Post of the Day [split] So badly update!!!
I’m XBMC/KODI user from years and never experienced so badly update!!!
Removing core functionality can reverse this software to the Stone Age.
Also I’m surprised with Team Kodi answers on this forum. Rude without any technical support at all.
People involved in this update should be kicked out from dev team ASAP.
If you are using your software for library with five movies on it then you can update your app that way.
I have spent 3 days reversing your automatic update on android tv box and tho network servers running OSX
Have 6 drives with more then 8,5 thousand titles over there.
Your unprofessional approach cost my time and offline kodi servers for few days.
Your implementation of Samba across different platforms always was a mess mostly excused by Microsoft, Apple, etc but the truth is basic and simple. This is your lack in skills around this protocols.
There’s no security issues with SSH. This is admin decision if he like to risk vulnerable ssl or switch to tls and appropriate version of it. Don’t pretend to excuse your lack in knowledge by doing this kind of mess like your 18.0 ver app. Simple revert this functionality and extend it by option for ssl/tls and you are covered with all security complains and you keep developing core functionality which was included in your software from years and many people use it.
And don’t be ridiculous saying that including ssh, sftp and so on protocols is a heavy load for your app!!!
Never heard more stupid comment.

Shame for you
I think the reason for moving some functionality like this to plugins makes sense. Automatically detecting that people were using functionality that was moved to plugins and installing those plugins (or showing an info message that the functionality used now requires a plugin) during first startup of Kodi 18 also would've been nice though. Smile

I also ran into a similar issue and had to find the answer in a forum thread so perhaps it's more of a communication issue. I was also migrating from SPMC to Kodi however so I was expecting some issues due to the larger version jump. Even though none of my issues were actually due to that migration, I'm still happy overall since Kodi 18 solved an issue I've been having for quite a while on my Nvidia Shield TV (the automatic switching of the refresh rate would cause video playback to become garbled 99% of the time, forcing me to fast forward and back again once to solve it) so the experience is noticably improved. Overall it just seems to be handled better. It's been flawless everytime so far.
(2019-02-16, 23:58)zimnysbrain Wrote: I’m XBMC/KODI user from years and never experienced so badly update!!!
Like life itself: sometimes things go unexpected.

(2019-02-16, 23:58)zimnysbrain Wrote: People involved in this update should be kicked out from dev team ASAP.
In that case, Kodi 18.1 would be the last release. We'll close the door, and each of us will probably pick up a new hobby.

(2019-02-16, 23:58)zimnysbrain Wrote: I have spent 3 days reversing your automatic update on android tv box and tho network servers running OSX
Have 6 drives with more then 8,5 thousand titles over there.
Your unprofessional approach cost my time and offline kodi servers for few days.
For your information... It was NEVER *our* automatic update. The Android eco system has a default auto update policy on all of its devices, and EVERY USER can disable that automatic update. Apparently you haven't bothered to do so on *your* Android TV.

And since when did we ever present ourselves as professionals? Again, Kodi software is open-source and all done by volunteers. Kodi is free of charge and used by millions of people. Nobody in the team gets any type of salary, bonus or 'company shares'. It's a hobby project for all of us, nothing more.

The assessment that this Kodi 18 release has more problems than previous releases is simply evident. The whole additional Samba spaghetti situation, as well as various changes in OS/firmware updates on certain hardware (f.e. Fire Stick, Nvidia Shield TV, Windows) which are outside our reach, doesn't help either. We already have a Kodi 18.1 release, with 18.2 as the next.

If you want to qualify yourself as 'professional', at least be precise in your accusations as there is no such thing as a "Kodi server". These are your own file servers, and they are your own responsibility. This has been so since the beginning of XBMC. Mentioning the number of drives and number of x-thousand titles is irrelevant. Over the years during testing Kodi, I myself have had a number of times that Kodi had problems or even crashed. It has never affected my (Linux) file servers. I'm curious which problem(s) your file servers may have had. Servers going off-line because of a client application says probably more about your OSX servers than about Kodi. Maybe your OSX servers are simply unstable?

(2019-02-16, 23:58)zimnysbrain Wrote: Your implementation of Samba across different platforms always was a mess mostly excused by Microsoft, Apple, etc but the truth is basic and simple. This is your lack in skills around this protocols.
And what if that were the case? Perhaps we do have more video skills than network skills. Nobody is perfect.

(2019-02-16, 23:58)zimnysbrain Wrote: And don’t be ridiculous saying that including ssh, sftp and so on protocols is a heavy load for your app!!!
Never heard more stupid comment.
I have. We need to take into account various different machines, not just your Android TV. From 'giant' Core i7 PCs to tiny Raspberry Pi Zero W devices.

And finally, I have also split your post into a new thread. Next time you want to start a rant, create your own forum thread instead of hijacking someone else's topic. That's not very professional.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] So badly update!!!1