Allow .jpg's to be used as thumbnails for videos
Like:

Movie Name.avi
Movie Name.jpg

I know it works if you rename them to .tbn but I was wondering if it would be possible to avoid that. Maybe have it look for both or an option in AdvancedSettings.xml to change the default thumbnail extension, like there is for <musicthumbs>.
name them folder.jpg
shouldt that work?
jazzen Wrote:name them folder.jpg
shouldt that work?

Not for me:

I know it is easy enough to just rename them all to .tbn but it's nice to be able to keep jpeg's as .jpg because when you are browsing them in windows explorer it will make use of thumbs and give you details like resolution in the status bar. MCE also uses the .jpg to automatically create the thumbnails in it's video section.
Question 
LaTropa64 Wrote:I know it works if you rename them to .tbn but I was wondering if it would be possible to avoid that.
May I ask why?, ...is there a other software application out there that uses them as thumbnails with the .JPG extension instead of .TBN?

I believe that Microsoft also supports JPG images renamed to TBN as thumbnails for videos under Windows Media Player and MCE, or am I wrong?

Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
If you want windows explorer to see tbn's as thumbnailed images check out this post...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29699
Gamester17 Wrote:I believe that Microsoft also supports JPG images renamed to TBN as thumbnails for videos under Windows Media Player and MCE, or am I wrong?

Huh
I have Vista MCE and I couldn't get it to work when they were tbn but jpg works fine. That and being able to do things like edit exif info and see the image resolution makes me wish I didn't have to rename them to tbn.

What about in Windows Media Player?

Huh

PS! As a workaround from a command promt you should be able to simply write "copy *.jpg *.tbn", or ("copy *.jpg *.tbn /s" to do it on all subfolders as well.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:What about in Windows Media Player?

Huh
Nope. It'll generate it's own thumbnails from a screenshot in the video but it won't use the tbn's at all.

Quote:PS! As a workaround from a command promt you should be able to simply write "copy *.jpg *.tbn", or ("copy *.jpg *.tbn /s" to do it on all subfolders as well.
Yeah, that's an option. That'll mean a lot more files in all my videos folder though. Smile I guess that won't hurt too bad. Big Grin
You can create hardlinks in windows XP using "fsutil hardlink create". If you "dir" the directory, you'll see two files -- movie.jpg and movie.tbn -- but it wont take up any more space on the disk. The biggest issue is that you can't tell which file is the original and which is the link.

I don't know of any way to create a symbolic link in windows xp. There is the junction/linkd tool but that only symlinks directories.
Just a bump on this request.

Personally, I've worked around my main gripe about tbn's (not being able to view them in explorer) with the suggestion link matt_cyr posted above but I think it would still be nice to just be able to leave them as jpg's all the time. I'm always sharing movies with friends and most of them are on a system where they just use MCE and so I have to rename all the tbn's to jpg's for them if they want to be able to see the poster art.

It would be great to just always leave my artwork as jpg's. It would be a lot easier to work with them too, when you want to open in photoshop and then save as without having to bother going out and renaming the extension.
Here's a cool thing about the .tbn files (I am using folders for movies, this isn't an option if you are not using folders for each show)

I have a standard rez image as my folder.jpg, this shows up everywhere as it's a default name for the image for a folder.

In the TBN file, I'm use a High Resolution Image of the poster, for library use.

For my high def images, the folder.jpg is an image that contains HD in big letters, so that if the family is viewing it on the xbox, they know that HD = won't play on it.

When browsing in windows explorer, or when it's on media, the folder.jpg is used, when displayed on an XBOX running xbmc, i use the file view, and the folder.jpg is displayed (its faster), when on faster hardware, I add the movie to the library and it uses the High Resolution image stored in the .tbn file. I could just filter out the folder from scans, but I like to be able to see that the movie is available, even if it needs a different playback device.

Adding the HD and sound tags to the .tbn if it's its high def, or adding those tags to the folder.jpg if it's SD content. There's lots of options.

If more then 1 jpg are in the folder, you will see a thumbnail window effect on the folder icon, i.e. it tries to show more of the images in the folder. Using tbn's rock in that windows doesn't pick up on them.

For photoshop, you could associate the extension with photoshop. You can even add an export filter and use .tbn for exported jpg images when using the save for web option.

And with the addition of movie.tbn, there's another level of options for the icons.

just my crazy way of thinking, there's never a wrong way to organize media
Yeah, I can see how there would be lots of great reasons for having .tbn, but I still think an option to support either/or would be ideal.

fekker Wrote:...

For photoshop, you could associate the extension with photoshop. You can even add an export filter and use .tbn for exported jpg images when using the save for web option.

Thanks. That will help a lot.

I've associated tbn's with windows photo gallery but you still have to click on each individual one to open them. For some reason it won't let you use the next/back buttons on all the tbn's in a folder.
what you don't seem to grasp is what adding additional check means. the directory listings is already slow enough thanks to all the thumbs we have to look for, and adding even more does not make sense. if you insist on doing this, you can do your own build, see CFileItem::GetTBNFile()

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allow .jpg's to be used as thumbnails for videos0