• 2(current)
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread
Jeroen Wrote:HuhWAF? Big Grin

Wife acceptance factor. Smile It's a common term for HTPC and home theater buffs.
I love this skin this may well be my new default, the navigation using the drop down menus is very cool and I'm loving the feel of this skin I am hoping it can be maintained for us sd users.

The font change made it crash for me and when i restarted there were no fonts making navigation impossible; so I had to delete the skin I think the last skin font selected was "funky" or some such.

I think i'll stick with the default fount next timeBig Grin thanks for creating this the hard work is much appreciated.
szsori Wrote:Wife acceptance factor. Smile It's a common term for HTPC and home theater buffs.
Hehe ah ok. I guess I have to update my slang dictionary Smile

marlboroman1 Wrote:The font change made it crash for me and when i restarted there were no fonts making navigation impossible; so I had to delete the skin I think the last skin font selected was "funky" or some such.

I think i'll stick with the default fount next timeBig Grin thanks for creating this the hard work is much appreciated.

Yeah, Mike already notified me about his crashing XBOX when changing fonts Laugh
Focus has just one fontset. Basically there's leftovers of the default PM3 fontsets in the fonts file, it's a mess. And because those fonts are not present in the Focus package XBMC seemingly keeps searching for it ultimately going bonkers Smile
I'll update the package tomorrow to take care of it.
And thank you.
Quote:I'll have to think about it. It seems a bit counter-intuitive to press right to open a menu on the left. Maybe a user definable setting would do the tricj. Also, I'll have to make a decision about what I'll be doing about the scrollbars first. Because if they will be staying the right button would be needed for that.

My aim is opening the menu at the right, like you'd expect when pressing "right" Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Also.... it might be cleaner to open the menu in an overlay, without moving the file or library list (semi transparent ?), eventhough the current animation is quite unique, as far as I know and I love new perceptions Smile.

Ik gooi maar wat intuitive ideen in de groep Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Bram77 Wrote:My aim is opening the menu at the right, like you'd expect when pressing "right" Smile

I don't think that would work out well. Opening it on the right would either mean:
- It would overlap other elements, which I don't want. And I can't make it open to the right of the filelist and let everything which is normally to the right of the filelist move aside. That is because there's also the coverflow and coverslide viewtypes which are horizontally orientated. I would then have to take a different approach for those specific viewtypes which would make it inconsistent plus I would have to create seperate animations, includes, there's just too many variables.
- Opening it to the right of everything (so opening it on the right side of the screen). Then I feel the menu would lose it's correlation to the filelist. Plus, in most cases it would move a big portion of the filelist off screen.

The way it is now both menus can be expected in the same spot. I have another method in mind though, going to try if that works out ok.

Quote:Also.... it might be cleaner to open the menu in an overlay, without moving the file or library list (semi transparent ?), eventhough the current animation is quite unique, as far as I know and I love new perceptions .
I like the fact that the menu doesn't overlap anything, which I think is cleaner. I tried semi-transparent before on the dialog windows and I just never felt fully content with it. I wish the skinning engine supported blurring, then stuff like that could look much better.

I'm really not rejecting suggestions beforehand, I do appreciate the feedback Smile

cheers
great looking start of a skin Jeroen, especially like the side menu and 'tons' of views
I love the layout, easy access to Movie, TV and just browse the files for videos. High WAF!
PM3 usually get mixed up abit between Library and non library which this doesn't seem to have the same problems with.
I love that pressing "videos" bring you to sources instead of last used!

I'd like some conditional size so the overlay from the scan isn't over the library (scan TV shows and watch Movie library and you'll see what I mean)
Also the fanart blend doesn't seem to work for me?

Overall, really beautiful skin with a lot of though gone into the layout. Might be a PM3 breaker for me actually.
Keep up the good work.

P.S Considered open sourcing it and putt it on the skin svn? would keep this lovely skin alive for a long time.

/Topfs2
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks Smile

Topfs2 Wrote:I'd like some conditional size so the overlay from the scan isn't over the library (scan TV shows and watch Movie library and you'll see what I mean)

Yes, I know, I don't think I have done any work on that at all untill yesterday.

Quote:Also the fanart blend doesn't seem to work for me?
Hm, that sounds familiar. I did a little fanart mod on xTV some time ago and someone reported the same problem. It worked for me though. And I was using basically the same code on that one. I'm going to completely rewrite the images overlapping bit and try to make it more efficient.

