Files saved on the Pi show as zero bytes in Win 10
Hi:
Some threads here have solved some previous issues I had but I couldn't find an answer to my
current problem.  Maybe I didn't search thoroughly enough. If the answer is in another thread, direct me
to it or maybe someone else has the same problem.
I have a Seagate 1TB USB drive which normally is attached to to my PC running Windows 10.
When I attach the Seagate to the Pi, I can look at images, play existing videos, etc. but when I save content
generated by the Pi, Windows 10 tells me it is zero bytes.  I know the drive is okay and I am sure it
is something the Pi is doing to cause this problem. The Seagate is formatted NTFS.
The Pi is running OSMC.  My problem started shortly after June 2017 when I had to find an alternative
to Kodi due to all the lawsuits.  I used to be able to download content from Phoenix and had no
problems with any files after attaching the Seagate to my PC.
The Pi can play back what it saves to the Seagate but Win 10 cannot.
Win 10 is up to date and so is the software on the Pi.
Any ideas ?
(2018-08-24, 05:40)enigma-man Wrote: but when I save content
generated by the Pi

could you please explaine that a bit more?

Be aware that if you are using some banned addon (Phoenix is one of them), you won't receive any support at this forum.

So please tell us, how and which kind of content is "generated by the Pi"
The reference to Phoenix was an example where the file, whether it was a video/jpg or whatever, was able to be seen by Win 10 without problems.
The problem of zero byte file size showed up when I had to reinstall everything and seems to be related to Kodi after June of last year.
I am going to try a few things this weekend. I have another 1TB USB drive (non Seagate) and will see if the problem is the same on it.
I will relay the findings. I can't be the only guy on the planet with this issue.
It isn't a life or death big deal, but, as I mentioned everything worked fine before and the only difference is now it's OSMC and the latest Kodi.
Problem solved... Sort of...
I had an old 4GB USB Stick that is formatted as FAT32.
A small 12MB video file was saved from the Pi to the stick.
I plugged the stick into the PC and Windows 10 and the file showed up and played.

So, the problem is with the Pi or Kodi not writing the correct info to NTFS drives in order for Windows 10 to recognize the file whatever the extension.
NTFS works just fine on OSMC.
See https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/how-to-subm...t-request/.
Sad 
Thanks, Sam.

I didn't think it was OSMC. 
Today, there was an update to the Pi.  Maybe that solved the problem or maybe it was what I tried below.
I ran services.msc to see what was going on with Windows 10.  All services that were not required for my particular preferences were
still disabled, except for "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" which was running and set to automatic at startup.
I turned off the service and disabled it in properties. I then ejected the drive from the PC and hooked it up to the Pi, saved a five minute
random video, shut down the Pi and reattached the drive to the PC.
The video was there showing the correct file size and played in both VLC and Windows Media Player.
Not sure if it was the update or my actions, or both.
I suppose I could enable the Media Network Sharing Service again and try it, but I'd rather not.

So, it appears to be problem solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Files saved on the Pi show as zero bytes in Win 100