RPi LibreElec HDMI as well as analog VIDEO mirroring
Video 
Hi, I am running Kodi 17.6(LibreElec) on Raspberry Pi 2 B. HDMI port is connected to AV receiver. Receiver's output goes to TV. This setup is working fine. I have small collection of MP3s on my NAS, which I listen to every now and then. While listening to music my TV is mainly used for navigation, which I think is an overhead and rather feels distracting. I want to add a secondary 7 inch LCD screen to analog video port of RPi while still getting the digital audio (and preferably video) through HDMI to AV receiver. However, when I connect HDMI cable i don't get the display on small 7inch screen. Is it possible to get display on both screens? or even display on small screen and digital audio on HDMI port? My inspiration behind all this is Sony HAP S1 Hi-Res audio player featured by Techmoan on YouTube, selling for more than £500. I think it brings back the nostalgic, vintage feeling of music from noughties. I have looked into HiFiBerry and other DAC solutions based on Volumio and moOde but they lack video. I hope that other members will find this project interesting and can share their ideas as well.
What about using a smartphone/tablet based remote control for Kodi, then you can turn off your TV? Kore for iOS, Yatse for Android.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hi, thanks for answering, I use Sybu Kodi on my iPhone as remote but that experience is not very indulging and doesn't bring back 'tactile' feeling. My idea is to be able to have physical switches along with lcd screen for controls. I plan to fit the 7 inch screen in a retro cessette deck enclosure and use RPi's GPIOs with momentary swithches for basic operations e.g Play, Pause, Stop, Up, Down, Left , Right, Select etc. I know it sounds very ambitious but I have already have the setup on my breadboard and push buttons are working well using DarrenHill's pugin. The detail can be found here. Only thing still not clear is how to get video on small screen when playing playing music via HDMI.
HDMI and analogue displays cannot be driven simultaneously of the Pi (some of the hardware is shared).
HDMI audio is transmitted in the blanking periods of the video signal, so neither HDMI audio or video is possible when analogue output is used.

Other options to consider are using another interface for audio (e.g. an I2S HAT for toslink/spdif audio), or a DSI or DPI display which can coexist with hdmi audio.
Alternatively an HDMI splitter, with one output feeding a cheap HDMI->Composite converter might be a solution - though splitting HDMI isn't always straighforward.
(2018-10-26, 13:02)popcornmix Wrote: Other options to consider are using another interface for audio (e.g. an I2S HAT for toslink/spdif audio), or a DSI or DPI display which can coexist with hdmi audio.

It would be grand if there was a way of using a DPI or DSI screen (like the official Pi touch screen, or the Pimoroni Hyperpixel) - either as a secondary status display or with an option of switching within Kodi between HDMI and DSI/DPI output?
(2018-10-29, 11:08)noggin Wrote: It would be grand if there was a way of using a DPI or DSI screen (like the official Pi touch screen, or the Pimoroni Hyperpixel) - either as a secondary status display or with an option of switching within Kodi between HDMI and DSI/DPI output? 

Kodi should run on DSI or DPI (or HDMI) display if it is configured as primary display (no way of switch while running though).
A kodi add-on could be written that uses dispmanx calls to display information on the secondary display.
(2018-10-30, 14:17)popcornmix Wrote:
(2018-10-29, 11:08)noggin Wrote: It would be grand if there was a way of using a DPI or DSI screen (like the official Pi touch screen, or the Pimoroni Hyperpixel) - either as a secondary status display or with an option of switching within Kodi between HDMI and DSI/DPI output? 

Kodi should run on DSI or DPI (or HDMI) display if it is configured as primary display (no way of switch while running though).
A kodi add-on could be written that uses dispmanx calls to display information on the secondary display. 
 Does this need the new dual-fb kernel that is being developed or does this work with the normal kernel that allows both outputs to be used (HDMI + DPI or HDMI + DSI) but with many more caveats?
(2018-11-02, 11:03)noggin Wrote: Kodi should run on DSI or DPI (or HDMI) display if it is configured as primary display (no way of switch while running though).
 Does this need the new dual-fb kernel that is being developed or does this work with the normal kernel that allows both outputs to be used (HDMI + DPI or HDMI + DSI) but with many more caveats? [/quote]

The scenario I described has been supported by the firmware for years. One display is primary and normal apps should appear on it.
The other display is secondary and can only be driven by code that specifies display number through firmware APIs (e.g. dispmanx or mmal).

The dual-fb kernel support will allow the secondary display to be accessed with more standard APIs (as /dev/fb1).

In either case to have kodi usefully display information on both displays will need software to be written
(either having kodi running as normal on primary display and an addon driving secondary display, or modifying kodi to separate video and GUI to different displays in different situations).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPi LibreElec HDMI as well as analog VIDEO mirroring0