938
I hope the KODI-Developers are also finally interested to do a real PortableApp ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] PortableApps.com USB Edition portable version of XBMC for Windows1