New View Concept - Wide Icon Carosel
Basically I had an idea for a "view type" this morning, and, rather poorly I'll admit, made a quick mockup to explain my idea better:

The red arrows show the movement of the view.

I guess essentially its a "Wide Icon Carosel", but I figured I'd share and see what people think.

Im no coder, but how difficult would a view like this be to put in place?
NickyZero - Currently making LCARS for XBMC
All info can be found here and here

I am well aware that my grammer is poor, instead of flaming about it, help me with it... "Help me, to help you!"
I tried to watch the large image, but even with the direct links it gives that hotlinking warning.
But I get the picture Smile I don't think it would be too difficult for someone who has skills in more advanced, triggered animation (which I don't have yet) but I guess it would require about as much code as a coverflow like viewtype.
Looks interesting though Smile
Hey, I see you're an LFS fan? Cool Cool
pretty sure something is wrong with supload right now, thats why we're not seeing the pic... other supload pics of mine aren't working either (that have been working for weeks/months)

So i guess give it time, but i am wanting to see your mockup Big Grin
I can see fine using firefox, looks intresting
Like I say was just a concept idea that I had, and thought I'd share, I agree with the idea about coverflow, I suppose its just the same, but different angles!

btw, whats LFS? Those were just some icons i grabbed from mediaicons.org (awsome site btw!) the only game there I actually play (and love!) is Jet Set Radio!

I am well aware that my grammer is poor, instead of flaming about it, help me with it... "Help me, to help you!"
NickyZero Wrote:btw, whats LFS? Those were just some icons i grabbed from mediaicons.org (awsome site btw!) the only game there I actually play (and love!) is Jet Set Radio!

Ah ok, I noticed one banner has the live for speed logo on it and assumed you play it Smile
Interesting Concept!
The code is doable however it might look funny if you didn't have enough programs to fill the blades.
Wir3d Wrote:Interesting Concept!
The code is doable however it might look funny if you didn't have enough programs to fill the blades.

Maybe the amount of space between the blades could be dependent on the number of blades? With a min and max space. Then if there still isn't enough to fill the screen using min space, they could just repeat?

You're right though this would look best with lots of items... just like coverflow. Coverflow looks kind of silly (to me) with just 2-3 items. So really it'd be up to the user to choose an alternative sort method.
rwparris2 Wrote:Maybe the amount of space between the blades could be dependent on the number of blades? With a min and max space. Then if there still isn't enough to fill the screen using min space, they could just repeat?

You're right though this would look best with lots of items... just like coverflow. Coverflow looks kind of silly (to me) with just 2-3 items. So really it'd be up to the user to choose an alternative sort method.

I agree, you could always leave the choice to the end user, and does make me wonder how other Icon styles would look in this view, say DVD/3D covers, or the old saveimage.xbx style.

But I suppose its like many views, my "Movie" collevtion looks weak on "poster wall", but as a convential list looks better.

I like the concept, should not be to hard to code, just allot of coding, most of the skins it probably won't blend in nicely on some interfaces or just look weird.
it kind of reminds me of the song selection menu from Dance Dance Revolution
Hm, I think it looks ok - but from a usability standpoint whould you really want something like that ? Reading the banners from an angle can be quite difficult so you more or less only have the horizontal banner and maybe one or two next to this that are at an angle that doesn't make reading it a new sport.
That then makes it a gimmick that could look quite nice, but I don't think I would ever really use it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New View Concept - Wide Icon Carosel0