• 1(current)
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread

Download
@ Google Code
very nice skin, very clean.

I like the settings screen.

you didn't take advantage of the infolabel PluginName.

Too many views in library Smile

shutdown menu needs highlights on the buttons, home page could use something when changing categories. and no programs or scripts or filemanager that i can find.

overall very nice.

edit: found them, press down on the home categories. Smile missed that. one other thing i wish skinners would account for. plugins can fill all the media infolabels. so a media info view in files view isn't a bad thing.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Very nice looking! Please let us know if you plan on open sourcing it and if you would like to join the official XBMC Skinning Project (a sub-project of XBMC for skinners and their open source skins).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Really nice! I love the cleanness, smooth and fast animations and the easy access to library modes (smart move).

I'm using the dutch language with XBMC and the titles in the homescreen don't fit into the selection boxes and are not showing completely. This is something that will always be hard to do, make it look good/correct in any language. Using simple and clear icons would solve this. And you'd have a lot more space in the top bar to place shortcuts!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
YEAH nice to a see a new sexy skin for 4:3 ;D;D
Thanks for the comments guys Smile

Nuka1195 Wrote:you didn't take advantage of the infolabel PluginName.
Not yet, but definitely will in the new version Smile

Quote:Too many views in library Smile
Agreed Smile
And yes the shutdown menu has hardly had any work.

Quote:plugins can fill all the media infolabels. so a media info view in files view isn't a bad thing.
Good point

Gamester17 Wrote:Very nice looking! Please let us know if you plan on open sourcing it and if you would like to join the official XBMC Skinning Project (a sub-project of XBMC for skinners and their open source skins).
Yes, I plan on open sourcing it and I would like to join the skinning project. I would like to wait till at least the next version before putting it in the svn though so I can clean up my messy coding a bit and reach a state where I feel the foundations are solid and won't change too much anymore Smile

Bram77 Wrote:Really nice! I love the cleanness, smooth and fast animations and the easy access to library modes (smart move).

Thanks, one of my goals is definitely a clean look so that's good to hear Smile

Quote:I'm using the dutch language with XBMC and the titles in the homescreen don't fit into the selection boxes and are not showing completely. This is something that will always be hard to do, make it look good/correct in any language. Using simple and clear icons would solve this. And you'd have a lot more space in the top bar to place shortcuts!
Yup, that's one of the reasons for switching to a HD only version, I feel I just have to cramp everything into too small places, or make everything big, which effects the cleanness imo.

I'll be updating this thread from time to time with some progress reports
Thumbs Up 
Jeroen Wrote:
Gamester17 Wrote:Very nice looking! Please let us know if you plan on open sourcing it and if you would like to join the official XBMC Skinning Project (a sub-project of XBMC for skinners and their open source skins).
Yes, I plan on open sourcing it and I would like to join the skinning project. I would like to wait till at least the next version before putting it in the svn though so I can clean up my messy coding a bit and reach a state where I feel the foundations are solid and won't change too much anymore Smile
Cool! As long agree to not violate any copyrights and ask before you modify anyone else's skin in the SVN (or wait until you have been asked) then register an account on SourceForge.net if you do not already have one then PM me the username and I will add you to the project with full write access to the SVN and the trackers (for bugs, patches and requests).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
this almost passed me by...it's a great looking skin mate. it's very clean and for us 16x9 and 4x3 users it's very easy to see all the elements. You can tell that thought has gone into this.

There are a couple of things that I've noticed which would be good for you to know...

First, as you know shutdown needs some work, but I'm sure it's on your to-do list. Second is that the scrollbar on all views is sitting in the centre of the centre and sits behind all the text. I assume that it should be over on the right hand side, and I assume it should be on the right?

Also, for some reason the images onto your screenies seem to be darker than on my screen.

oh, and also the fanart screen does not resize the images...they are too big for the screen.