Quote:P.S Considered open sourcing it and putt it on the skin svn? would keep this lovely skin alive for a long time.
Yup, at the moment I am rebuilding the skin based of this one, the next release will be 720p only, and when the worst bugs are solved it will be put on the SVN. After that I'll maybe release a revised SD version which would be released seperately.
This is _the_ perfect skin! I just love it. Even though it still hasnt got OSD (or it doesnt work?). Let me just give you a quick rating -

Animation: 11/10
Style: 11/10
Views: 15/10
WAF: 8/10

Here are a few bits that I am sure you are already working on but let me just put them out there -

* OSD doesnt work or is missing
* Volume control is too much "in your face" and takes to much space
* Library update notification overlaps the time-and-date and weather information in the homescreen and just about anything that is at the bottom in any other screen
* Could it be possible to be able to choose the home menu position (top/bottom)?
* Maybe add the option of icons in the home screen?
* A small preview of what is played at the moment would be nice when hitting the X button on the controller

Thats about it. Thank you for making this beauty and please dont abandon it. Rolleyes
xb00t Wrote:Even though it still hasnt got OSD (or it doesnt work?).
I did make an OSD, but I have ran into it sometimes being displayed at the edge or completely outside the screen boundaries. I believe this only happened to me while launching from file mode. Did you launch while in filemode or in library mode?
I'll have to look into that. The OSD will be redesigned completely though.

Quote:* Volume control is too much "in your face" and takes to much space
* Library update notification overlaps the time-and-date and weather information in the homescreen and just about anything that is at the bottom in any other screen
These like the OSD will be completely redone. I'm trying to take a different approach in order to make the best out of every inch of the screen while not looking cluttered. I don't know if it will work out good enough, because I'll have to deal with various scenarios of elements being on screen at the same time. This approach will only be doable on an HD version though. I know this sounds vague Wink

Quote:* Could it be possible to be able to choose the home menu position (top/bottom)?
This would take a lot of work. Moving the menubar to the bottom is a 2 minute job but I would also have to move the submenus. Actually I would have to create new seperate ones, because the focuspoints and animations would also need duplicates. Plus I think it would look out of place since the bar in other screens would still be on top. So I don't think I'll be doing that sorry.

Quote:* Maybe add the option of icons in the home screen?
Eventually I would like to create an alternate icon based layout. But I want it to have the same features as the current one without looking cluttering. So, I'll have to think of something.
I was toying with the idea of having the 5 home categories it has as icons now, and being able to scroll up and down in each category, changing the icon. (think of a slot machine like thingy). But ultimately I personally think the menus will always be more practical, as you can see which items are coming up. But we'll see. Long term plans though.

Quote:* A small preview of what is played at the moment would be nice when hitting the X button on the controller
What do you mean exactly? Like a media overlay in every screen? Or the full screen window with visualisations like in PM3 for instance? Because that should be there already. No visualisation though I think and hardly any real design work done on it.

Quote:Thats about it. Thank you for making this beauty and please dont abandon it. Rolleyes
Thanks Smile
Quote:What do you mean exactly? Like a media overlay in every screen? Or the full screen window with visualisations like in PM3 for instance? Because that should be there already. No visualisation though I think and hardly any real design work done on it.

Yes just like the PM3 where you get a small screen under the menu (view, sort, library, etc.) with the video still playing. But its not there or maybe I have managed to switch it off somehow? Eek
No edit buttonHuh

Quote:I did make an OSD, but I have ran into it sometimes being displayed at the edge or completely outside the screen boundaries. I believe this only happened to me while launching from file mode. Did you launch while in filemode or in library mode?
Filemode or Library mode both dont show the OSD at all. I am guessing its not even off-screen because the arrow keys work just as they would when the OSD is off. So maybe its not starting up at all? And by OSD I mean the controls that show up when you pres the START button on the controller. Smile
Jeroen Wrote:Yes, I haven't worked on the scrollbars at all, so practically all of them are in the wrong place. I am still in doubt whether to include a scroll bar option in the next version at all. I personally never use them, I find them cluttering. I see no real use browsing by scrollbar. The only benefit I see in them is to provide an indication of how far down a list you are. Something else I have been thinking about is to hide them or obscure them untill they are focused.

I'd like to hear more people's thought on scrollbars. Do you use them a lot? Are they essential to you? So in any skin?

Btw this is one of the things I miss with the skin, I use the scrollbar alot when browsing music, it's a pain to scroll with a IR controll without em.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
xb00t Wrote:No edit buttonHuh

Filemode or Library mode both dont show the OSD at all. I am guessing its not even off-screen because the arrow keys work just as they would when the OSD is off. So maybe its not starting up at all? And by OSD I mean the controls that show up when you pres the START button on the controller. Smile

Could you drop the xml in this zip into the PAL directory of Focus and tell me if it works for you?

http://www.box.net/shared/e1itzcs0s0
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread3