• 3(current)
[GSoC] GPU hardware assisted H.264 decoding via OpenGL GLSL shaders - developers only
Hy all,

Rudd can you give us a sign, are you still in this project??
I can tell you that Rudd is very busy with other work (over committed himself) but is still very much interested in this project. Rudd has also joined xbmc permanently, so don't expect this project to die.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
malloc Wrote:Rudd has also joined xbmc permanently, so don't expect this project to die.

Cool, that's nice to hear. Smile

Rudd, good luck with all the stuff you're doing. Wink
Hello,

are there any news on this project?
I think it is one of the most important features which could be integrated ino XBMC (apart from starting making coffee 10 min before the end of a film).
There is no reason to have a oversized CPU just for decoding 1080p movies.

Please give us some news.
BUMP! Nod
Let the poor man breath. It'll be released when it's done and not a moment sooner. And there will be an announcement so don't worry.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
hal2100 Wrote:apart from starting making coffee 10 min before the end of a film

+1

is it on trac yet?Big Grin
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
hal2100 Wrote:There is no reason to have a oversized CPU just for decoding 1080p movies.
Has anyone profiled the current decoder? My Athlon X2 3800+ can decode 1080p24 H.264 with CABAC under XBMC using only half of a single core.** Sure doing it on the GPU would be fun and all but requiring what currently equates to a single core Athlon 1900+ doesn't seem like an oversized requirement for that file.

**Disclaimer: Decode only. Uncompressed YUV frames are discarded before being sent to the renderer.

Sure my Athlon X2 3800+ can't actually play the file without dropping frames like crazy and getting out of sync, but there is a lot of room for performance gain in between decode and present currently.
I think a lot of people are running windows where the ffmpeg won't use multiple cores so theres a prevailing impression performance isn't up to much even though on linux or mac it's pretty much as fast as anything you'd care to compare with.
CapnBry Wrote:Has anyone profiled the current decoder? My Athlon X2 3800+ can decode 1080p24 H.264 with CABAC under XBMC using only half of a single core.** Sure doing it on the GPU would be fun and all but requiring what currently equates to a single core Athlon 1900+ doesn't seem like an oversized requirement for that file.

**Disclaimer: Decode only. Uncompressed YUV frames are discarded before being sent to the renderer.

Sure my Athlon X2 3800+ can't actually play the file without dropping frames like crazy and getting out of sync, but there is a lot of room for performance gain in between decode and present currently.

My X2 4800+ has problems even with some 720p, although this is uncommon. I only have one 1080p rip that it doesnt drop a massive amount of frames on.

How did you test decoding only? mplayer plus flags or did you do it in XBMC?
@malloc:
There is a a small misunderstanding here. Rudd announced his project and even started a blog. That I request some update (not results!) is only to show interest in the development of this feature. At first we had a lot of information, and now nothing. Someone who is also interested in using the GPU for H.264 decoding would have to write a Mail to Rudd, which takes the same amount of time to answers.

Just to get this clear, I do not want to rush Rudd to release something very unstable, just to give some feedback on the development and problems he is facing, or some technical background information.
malloc Wrote:I can tell you that Rudd is very busy with other work (over committed himself) but is still very much interested in this project. Rudd has also joined xbmc permanently, so don't expect this project to die.
I'm just saying, I thought it was clear that he was busy with other stuff at the moment. If there was progress worth mentioning I'm sure he'd mention it.
@CapnBry and sandos, it's great that you guys are enthusiastic but please refrain from hijacking this thread with an off-topic discussion, thanks.
Sorry.. I see from the previous posts that this was not such a smart comment.. Removed..
maybe usefull ? http://developer.download.nvidia.com/pre...DA_web.pdf
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[GSoC] GPU hardware assisted H.264 decoding via OpenGL GLSL shaders - developers only3