Poll: Would you like the option to switch certain views on and off for different windows?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
86.21%
I don't care!
13.79%
No!
0%
Total
29 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

POLL: Enable / Disable specific views?
It seems I keep running into this issue both in the emails I get from users and the day-to-day use of the skin. I know the team seems to frown upon the idea of having view types you can enable/disable, and I get that there's a need to keep the number of views to a minimum. But, given that even a modest XBMC skin will inevitably need, at least, Icon, List, Poster and Wide views to reach an audience, this issue of wanting to streamline your browsing experience remains.

Personally, I want to have two views I can switch between for any one type of media - and that's it. What I don't want is to have to click through two or three other views to get there. At the same time, however, I appreciate that others might want to use a different pair of views, or maybe all the views. What better way to please everyone than to create your own view type sets?

Apologies if this is a coding nightmare - in which case, fuck it, it's not that big a problem - but it seems wrong for a skinner to have to choose between limiting their audience or tolerating the sense of bulkiness and bloat that comes with cycling views. I only have anecdotal evidence to say that others feel the same, so I'm putting a poll up to find out.
I think choice is great. The same 3 views that look great in movies view will not necessarily look good in the Tvshows title view. So then you have say 6 views. Then with seasons and and episode views you might run into similar issues. I suggest you take a glance at how I worked around that in my mod. Some views are only visible in movies and some are only visible in TVshowstitle, Tvshowsepisodes etc. Some of the views also change dynamically depending on if the content is tv or movies or Livetv (mythtv) this allows some of them to work in multiple areas but still look different. If you can come up with a way to list a whole slew of views in the settings menu that the user can "cherrypick" from then that is great. It will probably be a pain in the arse for you though. I think that most people don't like having to flip through a bunch of views that don't quite look right with the current information. If you could narrow it down so that each area has 2,3, even 4 views specifically designed for that information I think *most* people would be happy.
Yes, I must say ever since conditional visibility can be used on viewtypes you can get things to look much cleaner because you're able to really finetune the viewtype for the specific content that is listed. Definitely worth looking into.
Hang on... have I missed something? Can you actually switch off the views using conditional visibility now?
Yes you can Smile
djh_ Wrote:Hang on... have I missed something? Can you actually switch off the views using conditional visibility now?

Yeah, it works great with your current <onclick>Skin.SetBool(videotv)</onclick> etc. setup. If you haven't checked out the mod you should give it a go and see if it has anything you could use. Cheers.
Oh ffs, it really does work. Can someone please lock this thread before it embarrasses me further?

And I made a fucking poll.
hehe, no worries m8. The skinning engine gets better and better each day. It is hard to keep up! Keep up the good work. I am anxiously awaiting the next release.
djh_ glad to see that it can work for you. We decided to use this as the main thrust of the fluid project from the word go. It's a really good and clever way of being able to create really unique and individual views for the different sections.

It's a winner!
I voted yes and then read the rest of the thread.

What I'd ultimately like to see is ability to turn off all options once you've settled on how you like a skins layout.
hehe yeah PM3 has been using this in its library for a few weeks now Smile
Smile 
Now we are Talking, since I was told that the POSTER view will be taken away from Aeon, I left the skin. Now whats this all about "conditional visibility". LOL Laugh
Eh? Wha-? Poster view taken away?

Have I missed something?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
POLL: Enable / Disable specific views?0