Tool Thread
I wanted to start a thread for suggesting/listing various tools used in development. Since my personal linux development experience is on the light side, it's mostly to help me, but this way everyone can benefit later.

So there's a kdevelop solution included, that's really handy. I've loaded up GHex for hex editing, currently using BareTailPro for log tailing (but it is W32 and requires Wine so not ideal) and have Terminator as my terminal/shell program.

I need a good, preferably lightweight XML viewer/editor right now. The main thing I would like is element collapsing/folding.

-- cheers
Umbrello seems to be the tool of choice for class modeling.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Lin..._resources

Feel free to update the wiki if you like, ...PM pike to get 'ninja' access (write rights):
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks, I totally missed that part of the wiki. I'm really trying to cram here and be productive. I will IM for write access, thanks.

tim
MELD

This is an amazing, graphical diff/merge tool with SVN support. I used it for about 10 minutes and knew I was in love.
reading the wiki about developing xbmc on linux there is mentioned that the default tools are Eclipse and a few lines later its kdevelop.

Whats the case here? Like to know if there is a standard tool chosen for developing xbmc and what the pros and cons are. Are there project files for both, etc.

I know most devs use what they like best. Just need een objective practical answer.
Main pc: P3-333 daimond viper
ide's only gets in my way. 'vim' all the way baby.

i think eclipse is the only gui really used by linux devs. and codelite by one (for debugging purposes only).
I expected vim to be mentioned Smile

Although I like vim for quick edits etc, I'm more into full ide's... VIM does not cut it for me 'personally'. I started programming with notepad... so I'm a little spoiled on the gui stuff Wink

any reason to choose kdevelop or eclipse over the other?
well; from my personal experience it's a choice between

crashes-if-u-look-at-it-hell (kdevelop)
vs
slower-than-molassis-hell (eclipse)

i.e. a choose your poison scenario
Tried kdevelop and eclipse... both are fast.

Both are serious developmenttools, but eclipse just has the edge in its crossplatform and multilanguage support. My choice is eclipse.

vim and ddd will stay for some quick hacking etc. Wink

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tool Thread2