Ubuntu 18 Kodi Leia - Are any of the builds anything approaching stable?
I am attempting to install Kodi Keia beta following the wiki instructions for installing from the nightly PPA. This is running in conjunction with TVHeadEnd 4.3. The whole setup is running in WMWare Workstation on a Ubuntu 18 platform. Leia boots ok, then when the PVR manager starts up it crashes. Keeps dying at exactly the same point. Is anyone aware of this issue and/or can suggest a solution/alternative Leia build to try? Thanks.
Wmware is a virtual environment isn’t it? Kodi doesn’t play well at all under a virtual environment
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
strange, because I've installed kodi also in a vmware virtual machine for testing with tvheadend, based on ubuntu server 18.04.1 and it works flawlessy here no crash at all.
Ummm, I'm running 18.0-BETA3 Git:20180923-1a67bd7 on one machine and 18.0-BETA3 Git:20180913-e313d39 on another and both are perfectly stable.  TVH version is 4.3-1292~g9b9ee68 (2018-07-26T08:57:27+0000).

Perhaps a debug log (wiki) would provide some insight ?  Other than that, everybody is just guessing.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I am installing from the terminal as per this Kodi wiki page: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...ment_build...I am not sure how I can amend this syntax to install specific builds within the repo. Can anyone advise on that? I will have a go at using them and if I still have no luck, will post debug logs. Thanks.
Remove the nightly PPA and add ppa:team-xbmc/unstable which will give you 2:18.0+git20180910.1208-beta2 for both xenial and bionic.  It's a downgrade from what you have now, but might help your issue.  You can install a specific build by forcing apt-get to install it.
Code:
sudo apt-get install <package name>=<version>
You can check what versions can be installed (from enabled ppa's) with
Code:
apt-cache policy kodi
downgrading to beta2 most likely won't help. I suspect your vmware install lacks proper OpenGL support.
How about posting a Debug Log?

edit: fyi, you won't get hardware decoding in vmware in any case
ok, now we are getting somewhere...2:18.0+git20180910.1208-beta2 installed successfully and i have successfully streamed some IPTV content from TVHeadEnd 4.3 into Kodi Leia...thanks for the input, black_eagle...

wsnipex...my playback is a bit slower and buggier on said IPTV content that when run in parallel in a next-pvr powered windows Leia build on a physical machine. is this because i am lacking hardware decoding in the VM? the VM is only a stopgap anyway...I am in the process of planning my HTPC hardware and want a working OS up and running before I do, which I am doing in VM...
The problem is that in a virtual environment a VM is lacking in a proper GPU, and is piggy backing off the physical machine's CPU, hence my original reply 'it doesn't play well'. 

Although @gdogg371 playing around in a VM is a good idea, just don't try and play and video that is GPU intensive, as it will either be blocky, or want play at all. So playback on IPTV is expected to be slow.

However - Ubuntu and TVheadend without Kodi in a VM works flawlessly, as it is only streaming a file at that point. (I do this at home as a daily driver)
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
Pretty much what the others have said.  A VM isn't likely to give you hardware decoding, meaning the CPU is doing twice as much work as it would be on a proper install.  If you want to test stuff, maybe a dual/triple boot install would be better than testing in a VM.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 18 Kodi Leia - Are any of the builds anything approaching stable?0