• 6(current)
Media Companion - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows
billyad2000 Wrote:Version 1.100 is now available

Program Form size has been slightly adjusted so it would display comfortably at 1024x768 resolution - this is as low as I will take it.

My eyes thank you!! NodBig Grin

And I thank you for such a great program. It has greatly enhanced the XBMC experience in my house. I have multiple Xboxes and now it is much easier to keep them in sync.

buzz
flipped cracker Wrote:got this error doing a scan:
CUT
it pops up after it finds the imdb id for the first new movie in the folders.

This is an error to do with connectivity of the IMDB website and unreleated to the program, although I will add a handle for the exception.
The program depends on IMDB working ok. Just try it again at a later time.
Fantastic tool billyad2000 - really has the potential to help organize movie folders - thanks for sharing.
Question - spiff recently added local trailer support for XBMC scraper (putting -trailer at the end of the file before media extension), do you think that you will be adding this into your Media Companion tool?
Tried version 1.1 from your signature and it sets up two nfo files in the movie folder rather than one nfo file linking to local trailer
bionic1234 Wrote:Fantastic tool billyad2000 - spiff recently added local trailer support for XBMC scraper (putting -trailer at the end of the file before media extension), do you think that you will be adding this into your Media Companion tool?

That would be a KILLER feature. I've been trying to find a way to automatically download all the trailers for my movies. There aren't enough trailers on imdb. If this app could download the trailers from Apple that would be awesome.
This is one nice tool. The only thing I would like to see so far is a way to tell what size the image I am downloading is, and the ability to download more than one, so I can switch thumbnails easily later if I wanted to.
found another spelling error. when hovering over the scan folders button, it has an "ans" instead of "and".

other features i'd like to see:

1) it'd be nice to be able to see what folders have already been added. i know i can open the xml file, but something in the program would be nice.

2) it'd also be nice if it could search for duplicates. i have my movies in 3 different folders (i really need to get a bigger hard drive) and there is potential to duplicate movies. i try to go through them, but i have 535 currently, and it's not easy spotting dupes.
flipped cracker Wrote:found another spelling error. when hovering over the scan folders button, it has an "ans" instead of "and".

1) it'd be nice to be able to see what folders have already been added. i know i can open the xml file, but something in the program would be nice.

2) it'd also be nice if it could search for duplicates. i have my movies in 3 different folders (i really need to get a bigger hard drive) and there is potential to duplicate movies. i try to go through them, but i have 535 currently, and it's not easy spotting dupes.
I also think these would be good features to have.
To address some of posted suggestions.
flipped cracker Wrote:found another spelling error. when hovering over the scan folders button, it has an "ans" instead of "and".

The typo will be fixed in the next release

1, I agree that this feature is neccessary and it will be added soon, along with the ability to remove folders.

2, A duplicate search would not be quite so easy. Unless the files names were identical. I suppose it would be possible to check other file attributes such as file size and date for possible matches.
I do sympathize with you, I have 1300 movies spread over a dozen folders on 6 hard disks and i found using this prog that I had about 20 duplicate movies. This program does make it easy to see what movies I do have so I should not have a problem with getting the same movie anymore.

kricker Wrote:This is one nice tool. The only thing I would like to see so far is a way to tell what size the image I am downloading is, and the ability to download more than one, so I can switch thumbnails easily later if I wanted to.
I can't see any problem adding nfo as to the image resolution and size(KB), but i'm not sure how I would implement multiple image support. Media folders could end up getting very cluttered.
At the moment MovieposterDB thumbs can be scraped very quckly. For example the movie "300" returns 132 images in about 3 seconds on my connection (10Mb)

bionic1234 Wrote:Fantastic tool billyad2000 - really has the potential to help organize movie folders - thanks for sharing.
Question - spiff recently added local trailer support for XBMC scraper (putting -trailer at the end of the file before media extension), do you think that you will be adding this into your Media Companion tool?
Tried version 1.1 from your signature and it sets up two nfo files in the movie folder rather than one nfo file linking to local trailer

I have considered adding partial trailer support in that existing trailers could be played from within the app. Im not sure about the automatic download for trailers for the simple reason of scraper accuracy. Downloading 100s of large files with only some being correct seems like a waste of bandwidth to me.
Could you please expand on your other problem please. I've just tested the program and with a file named "movie.trailer.avi" it is ignored by the program. No nfo file was created.

Another thing that I would like some user input on
I am thinking of creating an expanded actor details that would work as follows. A folder would be selected by the user. As Movies are added to the DB then if the actor file doesn't already exist then an nfo file would be created by the program "actor name.nfo" as well as "actor name.tbn". These would all be stored within the same folder.
This would allow the nfo file to the actor biography that could be scraped from IMDB. The actor tbn could also be stored locally as opposed to the current system which stores the thumb url (if available from IMDB) and downloads it realtime, each time the movie/actor is selected. It would also allow tbn files to be created for actors on IMDB with no thumbnail.

Let me know.
billyad2000 Wrote:Could you please expand on your other problem please. I've just tested the program and with a file named "movie.trailer.avi" it is ignored by the program. No nfo file was created.

Thanks billyad2000 - did some more testing after your replay
Existing Movie folder structure: Folder Name = IMDB Movie Name
Movie.avi
Movie.tbn
Movie-trailer.mov

Run XBMC Movie Companion 1.100 - scan for new movies
Movie.nfo created
Movie-trailer.nfo created
Movie-trailer.tbn created

NerdI also tried renaming trailer to "movie.trailer.avi" but the result was the same.
*During scan - each time log shows 2 files found without nfo files and thus 2 nfo files are created.

Regarding my earlier request:
1) *this may already work, but with my problem above I cannot confirm* Your XBMC-DB tool created nfo files with a <trailer></trailer> tag - so I am wondering if the XBMC Media Companion uses local trailers to fill the tag when creating the nfo file?
2) BTW - I really like your idea about storing local actor nfo and thumbs, kindof the same reason why I think scraping trailers would be a good idea (save on bandwidth in the long run). Honestly don't have time to sort through each and every trailer that I download, but when it comes time to sit back and watch a movie it is sure handy to be able to watch a couple of different movie trailers to get you in the mood to watch one of those movies.

How I presently download trailers:
1) Open up my laptop in front of the TV
2) Run Apple Movie Trailer plugin in XBMC
3) Set AMT to Download files
4) Go through my movie folder alphabetically comparing to AMT trailer list
5) Individually select movies and exit out of trailer before it plays (after all I don't want to get excited about watching a movie right now)
*Yes a long process all to achieve a relaxing movie experience later in the dayConfused

Thanks again for the tool
about the dupes, you could do a search by title in the nfo files. if all the movies get scraped properly, the should come up with the same exact title.

about the actor stuff, i don't really use any of that stuff, so i personally don't have a need for it.

about trailers... you could have a link that goes to the actual trailer, and then have buttons that give you the option to either search for a different title, or to download it. then you really only have to have the program return a url for all the trailers, and you wouldn't be downloading incorrect trailers. you could also have a button for downloading all trailers (which one could hit once they've gone through and made sure all the trailer urls were correct).
another issue, the cropping is press and hold, but you can't just click it once. is there a way you can make it both?

actually, after testing a bit, it does work that way, sometimes.

and about thumbs... it'd be nice you could tell the program which number thumb to go to... say there's 130, and you through all of them, but the best one was number 10 or so.. you have to go all the way back through them to get to the one you want.
flipped cracker Wrote:another issue, the cropping is press and hold, but you can't just click it once. is there a way you can make it both?

actually, after testing a bit, it does work that way, sometimes.

and about thumbs... it'd be nice you could tell the program which number thumb to go to... say there's 130, and you through all of them, but the best one was number 10 or so.. you have to go all the way back through them to get to the one you want.
Or maybe have a setting to ignore any thumb under a certain dimension or file size. I do not care about small thumbnails I only want the large ones so they are future proof.

As for multiples, I am not sure how you can handle them except maybe call them nameofmovie_#.tbn and just number up as new thumbs are downloaded. It is up to the user to hit the download button, so they should know if they are cluttering up their folders.

With multiple thumbs it could then be possible for someone to add code that allows XBMC to rotate thru the poster in a view. MovieNight for Meedio does that and it is very slick.
It would be so cool if this is also available for Mac OSX.
For now I'm going to try getting it to run within VMWare when I get home.
It sure looks very promissing!!
Version 1.113 has now been uploaded - see my sig for link

Main Changes since last release:-

Thumbnail browsing has been changed in the edit screen. - A zoom feature has been added aswell as image details, i.e x,y, filesize. The ability to directly to any thumb has also been added. Movie Browsing still works with zoom enabled.
Thumbnail cropping changed slightly to allow single click to work properly.

IMDB scraper hit accuracy should be improved. Exact matches are now used before popular matches.

Play movie should also handle stacked movies now, a playlist is created and played via default player.

I think i may have fixed problem with movie trailer been scanned - let me know.

A search for duplicate movies has been added - it uses the Title field within the nfo file. Let me know how it works.
Nice! Thank you!
I used the tool at the 1.0 stage and it wrote empty nfo files if no movie info was found. This was kind of anoying because it caused me being unable to scrape imdb info for these movies with the xbox.
Now the program finds more matches it isn't such a big deal anymore to manually lookup the ones it doesn't. I'm not sure if it still saves empty nfo files. I think it shouldn't.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Companion - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows7