smb music?
i guess something happened recently with samba music shares...

this is what happens to me:
if i install a fresh copy of xbmc (from PPA or from sources) and leave all the settings to default, when playing local files i get projectM visualizations but when trying to browse samba shares xbmc 'hangs' with lots of ERROR: Read - Error( Descrittore di file errato ) (which i guess is something like 'bad file descriptor')
on the other side, if i disable 'look for thumbs in remote shares' under configuration/music/files i can browse the remote shares but visualizations don't work anymore (and this is why of my last post... what's up?

btw, what happens with music doesn't with videos, so i guess there must be something specific to that setting...

could anyone help?
i must correct myself... the visualizations work only with local music files... whenever going remote the visualizations stop working and don't come back to life when returning to local files... now i'm going to mount a remote folder just to see if it's something internal to xbmc (so the mounted folder would work just fine) or something with my system
Ah! Can sort of confirm this.

I just get a black screen when music is playing - I've yet to ever see the visualizations despite having followed the instructions I thought, all of my music is over SMB. Mind you the music plays just fine. Can anyone else confirm that visualizations aren't working for SMB sourced music? Want to make sure I've not got something screwy but since Succo has actually SEEN them for local files I'm thinking this really is an issueBig Grin
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
edit: works just fine with mounted share... and of course the same folder works if i open it by the local path but doesn't if i open it with smb://

so, i guess must be something in how xbmc handles samba folders
ok, solved mounting all network shares as local folders and adding them to the sources... but i think the behaviour i pointed out needs to be investigated, doesn't it? Smile
succo Wrote:ok, solved mounting all network shares as local folders and adding them to the sources... but i think the behaviour i pointed out needs to be investigated, doesn't it? Smile

I wouldn't call that a *solution*, more of a workaround.

I can't replicate this bug. All vizs display regardless of music source. Something IS mucked up with the FFT code as none of the vizs seem to react properly to the music.
yes, of course it's just a workaround, but it seems to me to be quite strange that the same files behave differently if xbmc thinks they are local or remote... btw, as far as i remember, this is specific of projectM, as, as far as i remember (i'm not at the xbmc pc right now) the other vizs work with sources from smb shares, and video has no problem, just music (with 'look for thumbs in remote shares' enabled) and projectM
Can you post the revision number you're experiencing this on?

Also check /usr/local/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM to make sure there are actually presets (.milk) installed.
Would I be looking in that spot if I were running from SVN?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Depends on how you "install." If you're using build.sh then you'd look in your BUILD folder and follow a similar path. If you're using the install make target then you'd use the path as I mentioned.
althekiller Wrote:Can you post the revision number you're experiencing this on?

Also check /usr/local/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM to make sure there are actually presets (.milk) installed.

so... i'm on 13548 PPA located in /usr/share/xbmc

ls /usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM/*.milk gives me a lot of files, so the visualizations are there

on the other side, i have a manual build too, located in ~/XBMC/BUILD

that's R13862, visualizations are located in ~/XBMC/BUILD/visualizations/projectM and there are many (the ones coming down from svn)

both have the sabe behaviour:

i start it, try to reach a remote video share and i can see videos, try to reach a remote smb music share and xbmc hangs with 'bad file descriptor'

restart it, unmark 'look for thumbs in remote shares', try to reach a local music file, play it and have visualizations... the i try to reach a remote smb file and vizs stop working and don't come back when i retry with a local file

if i mount the remote folders with fstab or with mount, i have vizs working flawlessly ì
another thing that i think needs to be pointed out is that as far as i can see, the visualizations are loaded, just not 'visualized', as whenever i open a remote file i see the cpu use going up just like when the vizs are on screen, but with a blank screen

just another notice for althekiller regarding the smb music hang:
some days ago i had a working installation from PPA, but noticed the hang in sources build, that's why i reinstalled PPA from scratch and noticed i had the same smb hang, so i guess that updating older 'working' builds doesn't give the hang...

thanks again
althekiller Wrote:Depends on how you "install." If you're using build.sh then you'd look in your BUILD folder and follow a similar path. If you're using the install make target then you'd use the path as I mentioned.

Thanks, am using your build scriptNod

I build in a folder named XBMC, XBMC/visualizations/projectM/ has many .milk files so yeah I guess I can test this too. Building 13564 now and will try to get a log in a few mins.
@BLKMGK
try to put some music on an usb pen and play it with xbmc from it... if i'm right you'll have visualizations (as far as you play it just after starting xbmc)
after that, if you play something from smb (trying visualizations with, i guess, blank screen) and then go back to the pen, you'd notice that visualizations are gone... may you try this?

thanks Smile

btw...
me myself Wrote:on the other side, i have a manual build too, located in ~/XBMC/BUILD

that's R13862, visualizations are located in ~/XBMC/BUILD/visualizations/projectM and there are many (the ones coming down from svn)
of course, it was R13562
Ya', didn't get to this as planned yet Sad TV "occupied" ATM so cannot do it tonight. I will dig up a USB stick though just to make sure that the viz WILL work at all on my system too! Good suggestion, thank you.
Any progress in this case ?
I'm using Ubuntu and have the same problem:
local files = ok, SMB = black screen with ProjectM viz.
Intel NUC BOXD34010WYK2 / Intel mSata 525 30GB / Kingston 8 GB / Intel 7260hmw

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
smb music?0