Overscan Compensation
Hello,

i think as many other, i also suffer from some overscan over HDMI/DVI connection from my HTPC to my LCD.

Now it's really great that XBMC has its own Overscan Correction Option... but i'm struggeling to get my desktop fitted on the screen as well..

i found out it can be done with Modelines and such, for a linux novice like me its not that easy to figure out.

I was wondering, since setting the overscan in XBMC, is there a way to let XBMC calculate or display somekinda information that can help find the Modeline, or even maybe give the Modeline? Big Grin

Well just some idea that went trough my head when i just resetted my Overscan Option in XBMC..
HTPC + Mediaserver
E8400 - ABIT I-N73HD - 2GB DDR2 - 3.5TB - Geforce G210 - ANTEC FUSION V2 - Ubuntu 10.04 - XBMC-PVR

TV-Server
Ubuntu 10.04 - Tvheadend - Smargo Reader - Oscam Card Server - 2x PCI DVB-C
No xbmc dosent change any modelines. if your resolution is 1280x720 but you only have 1250x710 visible pixels the xbmc settings only change the drawing window to 1250x710. modlines is a bigger issue becus then you haveto change the timmings to get all pixels drawn in the visible area.
This is really a better question for the ubuntu forums. XBMC is intended to run in fullscreen at all times and we could really care less what the desktop looks like or if it even exists.
i know.. but now i understand my idea is not possible.. was just wondering if it maybe was easy to see in XBMC which Modeline/Resolution would be perfect.
HTPC + Mediaserver
E8400 - ABIT I-N73HD - 2GB DDR2 - 3.5TB - Geforce G210 - ANTEC FUSION V2 - Ubuntu 10.04 - XBMC-PVR

TV-Server
Ubuntu 10.04 - Tvheadend - Smargo Reader - Oscam Card Server - 2x PCI DVB-C
Razor_109 Wrote:i know.. but now i understand my idea is not possible.. was just wondering if it maybe was easy to see in XBMC which Modeline/Resolution would be perfect.

XBMC isn't using modelines or xorg.conf or the like to adjust for overscan, it's simply adjusting the "zoom" on the screen (XBMC folks, correct me if I'm wrong) - which is such a simple solution I'm amazed something similar doesn't exist within the OS...

To make my desktop usable in ubuntu, I increased the size of the menu bars, so that I could at least see _some_ of the bar.

The ubuntu forums are a better place to ask, have fun.
Have you tried xvidtune?

look at this post that I made when I had similar issues:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781972

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Overscan Compensation0