Stream from SMB shares to Xbox 360 with XBMC as UPnP server?
Question 
Hi, got UPNP working fine streaming from the xbox to the 360 but only when the files are stored locally on the xbox itself.

I have set up a NAS drive and am able to stream from it fine to all boxes running XBMC in the house.

The problem I am having is, although the files stored on the NAS show up under the XBMC UPNP server on the 360, they will not stream, it comes up with a Microsoft error message.

It works fine using either TVersity or Twonky via the PC but the PC and 360 are in the same room and the noise is annoying, not to mention the wasted electricy.

Any ideas on how to stream to the 360 via a NAS drive passing through XBMC?

Many Thanks.
I was having the same problem...I have two DNS 323 Dlink NAS boxes. What I did was install Twonky onto my server and had it stream from there. It works really well. I have it streaming to my 360 and PS3. Not sure if Twonky supports all NAS boxes, but it's worth looking into.
i think that XBMC for Xbox can only share local items over UPnP. (though, i may be wrong.)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CalG Wrote:Hi, got UPNP working fine streaming from the xbox to the 360 but only when the files are stored locally on the xbox itself.

I have set up a NAS drive and am able to stream from it fine to all boxes running XBMC in the house.

The problem I am having is, although the files stored on the NAS show up under the XBMC UPNP server on the 360, they will not stream, it comes up with a Microsoft error message.

It works fine using either TVersity or Twonky via the PC but the PC and 360 are in the same room and the noise is annoying, not to mention the wasted electricy.

Any ideas on how to stream to the 360 via a NAS drive passing through XBMC?

Many Thanks.

I've been looking on how to stream from XBMC on Xbox to Xbox 360 using UPnP and I can't find how to do it. Can you point me in the right direction? I've turned on UPnP server, added a share and the 360 says no computers detected. Thanks in advance.
What Version of XBMC are you using. Only a month ago or so the Upnp Playback was optimized for the 360
XBMC UPnP MediaServer only shares the library, so you must scan the files into the database.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
pt-1 Wrote:What Version of XBMC are you using. Only a month ago or so the Upnp Playback was optimized for the 360

I think I have the latest version but I will check.

Gamester17 Wrote:XBMC UPnP MediaServer only shares the library, so you must scan the files into the database.

Ah, that must be my problem. Thank you both for your replies. You've been very helpful.
Thumbs Up 
Ok it worked, but I still have some issues. Before today I had some movies and TV shows in my library, but no music. Today I ran the T3CH update script and downloaded the 06-01-2008 build, then I added some music to the library. I tried it and my movies and music show in the 360. So I think the problem was me not having the correct version of XBMC. However the TV shows are not showing. Is there something else I need to set? Some sort of root folder to include all folders inside Videos and not just Videos/Movies?

Thanks again.
You probably have to add your tv shows to the library as well.

hope that works
procom32 Wrote:You probably have to add your tv shows to the library as well.

hope that works

I did. They show in library mode in XBMC. Thanks for your reply.
I can confirm, I can only stream music from XBMC to the 360 if the music is on the xbox 1, not through a SMB share. This is a major bummer. I am using a release from GasGiver 6-3-2008.
Can someone please help!!!
I have the latest version of XBMC installed on a Vista x64 PC and streaming to the X360 is working excellently. However, when you go into the videos on the X360 it shows all the videos in the library - even when on the PC there are multiple folder sources selected from difference physical locations, ie. movies, movies not watched, sport, TV series, etc

Is there any way to allow you to browse through the individual movie source folders on the X360?

Thx
Cool
I assume you're using UPNP to serve the media to the X360? The UPNP server only shares what's in the library.
kraqh3d Wrote:The UPNP server only shares what's in the library.
Also, XBMC's UPnP server can currently not share files located on a SMB/Samba share.
i think that would work if using the Win32 version and you use drive letter mappings and not Xbmc's smb:// protocol. as far as Xbmc is concerned, the media would be considered local.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stream from SMB shares to Xbox 360 with XBMC as UPnP server?0