Samba (cifs) mounts do not show all files or folders.
I was wondering if anyone else had seen a problem where XBMC can not see all files or folders on a CIFS mount. I have tried it on two different machines running XBMC and they both have the same problem. If I use the video portion of the MythTV client I can see and access the files and folders fine. I was able to work around the problem by using NFS instead but I was curious if anyone else has seen this problem.

All my Linux machines are running Ubuntu 8.04. One client is running a straight Mythbuntu install (upgraded from 7.10 I believe) the other is running regular Ubuntu 8.04 install (upgraded from 7.10 I believe) with the Mythbuntu addons on top. I compiled a different XBMC SVN versions on one of the machines and it still has the problem. My SVN versions are probably a week or so old.

Anyone have any ideas?
a) update, we'll only support latest SVN or PPA
b) enabling the "show hidden files" option in settings
A) I'll update tonight. But it has happened with multiple SVN versions.
B) Show Hidden Files setting is enabled. The files are not hidden. When using NFS there is not a problem. They are seen without any problem using the CIFS mount in MythTV.

Thanks...
The hidden files thing in setting only show files which the SMB server claims is hidden, On a linux server it will hide files wich are "." prefixed. On a windows server they only hide files which are toggled as hidden in windows world. So if it helped with toggle that setting and the file shouldn't be hidden then it might be something wrong with the code.

Does the files show up in nautilus or any other filemanager in linux?

XBMC Hides printershare and IPC shares. What are you trying to share? the standard directory shares should work?
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
The files show up fine everywhere else. I can see and access all the files in the share using Media Portal under Windows XP, using the MythTV video plugin under Ubuntu 8.04 and using any type of file manager under linux. I have also added the share to the File Explorer in XBMC and I have the same issue. My XBox running XBMC does not have this issue. (Though it is running a fairly old XBMC build.) Now that I am using NFS this issue is minor to me.
Did it help at all when toggling the setting in Settings -> Appearence -> View Option -> "Show hidden files and folders" ?
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:Did it help at all when toggling the setting in Settings -> Appearence -> View Option -> "Show hidden files and folders" ?

When I get home after work I will check it again and see what difference it makes.
I recompiled SVN today and it still has the problem. I now have the same shares mapped twice. Once with NFS and once with CIFS. Whats weird is if I move between the mounts and do some unmounting and remounting the CIFS mount will show all the files and folders.

Seems like a weird problem to me. Does XBMC do any type of cacheing or anything with the directories it see's?
Are you using unionfs to join any of the samba shares at all?
MoonBeast Wrote:Are you using unionfs to join any of the samba shares at all?

No sir.

My mount points are as follows:
Code:
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1              46G  8.6G   35G  20% /
/dev/md0              184G   85G   90G  49% /share/data
/dev/mapper/vg1-lv1   542G  433G   87G  84% /share/media

My Samba share is as follows:
Code:
[share]
        delete readonly = yes
        writeable = yes
        read only = no
        path = /share
        force group = nogroup
        force user = nobody
        valid users = xbox,mythtv
        admin users = xbox,mythtv
        create mode = 777
        veto files = /lost+found/.pictures/.Family/
        directory mode = 777

I mount the share using:
Code:
//fileserver/share /share cifs username=xbox,password=xxxxxxxx 1 2
I'm also experiencing problems with xbmc not showing all files and folders. This is my situation:

xbmc svn 15111, build 27 Aug.
nas with all media.

1. When having the nas mounted with in ubuntu and then mounted as a local directory in xbmc I'm having the problem that xbmc isn't showing all folders. Browsing speed is good though, seems like as good as on the original xbox 1.

2. When having the nas mounted directly in xbmc all files and folders are showing, but the speed in browsing and opening files is really slow compared to the old xbox and to the way I set up the samba in 1.

Is anyone else having speed problems when mounting as I have done in 2, or is that just me?
tell us what files are missing and post a debug log so we can see whats going wrong.
I think it's related to http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4663

Pike: To me it seems like the problem is caused by a symbolic link that I had placed in the directory. If I have the symbolic link in the mounted directory some folders are missing. Which folders that are missing depend on the name I'm giving the symbolic link. I can't see any real pattern in what folders that are missing due to the name on the symbolic link, but i varies on the first letter of the link name. Hope this help tracking this problem a little further.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samba (cifs) mounts do not show all files or folders.0