[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Active/Passive Multi Zone Audio Support
Don't all digital receivers already do multi-zone support?
(2012-07-29, 12:06)HeresJohnny Wrote: Don't all digital receivers already do multi-zone support?

I think you're thinking of multi-channel whereas they're talking about multi-zone. Multi-Zone meaning that one box can run a set of 5.1 (multi-channel) speakers in the living room, and a separate set of 5.1 speakers in the bedroom and send synchronized audio to both, or different audio to each

This could be done without TOO much work on the backend using VLC. The previous addon accomplished this using VLC as an external player, but that made things feel a little disconnected and the audio was always out of sync due to the network lag. Here's what I'm thinking could improve this.

Setup an addon that launches VLC headlessly in the background, which broadcasts the AV stream. It then plays the stream in the native XBMC player. Now that the local player is also listening to the network stream, they should be much easier to sync. This has the added benefit of letting non-xbmc devices in on the fun. If you want to play something else in another zone, it launches another instance on VLC streaming the new content. If there is an xbmc device in that zone, that device could launch VLC and then report back to the original requester. A multi-master setup would help in distributing the load. You could get really crazy and set thresholds for RAM/CPU usage. If the master in that zone is bogged down, an idle master in another part of the house could take over the vlc streaming and let the 2nd master stream from it.
I like the enthusiasm guys but many of you are interpreting the feature request incorrectly... The ask is for a central XBMC controller and NO active hub devices - thus an Active/Passive system. I, and many others, want only one device to manage. It avoids all the problems many have been trying to overcome with syncing databases, using MySQL, etc.

Many of the aformentioned solutions (like Sonos) are active/active systems - thus they cost more money to implement due to added device cost. Active/Active is popular for retrofit environments where new wiring is not desired - since audio can be streamed on any cheap network (wifi, bluetooth, etc). Sonos does have some nice 'added features' but you pay through the nose for it too. These features can easily be integrated into an Active/Passive system at far less cost.

I have created a more descriptive diagram to explain Active/Active vs Active/Passive... I hope this helps.

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Music 
Great Graphical Representation Livin.

Hardware Side: I'm thinking the active/active system (similar to Sonos) can be done on the cheap.
Costs: Individual room audio devices running Rasp Pi with audio outs to small amp/speaker arrangement. I have priced all of this out for under $100 minus some sort of custom case. Each unit can be controlled through the main media server (XBMC) with inexpensive client control devices (i.e. old android/apple phones touch pads, can get really creative here.), no interfaces needed on the units themselves (keep costs down).

The following still remains:
1) Multi-room control interface (OSLI's post "Page 4" is a good start) I'm going to start to dig into Skinning and we'll see where it goes.
2) XBMC Main Server needs to be able to auto recognize each unit that comes online (RaspBMC, OpenELEC) from other locations via wireless or hardline (eth). This is the true intelligence that sonos has given the world. Think they are using a mesh network (maybe something like zigbee) but I don't know if this is necessary?? As long as we get auto recognition of the units that come online and auto polling of what XBMC "main" server is streaming to each unit we may have a good start. Hub (XBMC Main Server) and Spoke (XBMC "thin" units - RaspPI) arrangement. I know there may be a lot more to this so I would like to open it up to some serious development discussions! So have at it!

Power On!

Sonos Mesh Network Info:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...t-sonosnet
A service addon on the main unit could try to contact each unit that has been setup at regular intervals. If contact succeeds, it marks that unit as online.

I also like the idea of any one unit being able to take over as master at any time. Maybe whenever you setup a new unit on the master, it gives the new unit the contact information for all the other units it knows about and tells all the other units about the new unit. Whenever a unit comes online, they all exchange "contact lists" again incase there have been changes or additions since it was last online
Guys,
Please make a new thread specific to your goal of Active/Active Multizone. This thread is a Feature Request specific to Active/Passive Multizone.

thank you
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
NEW THREAD POSTED HERE...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138445
Livin,

I am actually searching for the same thing as you I guess:

1 Media center with XBMC in the basement
--> 1 instance of XBMC runnnig with access to all shared media on the LAN & to the internet (digital radio etc)
--> media center has x sound cards
--> each sound card connected to simple amplifier (also located in the basement)
--> each ampli connected to another speaker set
--> 1 speaker set/room

Using XBMC I want to be able to:
--> play different music streams in different rooms [mandatory]
--> play the same music stream in different rooms [optional]

Do I understand you correctly that you realized such a setup with another software? Do you have more info? Or is there a workaround available on XBMC?
thanks!
Hi,

I am also very interest in the
active-passive multi-zone
stereo audio system

currently using pulseaudio as audio switch and volume control
to do
play different audio in different rooms
and
play the same audio in different rooms

PHP Code:
PC -------+ ------> mini_amp1 --------------------------------> room1 --> speakerpair1

|
          + ------> 
mini_amp2 --------------------------------> room2 --> speakerpair2 

also looking for volume control with impedance matching for every rooms

PHP Code:
PC -------+ ------> mini_amp1 -------------------------------- room1 --> volume control --> speakerpair1

|
          + ------> 
mini_amp2 -------------------------------- room2 --> volume control --> speakerpair2

|
          + ------> 
mini_amp3 -------------------------------- room3 --> volume control --> speakerpair3 

this is not a high-end system, just very small budget newbie project
for our small home.

it will be very interesting if xbmc support the multizone future. i am looking forward for it

thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Active/Passive Multi Zone Audio Support2