Fullscreen not possible
Hi, ever since I started using xbmc, I'm totally hooked Smile. But there's just one problem. alt + \ won't work :/. No one else is experiencing this?

A few builds ago, it just jumped back to normal size, now, xbmc exits completely. If I put it on fullscreen using ubuntu, it refuses any keyboard/mouse input when I'm a few minutes into a movie, the movie keeps playing just fine, I'm just without any controls. When I press my shutdown button, it shows the shutdown bar so it's not like it's stuck completely... If only I could alt-tab out, but it will just keep playing the movie no matter what.

Also when I do a video calibration, it acts just the same, the program only responds to the shutdown button. This is an easy way to emulate the problem, or another problem I guess Smile.

Tried using devilspie to undecorate and maximize, but ended up with the same problems...

Any help on this? Thx a lot Smile. Amazing program, this is why I switched to ubuntu and I'll stay there Big Grin.

Here's my hardware:
Shuttle Sd39p2
Intel Q6600
Geforce 7900Gtx
2GB ram
Thanks for searching first! I love answering the same question 100 times a day!

Disable desktop effects in System > Preferences > Appearance for Ubuntu.
This question probably isn't going away, searching or not. Maybe it would be handy to have XBMC check this setting at startup and exit with an error if desktop effects are enabled?
If I am not mistaken, XBMC is being written to run without a desktop environment at all. So checking for a desktop setting wouldn't make much sense.
well it kind of does if it is a setting wich get stared from the desktop.
if you started xbmc without a windowmanager compiz or any other bling would not get started and it would not be an issue
Our GUI pretty much sucks unless the app is full screen, it never was nor will be intended for windowed use. We shouldn't have to go in and check for this crap. TBH compiz shouldn't be enabled by default, but that's an Ubuntu trying to attract users thing. It seems we have to answer this same question at least once daily so there should be plenty of posts to get this information from. We certainly will NOT cater to the lazy.
althekiller Wrote:Our GUI pretty much sucks unless the app is full screen, it never was nor will be intended for windowed use. We shouldn't have to go in and check for this crap. TBH compiz shouldn't be enabled by default, but that's an Ubuntu trying to attract users thing. It seems we have to answer this same question at least once daily so there should be plenty of posts to get this information from. We certainly will NOT cater to the lazy.

Fair enough. Me, I think you're refusing to make your own life easier just to spite the people who are making it harder, but whatever, that's every bit your right. FWIW, as far as I can tell the problem happens in fullscreen mode too when launched with the window manager running, so it's not just people who (oddly, I agree) want to run XBMC in a window.

I'm just heading out of town. When I return I'll see if I can put together a proposed patch with my meager coding skills. Something like "check if we're in a desktop environment, if so, check if compiz is enabled, error out if so."

Even as a casual user, I get tired of seeing the same question over and over again. And I'd rather solve the problem than complain that it shouldn't exist Big Grin
The problem is not with XBMC but in compiz under Hardy. Every OpenGL application have problems to switch in Fullscreen in Hardy when compiz is activated.
One workarround is to uncheck the "indirect rendering" option in the compiz configuration windows ( avalable by installing compizconfig-settings-manager ) under System->Preferences ->Advanced Desktop Efect configuration , in the general section.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Want a clean no-ads paste bin? http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/
I could care less about this since I don't run linux, but if people ask this daily then why not just make the title of this thread all caps, add a few question marks at the end "FULLSCREEN NOT POSSIBLEHuh", make it a sticky, and call it a day? Wink
wattazoum Wrote:The problem is not with XBMC but in compiz under Hardy. Every OpenGL application have problems to switch in Fullscreen in Hardy when compiz is activated.
One workarround is to uncheck the "indirect rendering" option in the compiz configuration windows ( avalable by installing compizconfig-settings-manager ) under System->Preferences ->Advanced Desktop Efect configuration , in the general section.

Ah! That explains why Compiz and all sorts of other tweaks were fine in 7.10! Folks were complaining about issues full screen and I'd read this solution a few times but never followed it because F/S worked fine for me. Then I upgraded and got hit with this weirdness, never occurred to me it was Compiz until I posted and yes was one of those many others asking. My machine isn't 100% dedicated to XBMC so the effects were fun to play with <shrug> I think I agree that having something check and let folks know it's an issue on the new Ubuntu until they fix it is a good idea. Surely they will fix Compiz if it's hitting other projects though, fingers crossed it's soon!Nerd
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Doh, sorry for not searching, but this is one stupid problem... People use ubuntu to run this, so they'll most likely have compiz running, just like me so I'm afraid this question won't go away easily. Thanks for the solutions though, gonna try them immediately.
hi,

this is my first posting around here, but have been using xbmc on xbox and linux as well as reading this forum for a while now. I really like the linux port so far.

but, I too have the problem with the latest svn release not getting fullscreen videos, though desktop effects are deactivated and my older build works fine.

so it can't just be the compiz thing, right?
Screenshot and FULL Debug Log.
Go into compiz settings manager (System/Preferences/Advanced desktop effect settings) and then under General Options turn off Unredirect fullscreen windows
Now fullscreen works again.. a bit slow switching back to window mode but it works Smile
althekiller Wrote:Screenshot and FULL Debug Log.

screenshot (well, not too much to see here..)
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7483/xbmcscreenzg1.jpg

Debug-Log:
http://pastebin.com/m17508703

@Crocodile

I tried that too, but no change.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fullscreen not possible0