Solved How to change the display device?
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ /usr/bin/kodi --version
18.0 Git:20190130-aa48862e98 Media Center Kodi
Copyright © 2005-2018 Team Kodi - http://kodi.tv

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.79-v7+ #1159 SMP Sun Nov 4 17:50:20 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

I am trying to troubleshoot performance problems. My pi and the file server (an imac) are in separate rooms.

It would make things much easier if I could see kodi running in a vnc session on the imac. Otherwise I have to keep moving from one room to the other.

How do I tell kodi on this pi to use a vnc display, and not the HDMI?
I worked around this.

I started by trying to use Kodi 17.3 on my iMac as a UPnP player, but it kept crashing when I pointed the Pi, running 18.1, at it.

So I looked at file sharing options.

AFP was annoying.

I didn't try SMB.

I was trying to understand the NFS way of sharing files, which is why I started the thread.

Since then, I upgraded the iMac's kodi to 18.1, and I renamed my iMac's userdata folder and did minimal config to enable UPnP. I managed to watch some video files sent form the iMac to the pi via UPnP. I also watched some Youtube and Zattoo (via the pi, not UPnP).

Now I seem to have a stable setup, and am just trying to get used to what, for me, is Kodi's illogical interface. No doubt I'll have an epiphany and the hidden beauty will reveal itself to me.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to change the display device?0