I think thats it for now...I'm using it, I'm going to carry on using it...great work!
I was thinking of doing a post-Aeon one-size-fits-all skin, but it looks like you've hit the nail on the head with this one. In a word, classy.
djh_ get Aeon sorted for us 16x9ers first mate...that's all I'll say for now Wink
It already is, isn't it? I thought the new resizing stuff was the magic bullet in that respect. Anyway, thread derailment complete.
MikeBeecham Wrote:it's very clean and for us 16x9 and 4x3 users it's very easy to see all the elements. You can tell that thought has gone into this.

Thanks a lot, it's good to see people specifically commenting on things that were key goals for this skin. Makes me feel bad about abandoning the SD version though Sad I'm pleasantly suprised that the skin is usable on 4:3, I didn't take it into account at all Smile

Quote:Second is that the scrollbar on all views is sitting in the centre of the centre and sits behind all the text. I assume that it should be over on the right hand side, and I assume it should be on the right?

Yes, I haven't worked on the scrollbars at all, so practically all of them are in the wrong place. I am still in doubt whether to include a scroll bar option in the next version at all. I personally never use them, I find them cluttering. I see no real use browsing by scrollbar. The only benefit I see in them is to provide an indication of how far down a list you are. Something else I have been thinking about is to hide them or obscure them untill they are focused.

I'd like to hear more people's thought on scrollbars. Do you use them a lot? Are they essential to you? So in any skin?

Quote:Also, for some reason the images onto your screenies seem to be darker than on my screen.

I noticed that too. It comes out quite a bit lighter on my CRT TV. Since the TV is reasonably old I find it hard to imagine how it would look on most TV's. The screenies are made on a win32 build, and other than downsizing them and adding the reflections they have had no editing. Although I may have been using a slightly lighter diffuse in the version I released, I'm not sure.

Quote:oh, and also the fanart screen does not resize the images...they are too big for the screen.

Ah ok. I had alreay used the version I posted to make some changes for the HD version and forgot to adjust that back. I updated the download in the first post.

And here is a quick fix for that, replace the contents of includes.xml with this:
http://pastebin.com/f18c96f34

Thanks for the heads up Smile

djh_ Wrote:I was thinking of doing a post-Aeon one-size-fits-all skin, but it looks like you've hit the nail on the head with this one. In a word, classy.
Thanks Smile
The more I use the skin, the more I like. It even has a high WAF! Which is very important.
It's fantastic skin to use as a base for modifications also! I'm getting inspired by the cleanness Smile I'm a loyal PMIII user. I've tried several different skins, but even the nicest looking just don't cut it (Aeon for example).
I really hope you'll keep de PAL version and not only HD.

One suggestion...
I love the easy access to libraries and menus. Almost everything is accessible with the arrow keys and the OK button. Except for the menu you enter with the 'title' button on the XBOX remote when a file/directory or library item is selected. The right arrow has no use yet and since the left button provides access to the 'info' menu it seem logical the 'title' menu can be accessed with the right button.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Looks very nice...looking forward to trying it out when I get home! Glad to see a slick looking skin for SD TV's. I've been running a modified version of Jezz's Vision - Basic, but wanting a cleaner skin that supports 4:3.
Bram77 Wrote:It even has a high WAF! Which is very important.
HuhWAF? Big Grin

Quote:I really hope you'll keep de PAL version and not only HD.
We'll see. At the moment I want to focus (heh) purely on the HD version. Maybe after that I'll do some updates to this one, though it will probably mainly be maintenance releases to iron bugs out and port new xbmc features.

Quote:One suggestion...
I love the easy access to libraries and menus. Almost everything is accessible with the arrow keys and the OK button. Except for the menu you enter with the 'title' button on the XBOX remote when a file/directory or library item is selected. The right arrow has no use yet and since the left button provides access to the 'info' menu it seem logical the 'title' menu can be accessed with the right button.

I'll have to think about it. It seems a bit counter-intuitive to press right to open a menu on the left. Maybe a user definable setting would do the tricj. Also, I'll have to make a decision about what I'll be doing about the scrollbars first. Because if they will be staying the right button would be needed for that.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread3