PPA-SVN Problem: r.13548 (SegFault on start)
First off, I do realize that the PPA-SVN builds are very much unsupported. I thought I would start a thread however because I am aware of at least one other user experiencing this problem (found him on irc).

Here are the details:

Running 8.04 fully updated.
SVN-PPA 13548

Almost immediately after running xbmc.bin I am getting a Segmentation Fault.

GDB Backtrade (Pastebin)
xbmc.log (Pastebin)
NOW: AppleTV+CrystalHD PREVIOUS: HTPC and XBOX (both loudly running XBMC)
You should not run xbmc.bin (unless you have write access to /usr/share/xbmc) .

run /usr/bin/xbmc
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Want a clean no-ads paste bin? http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/
@watt: Yes, I ran it as root. It is necessary to run gdb on the actual binary, not the start-up script.

I did solve my problem however... It seems that after the last batch of Ubuntu updates (most likely it was xserver-xorg-core but I can't be sure), something went, 'haywire' with my Nvidia drivers. I am *not* using the Ubuntu-shipped proprietary drivers, I did a manual install. Usually only on a kernel version update do I need to recompile, because when that is the case, the nvidia module will not load into the kernel. This time around X was running OK and the kernel module was loading, but only XBMC was having problems. After some a few hours of troubleshooting, I decided to reinstall the Nvidia drivers (which recompiles the kernel module) and then everything started to work fine.

In short: If you manually installed the Nvidia drivers from nvidia.com, be sure to reinstall after the last batch of updates.
NOW: AppleTV+CrystalHD PREVIOUS: HTPC and XBOX (both loudly running XBMC)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PPA-SVN Problem: r.13548 (SegFault on start)0