Error: Unable to create gui. Exiting
Hello Everyone,

I just upgraded from 17.6 to 18.0 final release and have started to get the error message listed in subject.  Originally I tried and upgrade but eventually I just uinstalled (made sure appdata was deleted) and reinstalled.  Still getting same error.  Rebooted computer with no luck.  Made sure drivers were up to date.  I tried to change resolution in OS and guisettings and also set to windowed mode in guisettings.  Each time I change those settings it reverts them back to what they were in the gui settings file after opening kodi.  There are a few special cirucmstanes that may help. 

1) This is a windows server 2016 Workstation version.
2) It is in a Hyper-v session. 
3) I have tried both remote desktop and use the hyper-v tool and both give the same issue.
4) this was not a problem for version 17.6

I have tried suggestions from other people who have experienced the same issues with no luck.  Any advice would be great.

My log is located at https://paste.kodi.tv/akeneweyaf.kodi
No hits yet.  What have I done wrong?  How do I get this thread noticed so I can try some ideas.
Open you log and you will see all the fatal and error warnings, all related to the audio system. Do you have an audio card/driver installed?

Kodi is meant to be loaded on hardware which is connected directly to your TV/monitor via HDMI cable. Is that how you are setup? If yes, then you might want to check your Audio drivers.

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I'm getting the same issue, on a Toshiba laptop running Win8.1.  Was fine on 17.6 (and still is after a vanilla re-install) but upgrading to 18.0 or 18.1 (clean install) just bombs out with this "Unable to Create GUI" issue.
Tried all sorts of (standardized) resolution changes to no avail, as well as changes to guisettings.xml, which keeps resetting back to default.

Will check logs and come back if anything interesting or resolution is found.
So after looking around, I'm assuming non-dx11 capable hardware on Windows has been retired completely from any functionality for Kodi 18.x onwards.
Debug log
This is a laptop, so upgrades are out of the question.
Such a shame, and a little odd IMO.  I can understand opening up to newer graphics tech and capabilities, for 4k and onwards.
However, for the sake of a media player, on hardware which has no problem playing media on <=17.6, it seems strange to retire capabilities on older hardware, which I assume many XBMC/Kodi boxes are running on.

That said, and after searching a bit and not finding it, is Kodi retiring specific hardware levels for Linux based systems?  It may be an option to throw a distro on this laptop for the kids to watch stuff.
u could try if next link has influence Enabling GPU rendering on Windows Server 2016 / Windows 10 RDP if u don't like group objects, u could try next link Use hardware graphics adapters for all Remote Desktop Services sessions which shows the registry key for it. Depends on whether your machine is capable of supporting direct-x itself. If so this will enable it for remote desktop. I don't know if there's a hyper-v counterpart of it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error: Unable to create gui. Exiting0