[ALL PLATFORMS] The theory and practice of video source tagging and flagging?
OK here is a list of potential source strings obtained by a bit of reverse engineering and some googling.

Lets focus on this list for a bit:

cam
ts
tc
scr
dvdscr
wp
dvdrip
dvdrips
pdtv
vhsrip
tvrip
hdtv
dsr
dsrip
hddvd
hddvd
bluray
blu-ray

some of these will be dupes and there is a discussion to be had if it would be better to classify groups of these strings under a wider banners.

e.g. dsr and pdtv could be in the source group SDTV.

I am open to suggestions but please please no more random OT talk about studios or the like theres plenty of other threads for that Smile
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
Apologies for taking this off track - using my l33t moderator sk1llz I've moved the studio related posts to this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55219

nfo file I approve of. This is the ideal, but it involves people actually typing one up (or using some media manager) of which I disapprove :p

Scraping from the filename for media obtained via the internet (as per xexe's list) is also an option - it's one that's unlikely to cause problems as well. Another option for said files is that I'm told that scene nfo files often have details of the source as well - I'm not sure if it's worth attempting to parse them - the filename is perhaps more useful?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

No problems at all and thanks for that.

I have done some basic testing and it looks lie parsing the filename for one of these source phrases surrounded by a delimiter is accurate and false positive free. So this part is a no brainer.

We should probably have a config system similar to season and ep scraper to allow users to add their own source keywords. Where that gets tricky is that adding a bespoke regex match would grab the source text but showing that text via the gui wouldnt be with an image. I suspect all skinners will use images for these sources like HD Tagging. Not sure how to get around that one.

For the files that dont have a source in the filename is there anything we can do by looking at the resolution/codec/frames/video length vs size themselves to categorize them "generally". I suspect not but its worth asking.

Can i suggest that this could become a more complicated project than we first envisioned however stage 1 could be as simple as:

detect HDDVD, BluRay and DVDRIP from the filename. This would remove the need for the designers to do this in the skin and by adding it to the core database improve the current situation.

I would also suggest it is logical to do this scanning along side the HD tagging.

xexe Wrote:Can i suggest that this could become a more complicated project than we first envisioned however stage 1 could be as simple as:

detect HDDVD, BluRay and DVDRIP from the filename. This would remove the need for the designers to do this in the skin and by adding it to the core database improve the current situation.

I would also suggest it is logical to do this scanning along side the HD tagging.

personally, i've never liked the idea of having to rename all my files for whatever purpose.
so if this idea gets implemented, i hope support for providing this info through a .nfo file could be implemented as well.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
xexe Wrote:...Specifically its not about the politics of it, external nfo tools, how skins should or shouldn’t work etc or anything else; just ideas on the theory and practice....

I am not against the idea in the slightest but it is important we stay focused on initial implementations and not complicate it with something that will happen naturally over time.

Would indeed be great if this discussion wont get distracted by politics. I would love to have XBMC look at the NFO, which allows for those who want to edit using NFO editors. For those who prefer not to use them, it of course would be ideal if this doesnt remain the only option.

Thanks to everyone's help!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Would indeed be great if this discussion wont get distracted by politics. I would love to have XBMC look at the NFO, which allows for those who want to edit using NFO editors. For those who prefer not to use them, it of course would be ideal if this doesnt remain the only option.

Any news whether it would be possible to include source info into the NFO file. That would be really a major improvement to the current handling by file type. Thoughts?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Thought i'd put my 2 cents in and say that extracting from the file name for my tv and movie library wouldn't work very well. However getting the source (the ones from xexe's list) from the folder name that the file is stored in would give 100% correct info.

Quite often my files end up being sdfe-123.avi. However my folder is Safe.Die.Fling.Elephant-Dvdrip.xvid-123.

Not sure if this is even possible but if it is considered that would be great.
Cheers
Not only do I think it would be possible I think it would be the way it would work.

We would simply parse the3 whole file and path for keywords and use that.

This is never going to be 100% accurate as the info just wont be there 100% of the time but since some skins already do it and it on paper is very similar to alot of things XBMC already has code for it makes alot of sense to me.

I can also offer to do all of the regex and testing against that regex.

I have updated the list and grouped them where appropriate. I am prepared to bet some of the groupings are wrong.

r5
cam
ts
tc
wp
dvdscr|dvdrip|dvdrips
vhs|vhsrip|vhsscr|scr
sdtv|pdtv|tvrip
dsr|dsrip
hdtv
hddvd|hd-dvd
bluray|blu-ray|bdrip|brrip

On top of this I think we need to differentiate between a proper source and say a SCR of that source. They are in effect two different things.

I am open to suggestion of giving them completely different groupings or to do a second match once the main grouping has been derived.

I would like to see us get to the point where we can assign a number to each group and have a field in the database for it.

The actual population of this field is another much bigger job that can be looked at separately.

Had some discussions on this and there are some policitcs to take into account.

To that end can I suggest we simply clasify sources as:

SDTV
HDTV
DVD
LASERDISC
HDDVD
BLURAY

the means of detecting these is a debate for a later day.

The main focus this now is to stop skins having to do the work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ALL PLATFORMS] The theory and practice of video source tagging and flagging?0