Touchscreen support in XBMC for Mac?
Question 
Quick Question guys.

Currently we have 6 xboxes running XMBC and hope to upgrade to Mac Mini's or a linux PC box in the medium term.

One of the OSXBMC's will be hooked up to a Projector. Now its a bit of a waste of bulb life when one just wants to listen to music via the OSXBMC's and PJ bulbs are quite expensive.

So I was wondering is it or would it be possible to run two displays off an OSXBMC mac mini. One being the PJ obviously and the other being a small touch screen display that is used as secondary display and more crucially touch screen control interface. Cool factor and best thing for the job! How about emulating the I-touch interface!!?? ie scrolling through the coverflow album art like on an i-phone/i-touch with the big (relatively speaking) touch screen display.

So is it possible??
calibos Wrote:Quick Question guys.

Currently we have 6 xboxes running XBMC and hope to upgrade to Mac Mini's or a linux PC box in the medium term.

One of the OSXBMC's will be hooked up to a Projector. Now its a bit of a waste of bulb life when one just wants to listen to music via the OSXBMC's and PJ bulbs are quite expensive.

So I was wondering is it or would it be possible to run two displays off an OSXBMC mac mini. One being the PJ obviously and the other being a small touch screen display that is used as secondary display and more crucially touch screen control interface. Cool factor and best thing for the job! How about emulating the I-touch interface!!?? ie scrolling through the coverflow album art like on an i-phone/i-touch with the big (relatively speaking) touch screen display.

So is it possible??

You can certionally mirror the display and have the same thing on both. You could also have XBMC only open on one display. Likewise touch screen is practical on one display to emulate mouse support.

However I don't think it's "currently" possiable, or "likely" in the distant future to have XBMC control screen come up on one display (touchscreen) while it only outputs videos to the other (projector), though it could be done if someone spends the time to code it.

I would say mirror the displays and use the touchscreen with mouse support. Sure when your using the projector you'll see the same thing on the projector screen as the touchscreen so it's not quite as fancy, but it still works and looks nice.
Anything is possible you just gotta find programmers willing to spend the time on it Wink
XBMC (at least the Linux port version) is already designed to be touch-screen friendly as long as the touch-screen emulates a mouse.

The alternative; as XBMC already has a built-in WebServer which was designed to host a web-remote for XBMC you have an alternative to simply it on the other screen (or even a other computer, or PDA), why not just use it instead if you only want the use the touchscreen as the remote-control and not the actual display? Checkout the AJAX interface for an example:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph...tid=581840
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Actually I wasn't even thinking of using the touch screen when the projector was being used or only having the interface on one screen and only video on the other or anything like that. I figured I would just use a conventional remote or Wiimote for navigating XBMC when one was actually using the projector. But if you were just listening to music and didn't want to waste precious bulb hours that you would use a secondary display ie. a computer monitor. Then I figured 1. it would feel a bit silly navigating with a remote when you are standing or sitting 1ft from your secondary monitor display...and then touch screen hit me.

So thats pretty cool then. The functionality I was hoping for is already in there!

Anyone know if its coded for or even possible to have the coverflow interactive with the touch screen interface, ie brushing finger across screen to flip album covers
calibos Wrote:Anyone know if its coded for or even possible to have the coverflow interactive with the touch screen interface, ie brushing finger across screen to flip album covers

you won't get cover flow like goodness, basically what ever you can do with a mouse is how a touch screen would work from what I gather.
iordonez Wrote:you won't get cover flow like goodness, basically what ever you can do with a mouse is how a touch screen would work from what I gather.

Like clicking and dragging on a scrollbar with a mouse. Would that not be similar to pressing the screen and dragging your finger across.
yeah, I guess if you can get the screen to recognize that your dragging and not just moving the cursor that should work...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Touchscreen support in XBMC for Mac?0