XBMC for Mac forked for a separate project called PLEX (formarly known as "OSXBMC")
@Equusz, you do not have the full picture so please refrain from making assumptions, (and please do not insult other community members, no matter what they say to you). I highly recommend that you (and everyone else here) read this:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-ques...l#keepcool
and this:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-ques...not_losing

In the end it was Elan choice to leave Team-XBMC, (we did not force him no matter what you might hear elsewhere), and I honestly do not think there is anything that we on Team-XBMC or you the users can do to make him come back right now. I do not believe that Team-XBMC put too much pressure on Elan, to summarize it we really only requested for the source code to be released before or at the same time as any binaries (as per the GPL), and that the source code was not committed to the main SVN branch in huge chunks but rather smaller per feature commits. Nor is it my belief that Team-XBMC have too much bureaucracy, you have to understand that as a more than a one man project we need to have some common rules and guidelines (these rules and guidelines are of course open to discussion internally in the team but one single person does not have right to simply refuse to follow the rules and guidelines set before him just because he does not agree with them, try to change them to an acceptable compromise or go with the majority is the correct solution, not let one individual set his own rules).

It is true that both the people on Team-XBMC and the people behind osxbmc.org could have handled the whole situation differently, but what's been done has been done and what's been said has been said. Team-XBMC have learned from the experience and I very much doubt that we will make the same mistakes again.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I work in a software company that has traditionally followed the Waterfall development methodology (i.e. concept, requirements, design, build, test, and release, in that order) for their entire products or releases.

Some parts of our company are now implementing Agile development methodology (i.e. same steps, but in 4 week "sprints", at the end of which you have a working product). Agile usually not planning out what you're going to be doing beyond 1-2 months. At the end of each month you figure out what you'll do the next month.

It has been an absolute hell trying to get coordination between the groups, since they're basically on different schedules (6-12 months vs 1 month) and Agile doesn't have the long term plan, so syncing dependencies is tricky.

Why am I talking about this? I see parallels in the current situation. Neither group is "wrong", they're just working differently than the other group. There are times and places for any type of work style and methodology. I'm not generally one to tell someone how to do their work, what tools to use, or anything else, as long as they deliver in the end. Other people have different styles. Again, neither are "wrong".

Any-hoo. Just saw the parallels and thought it was interesting.

Now let's put this behind us and get some Front Row killing software! Smile
@roopesh: Thanks for the insightful post, there are definitely different styles at play here, and I personally will never claim that either one is "right" vs "wrong".

I haven't actually read the forum for quite a while because I want to get back and focus on writing code and I don't think all this speculation about "ulterior motives" and such is really useful. There is no conspiracy at work here.

At the end of the day, I want to consider this an amiable split. I still correspond privately and constructively with a number of the XBMC team members and plan to continue to do so.

Let's get beyond this and make some great software even better.

-elan
Gamester17 Wrote:Please read the XBMC manifesto (The vision of Team-XBMC) and you will understand that we are on the same page:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=The_XBMC_manifesto

The history of the XBMC project can be found on wikipedia if you are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC#XBox_M...29_History

If that is the case then that's sweet then. I suppose my point was actually to try and integrate XBMC as tightly into Mac OS X as possible, rather than just 'porting'.

From my limited use of XBMC on OS X it is a great app (and I will be using it) however there are some things you can learn from Front Row IMO.

Good luck!
Gamester17:

Talk to your own team-members about insulting others before you even start throwing that my way. Saying that Elan's heartfelt post about what's going on is "obviously a joke post" is an insult of the highest caliber.
Huh

who said any such thing? where? what?
yuvalt Wrote:I think elan is a great developer but he was not a TEAM PLAYER.

Gamester, if we're editing posts which personally insult people, I'd kindly request that you require the same integrity from people on your team. We should be able to have a mature discussion without denigrating each other.

For the love of dog, can we all just move on and and get back to writing 0's and 1's in our favorite editors?

Thanks,

-elan
Equusz used a swearword and that is why I edited his post. I few hours ago I respectfully asked Team-XBMC to stop the trash talk, and Cullman requested everyone on osxbmc.org to do the same, we will see how this plays out internaly. I too think is time to more on, I now just hope the end-users will do the same.

Topic-thread closed.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
So ... apparently the _fantastic_ osxbmc - the "just works" version that finally provided a workable replacement for xbmc on the xbox, with the strength of the mac mini for HD playback ... apparently that was bad news to folks here ?

Because now the author is rebranding, renaming, and reskinning, and basically forking the whole thing because I guess people here just couldn't stand that osxbmc existed ?

Can someone explain what the problem was, please ?

Because osxbmc is just going to turn into garbage now - into some gee-whiz mac app for morons, all rebranded and reskinned and reworked ... instead of just being plain old XBMC for a mac. Which is all anybody wanted.

Let's be clear - the pre-plex, PM3, _normal_ versions of osxbmc that were released in the last 6 months are _the most important_ developments for XBMC in four years. Nothing you have done is anywhere close to just firing up a cheap little mac mini and watching high def content on the same UI that I used for years on my xbox.

But I guess that was just too good to let live, huh ? Better kill that off ASAP. Now we have to live with god-knows-what weirdo app it morphs into because you couldn't just leave well enough alone.

Seriously, what (lame) problem did you have with osxbmc ? I'd really like to know.

You just made the world slightly worse off.
can you show me the threads ?

I read through the "why I like OSXBMC blah blah" thread and did not see anything there about why OSXBMC couldn't continue on as they were.

I think you are misunderstanding - I _want_ osxbmc to remain just like plain old XBMC. It is my impression that they _are being forced_ to rename and reskin and retool because of some problems that XBMC has with them.

Is that incorrect ?

Please show me the threads - I would like very much to see why this is happening.
You can grab the XBMC for OSX release over on SourceForge - see the "download" link from xbmc.org.

Plex is a fork of our codebase. Good luck to them. Team XBMC can and is still developing XBMC on all platforms.

You can expect a news post shortly about the next scheduled release(s), else you are free to build it yourself direct from SVN, as many others do.

Plenty of posts on here and over at Plex about why we're going our separate ways - I'll leave it up to you to read those.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Yeah.

Just read all that.

Wow. What a total, total waste, from all directions, from everyone involved.

I've been using XBMC for 5 years now, and I can tell you that OSXBMC running on the mini was the best thing that ever happened to this project.

And now you force them to muck it all up into some weirdo, non-osxbmc mac trash, while at the same time we can all hope that maybe in a year or so you'll have a comparable product to what they had prior to the fork.

Keep up the good work!
please, i was in a good mood this evening and then you have to go ahead and remind me of all the morons in the world.grrrrr
toover: You are welcome to your opinions. We certainly don't force elan et. al. to do anything in regards to the direction they take Plex in - I'm sure he'd be in happy agreement with that. What they do with the code is completely up to them. If you have a problem with Plex, then take your complaints to them, or don't use it.

If you have a problem with XBMC for OSX (have you even tried it?) then feel free to post suggestions as to how we can improve it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

toover Wrote:You just made the world slightly worse off.

Pot.

Kettle.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Mac forked for a separate project called PLEX (formarly known as "OSXBMC")0