Advice on using Kodi (android tv or box?)
Hi everyboy
I'm new here and I have been ussing Kodi on my Win10 laptop for several weeks now.

I would like to use it on my tv to stream content (movies/tv series) but here's my current set up:

I don't have a smart tv, I still have those old tv's with scart.
I have cable tv provider (DVB-C) and good ethernet/wifi conection.

What do you guys recommend?
Get in the 21st century and buy a android tv (like Sony) and install Kodi on it?
Get a android box with Kodi?
Also a box would have to be a DVB-C digital cable receiver so I could take advantage of my cable/net service provider with scart in case I keep my old tv's that still work fine (I don't know if this exist).

Your recommendations are most welcome.
I should say that I'm from Portugal so bare that in mind as of some options might not work or be avaiable here.
(2018-09-25, 07:49)TVJesus Wrote: I would like to use it on my tv to stream content (movies/tv series)
I hope you did also read most of our forum rules (including the piracy policy) because you accepted them during registration, because we are in no way helping you on how to 'stream movies/tv series'.
We can direct you to our general add-ons section where lots of free content can be found.
I have no idea what the situation is on free-to-air IPTV channels in Portugal, you would have to contact your local internet provider or TV station(s) for that.

As far as hardware suggestions go, you can start to have a read here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
And definitely read the following....

The Sony Android TV Experience (2018/Nougat) (click)

I guess I can permanently scratch Sony off the TV wish list after that 'experience' Oo
Thank you for your answers.

Is Sony android TV 2018 models still that bad? I read the article...
Are there any decent android tv at reasonable prices?

Is there an android tv box with scart out and DVB-C tuner?

I was checking something like this:
https://business.wetek.com/set-top-boxes/maia/

But it has no scart.
Are those hdmi to scart adapters any good?
What do you recommend?
Buy a 4K HDR TV that has the best panel at a reasonable price. If going down the OLED route the 2018 Panasonics lead the field.

Then buy a NVIDIA Shield, it's the ONLY high quality, decent Android TV device on the market that gets ongoing support, virtually everything else sold to the mainstream public at a retail level is either underpowered or buggy (Xiaomi Mi Box).

I seriously doubt you will find any Scart support with any modern Android TV - Kodi - HDMI capable media players.
You would be looking at a some sort of DVB-C HDHomerun I would think if you want to take advantage of your existing cable/net service provider and interface that HDHR into Android TV's Live Channels setup. That route would be the cleanest setup.

The HDHomerun also has it's own Android TV - TV viewing App.

And out of left field, and if on a budget the MECOOL K1 Pro (click) comes with a single DVB-C tuner in some setups. That device has LibreELEC Kodi support, you would run LE / TvHeadend server software to use DVB-C. (I've not tested DVB-C with that sort of setup)
Also the K1 might come with inbuilt Android (Nougat) TV - or there are ATV ROM's available for it on the Freaktab website if you are the DIY type. That device can also dual boot Android / LibreELEC.

TV's running the Android TV OS will really not get markedly faster at affordable prices until the 2018 Sony "Master Series" comes down in price. That series has a much more powerful GPU included in it's new Chipset.
There are OS speedups and optimisations in Android TV Oreo for the current underpowered Chipset in Sony TV's - if Sony gets around to upgrading Firmware to Oreo.

It's also one of the main reasons why people are buying far more powerful NVIDIA Shields currently.

Come 2019, when Android (TV) P is released there will be further Google OS (and AMLogic) optimisations for cheap chipset devices, they are even talking about ATV running OK on 1GB RAM devices. I will believe it when I see it after the Xiaomi Mi Box fiasco.

Thank you for your answer Sir

I was considering this 2018 Sony model:
https://kagoo.co.uk/tvs/sony-kd-43xf7596

But since I read the article my fears and doubts left me questioning if the article is up to date with recent Sony models when it comes to android tv performance.
I think that model is not avaiable in the US.

I'm trying to find reviews about such model but they are scarce.
I believe that model came out on March 2018.

My budget is tight (about 500/600 €/$).
I don't need more than 43" size.

The Nvidia Shield is interesting but buying 2 devices is out of the question_

What I need is a "one size fits all" solution for my budget.

I like Sony (use to be a fan of the brand), my current analogic TV is about 20 years old (i have 2), my Hifi sound system is about 15 y/o and they still work fine with zero issues, I like things that last!

I know that Sony dropped the ball in the last decades with the rise of Samsung and LG (LG is the tv brand with most quality for price imo)...
LG is not out of the question but WebOS is not kodi compatible.

Thank you for your time.
(2018-09-26, 23:21)TVJesus Wrote: I know that Sony dropped the ball in the last decades with the rise of Samsung and LG (LG is the tv brand with most quality for price imo)...
LG is not out of the question but WebOS is not kodi compatible.
That is exactly what has happened, Google are supplying the virtually free Android TV OS to these TV manufacturers that have either noticably lost market share in recent years to competitors or are budget brand TV's.
All of which have "barely adequate enough" chipsets to barely run the unoptimised Android Nougat or earlier OS. That combo adds up to a bad experience for day to day usage.

If you only want Kodi, seriously look at the cheap AMLogic boxes with Wireless remotes (click) running LibreELEC. They will run rings around Kodi running on any Smart TV.
That way you still use the TV for copy protected streaming Apps and an Linux OS (LibreELEC) and Kodi optimised device solely for Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice on using Kodi (android tv or box?)0