Artwork becoming pixelated. How to fix or better yet, avoid?
Using the latest stable branch I've noticed that every so often my artwork, both posters and fanart becomes heavily pixelated. If I look in the folders where the artwork is stored (alongside the video files) the artwork stored there is pixelated so Kodi is actually overwriting my artwork. It's getting to be rather tedious going through my entire library every few months or so to re-add the artwork. Is there any reason this is happening and how can I avoid it in the future?
The only reason that Kodi would be overwriting your Artwork is that you have run the Export option and said yes to Export Artwork, then said yes to Overwrite Existing.

Have you done that?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
No. I have on occasion added new movies or shows but I don't specifically overwrite the existing artwork. The only time I export the library and artwork is after I have fixed them all manually in Kodi. This is why I am confused as to why it's happening. I've had to go through my entire library 5 or 6 times now and am getting rather peeved.

EDIT - For the sake of argument, let's say after I fix the artwork manually in Kodi that some of the artwork is messed up during the overwrite and I just don't notice it for a while, though this is unlikely because when I do notice it it's typically almost every single piece of artowrk. Why would this happen in any event?
(2018-08-04, 22:53)dkplayaclub Wrote: The only time I export the library and artwork is after I have fixed them all manually in Kodi.
Even though you said No, in the next sentence you state that you do.

You download and store your artwork next to the movie file. Kodi then scans it into the library and caches it. The cache will reduce the size of the image by default... https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork#Cache

You then run the export and answer Yes to the images question, and it overwrites your full resolution, good quality artwork with the lower quality cached images.

Even if you don't have local artwork, the same process occurs with the online artwork. It gets cached to a lower quality, then you export the lower quality.

If you have local artwork, do not export artwork from the library. Answer NO to the question when asked. And you cannot export selectively. You run the export, it will export the whole library, not just one or two movies.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I'm not contradictimg myself as you are insinuating. Maybe I was not clear. I only export the library AFTER I have finished correcting the pixelation errors by manually restoring all of my artowrk. I have NEVER run the export in between then and when the artwork again becomes pixelated, so I am not overwriting my local artowrk with lower res images from the cache as you suggest. This issue has only been happening since I updated to 17.6. Before that, I have never had an issue like this in all the years I've been using Kodi, going all the way back to the old XBMC on XBox days.

Also, it's not like the art is being replaced with lower resolution images. It's more like they have been run through a scrambling filter. The pixelation is EXTREMELY bad, to the point where I can't even read the text on posters in some cases.
A much more indepth disscussion of this issue is here (read post#23) https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=328534

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artwork becoming pixelated. How to fix or better yet, avoid?0