Where to go next?
BLKMGK, or anyone else you cares to offer a suggestion, can you offer any hints, tips or tricks on how to get my MCE remote to work? I was under the impression that support was already included in the latest XBMC but mine doesn't work at all.
Actually I think I figured the remote question out myself
please share..
Honestly the MCE USB I've got was pretty PnP. Set the correct config in the Lirc setup when it's run and it "just worked" with XBMC. Easiest setup ever! When I upgraded to 8.04 it continued to function much to my relief. ZipZoomFly has them dirt cheap too Big Grin

BTW Snappz I sent you an email requesting you send to me so I can forward you my profile for meGUI.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Honestly the MCE USB I've got was pretty PnP. Set the correct config in the Lirc setup when it's run and it "just worked" with XBMC. Easiest setup ever!
I had the same experience, very easy and very straightforward.
XBMC on Gentoo is as good as it gets! :o
Smile 
Well I thought I had this figured out but only partially. I installed lirc but my model of remote didn't show up in the list. I found a post that said run lirc then "do irw" which I have no idea what that means and I found a suggestion on the site I purchased the remote from that I would need to use the lirc_mceusb2 driver to get it to work with linux, but my noobishness keeps me from figuring out how to install a driver in linux that's not showing up in the Hardware Driver tool.

I'm still looking but if anyone wants to toss out a suggestions I wouldn't complain :-)
Reinstall Lirc, that will take you through the setup again. I seem to recall it is the "Microsoft" MCE remote you want to look for - it's in the list but a PITA to find as I recall.

Oh "do irw" means to bring up a console window and type "irw" to run that program Smile
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Smile 
I'll re-run the lirc install and look for the Microsoft remote as you suggest.

As for the irw, bringing up a terminal and running as you describe was my first guess but when I did that I got the message "connect: No such file or directory found" which I took to mean there was more to the command string that needed to be entered. Since "do irw" was all that was suggested I didn't know where to go from there.
Smile 
Ah ha, how about Windows Media Center Remotes - old and new versions. I'll give that a try tonight and report back.

Thanks again!
Big Grin 
Woo -hoo, remote now works, more or less. Some of the important buttons don't work with the default setting, but if I'm reading correctly there's a way to remap them.

One more step and I've got a functioning XBMC HTPC ... gotta figure out how to run XBMC, in full screen, on boot up.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Heh, this could turn into a FAQ Big Grin xbmc.bin -q

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where to go next?0