Announcing XBMC DEV CON 2008 hosted by boxee
I hope we hear something about slingbox being in Xbox Media Center somehow That would seriously make my day. Even the thought of it would be awesome.

SLingbox allows you to hook a box up to your cable line or AV jacks and etc, and then watch your cable tv on your computer anywhere their is web access.
I'm a Java developer so I don't think I can contribute much to a dev convention.

But I can offer some help getting around in Amsterdam.

Taxicabs are expensive so only useful if you're with a group of 3-4 people. Best to use public transport (which is not cheap either but affordable) if you're on a budget.

Like any major city trains, metro, trams and buses are very high-intensity so available at any place at any time.

Since Netherlands is tiny you can also fly to Rotterdam Airport and take a 2 hour (max) bus/trainride from there to Amsterdam. Rotterdam Airport tends to be cheaper to fly to and from.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or if there's some way I can help with the convention.
Just a small clarification. This is not an "open event". We simply wanted to inform everyone of what's going on, and give people a chance to meet up with us at Saturday Evening, I quote (from announcement):

Quote:How to get involved:
* Propose ideas for stuff that you would like Team-XBMC to discuss here in this forum topic-thread
* Meet Team-XBMC for drinks on the evening of June the 14th (details will be posted on the boxee blog)
* Follow boxee progress on the boxee blog: blog.boxee.tv
* Send boxee a Twitter with a comment or question: http://twitter.com/boxee

Blush
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pike Wrote:This is not an "open event". We simply wanted to inform everyone of what's going on, and give people a chance to meet up with us at Saturday Evening
Is this the reason for the miniscule 2 weeks notice? Was this to prevent hordes of people from coming? If that was not the reasoning behind the short notice, it worked anyway. 6 weeks notice is a minimum for vacation time. Not to mention buying a plane ticket only 2 weeks in advance is ultra expensive. For the people who have lots of extra money to spend on tickets and don't have jobs, have fun. I hope next year the event is not so exclusive.
fearphage Wrote:Is this the reason for the miniscule 2 weeks notice? Was this to prevent hordes of people from coming? If that was not the reasoning behind the short notice, it worked anyway. 6 weeks notice is a minimum for vacation time. Not to mention buying a plane ticket only 2 weeks in advance is ultra expensive. For the people who have lots of extra money to spend on tickets and don't have jobs, have fun. I hope next year the event is not so exclusive.

this event is for the XBMC DEVS, and in fact one of the things on the agenda is to discuss when the XBMC USERCON is to happen. inviting users for a drink was a last minute thing, where we thought it may be nice for people close by to come and say hi. no ill intentions - on the contrary!
Wow, sounds awsome!

I hope Boxee will bring the "Full-HD" hardware we are waiting for. The description is kinda vague.

Can we expect hardware? or software?

I can't waite. Amsterdam is 30min drive for me...cool!Big Grin
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
Hmm, so that means users are not really welcome? Sad

Not even for a sneak peak @ boxee? Wink
Users are invited to:

Quote:* Meet Team-XBMC for drinks on the evening of June the 14th (details will be posted on the boxee blog)

The rest of it is for Team XBMC only.

I'm not sure how much clearer things could be Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:Users are invited to:

The rest of it is for Team XBMC only.

I'm not sure how much clearer things could be Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan

Users are such annoying creatures! Wink . Just too enthusiastic I guess.

Drinks are always nice tough! Smile
zeno Wrote:Hmm, so that means users are not really welcome? Sad

Not even for a sneak peak @ boxee? Wink

Boxee will be announced right after the dev-con and you will be able to download it. You can signup already to their alpha at boxee.tv and get notified when it's available.
http://newteevee.com/2008/06/10/scoop-bo...#more-4309

looks interesting Smile
How's the conference going, really looking forward what Team XBMC has got to say so far, boxee blog just have been short rants, but have been really positive.
Hope you guys enjoying your time in the Netherlands though, would've paid a visit last Friday, to bad the busses are on strike.
Big Grin 
The developers conference is now over (although there are a few of us still here in Amsterdam because our flights are not until tomorrow morning). We will try to post a summery about the experince and the things that we discussed later this week. I can tell you that everything went very smoothly (thanks to Gidon from BOXEE) and we have had a lot of fun.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=89...0916311640

Team-XBMC, Team-BOXEE, and bunnie (as the surprise guest speaker)

Big Grin
I did a pic with all the names of everyone (Thanks to pike for letting me know whos who)

as you can see of the photo above is that 10 out of 10 xbmc developers choose to wear blue jeans on an everyday basis.

who had the longest flight? Jmarshall?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Announcing XBMC DEV CON 2008 hosted by boxee1