Apple TV?
I searched (went back 12 pages and used the search) but could not find this question/answer so please don't flame if i missed it.

I saw that the new apple tv's can play 720p/1080i.

Has anyone tried to put xbmc onto the Apple TV?

Is it even worth it since it has been hacked to play all types of formats and could use smb.

The reason I am asking is that I LOVE the library feature.

Thanks so much.
What new AppleTV? The AppleTV hardware is the same since introduced (except for larger HD). AppleTV under it's native OS can display to various resolutions but that's not the same as decoding resolution.

You could but no one has done it. For XBMC under linux on the AppleTV see the LiveXBMCv2 thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32853

Or the AppleTV thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31348
AppleTV's are very weak and can play only SOME 720p content, and so far NO .mkv content. It's really not worth the effort since the GPU code isn't out there. Mac Mini is a much more robust way to go.
Stronger than a 2GHz P4, but not as strong as a Core2 Duo of any flavor. Wink
Thanks for the answers guys.

the reason i asked is because i happened to see a deal on an apple tv and would have pulled the trigger if it could use xbmc and play some decent high def content, but i will hold off.
feerlessleadr Wrote:Thanks for the answers guys.

the reason i asked is because i happened to see a deal on an apple tv and would have pulled the trigger if it could use xbmc and play some decent high def content, but i will hold off.

Yeah, aTV is rather limited unless you only go with apple's content offerings. I would suggest you go look at getting a Mac Mini. Used on eBay, refurbished from apple or just flat out new. I sold my aTV because it couldn't do anything more than my XBOX1 with XBMC which was disappointing.
Smile 
iordonez Wrote:AppleTV's are very weak and can play only SOME 720p content, and so far NO .mkv content.
IMHO the XBMC on native Apple TV would be worth it as a stright of Xbox replacement for standard-definition playback (no native 720p/1080i/1080p playback) and upscaling those standard-definition resolution videos to 720p/1080i/1080p.

Sure you will not be able to play Xbox games on the Apple TV but if you are looking for a great media streamer with the XBMC interface and do not care about high-definition playback then the Apple TV could be a great alternative to the old Xbox.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
This should be fairly easy to do. AppleTV runs a modified version of OSX, with "backrow" instead of "frontrow".

There are instructions on how to boot to an OSX desktop here:

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/04/01/m...-apple-tv/

From there, it's trivial to download the OSX port of XBMC and run it.

I don't have one, so someone tell me how it works Smile

Wes
waldo22 Wrote:This should be fairly easy to do. AppleTV runs a modified version of OSX, with "backrow" instead of "frontrow".

There are instructions on how to boot to an OSX desktop here:

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/04/01/m...-apple-tv/

From there, it's trivial to download the OSX port of XBMC and run it.

I don't have one, so someone tell me how it works Smile

Wes

It's more tricky than one is lead to believe. The AppleTV is a Pentium-M which means only sse2, no sse3. Which is by default how most OSX apps are built (all OSX boxes are Core Duo or better). USB, wired ethernet and some other subsystems need fixes and custom build kexts to function. It's very tricky to create a fully working OSX box using the AppleTV. In addition, most "guides" you will find are 10.4.xx based and right now you need 10.5.xx to run XBMC on OSX.

And under the normal AppleTV OS as a plugin, you have to be aware of the "watchdog" or you will reboot in 5 mins.

That's not to say it's impossible, it's just complex. If you just want XBMC, the XBMC on Linux already runs fine (with-in it's performance capabilities) on the AppleTV.
davilla Wrote:In addition, most "guides" you will find are 10.4.xx based and right now you need 10.5.xx to run XBMC on OSX.

I noticed that after I posted, and I read about some kext issues, but I wasn't aware of the SSE2/SSE3 problem.

Thanks for the info. It's always something, isn't it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV?0