• 2(current)
Best XBMC HTPC Hardware with HDMI / HD / 1080p + HDMI Audio
@Gaarv could you please post your config?

i'm actually working for a site for this kind of this... aka post your xbmc post, stuff..
icekiller Wrote:motherboard:
Asus P5N-EM HDMI nForce® 630i, 2xPCI, 1xPCIe x1, 1xPCIe x16, 3xDDR2, Sound, Gbit LAN, VGA shared, S-ATA II RAID, HDMI
OR
Asus P5E-VM HDMI Intel® G35, 1xPCI, 2xPCIe x1, 1xPCIe x16, 4xDDR2, Gbit LAN, VGA shared, S-ATA II RAID, FW, HDMI

Icekiller, both of the mobos you referenced lack S/PDIF. Has anyone found a good mobo with onboard S/PDIF and onboard Nvidia video?
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H,nForce-630i+GF7100 ,m-ATX, Socket-775, DDR2, HDMI, PCI-Ex16
@jkrellner, de P5N-EM has a spdif expansion card.. i have that one right here.. using it right now with SPDIF...
icekiller Wrote:@jkrellner, de P5N-EM has a spdif expansion card.. i have that one right here.. using it right now with SPDIF...

No onboard S/PDIF -- see the specs at NewEgg.com.

You said you have an expansion card, but I want it onboard. If it does have it and these pictures are wrong, I would get it in a heartbeat, because the price is right and with nVidia video onboard, it is perfect for XBMC.
http://www.supercalculatoare.com/images/...if-out.jpg

thats the spdif out for that motherboard...
Narogh Wrote:Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H,nForce-630i+GF7100 ,m-ATX, Socket-775, DDR2, HDMI, PCI-Ex16

The Mobo quoted above has some really nasty reviews at Newegg.com. After some research, I found this one: ABIT I-N73HD LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard that looks pretty good. Pretty much the same specs and comparable price.
@jkrellner, that motherboard doesn't have a spdif out either?

ah now i see it
icekiller Wrote:@jkrellner, that motherboard doesn't have a spdif out either?

Yes it does, look right to the left of the HDMI port. It has one optical port.
jkrellner Wrote:The Mobo quoted above has some really nasty reviews at Newegg.com. After some research, I found this one: ABIT I-N73HD LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard that looks pretty good. Pretty much the same specs and comparable price.

Could anyone tell me what the audio chipset is on this card and/or if it works well with s/pdif passthrough in ubuntu?

Seems like a good mobo candidate of a xbmc computer otherwise.
Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H also seems pretty good,
1. Supports Intel® Core™ 2 multi-core and 45nm processors
2. Solid capacitors design in CPU VRM
3. Dual Channel DDR2 800 for outstanding system performance
4. Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (Intel GMA 3100)
5. Integrated SATA 3Gb/s interface
6. Features high speed Gigabit Ethernet and IEEE1394
7. Integrated ALC889A 8-Channel High Definition audio with DTS support
8. Features full rate lossless Blu-ray/ HD DVD audio
9. Integrated HDMI interface for high Definition video (1080) playback with HDCP support

onboard SDPIF
I'd stay away from the 7100's and go to the 7150's
the 7100's may not be enough of a card to support 1080p
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813188021

I've built 3 systems so far with this Board and I highly recommend it.
t029248 Wrote:What about the Harmony remotes are they working yet. Btw where are to Config's posted, then i can look around for a combination of devices i'd like to use?

Harmony remote will work with anything with a little bit of config, since it can send pretty much any signal. More depends on the receiver, I have mine setup with a hauppage 350 I had lying around.
return null;
gzusrawx Wrote:I'd stay away from the 7100's and go to the 7150's
the 7100's may not be enough of a card to support 1080p
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813188021

I've built 3 systems so far with this Board and I highly recommend it.

I can vouch for the 7150 as well. I have an Abit ANM2-HD and it plays pretty much everything I throw at it. Only thing it chugs on is an 18g x264 transformers movie at 1080p, and only at certain spots. Seems like everytime I update xbmc more and more of these spots disappear. I'm fairly confident that this card will eventually play it. Worst case I still have the option of throwing in another card to handle it.
return null;
I thought CPU was the driving factor in the ability to play 1080p, and that GPU was not all that important? If that is not the case, then I think I will go with a board without onboard video and instead get a standalone 8600 or something like that, just to be safe. Money is not exactly no object, but if a few extra $$$ will ensure that the machine can play everything up to and including the killa sampla, so be it.

The EVGA board has gotten terrible reviews on newegg, and I generally trust in those reviews (if there are enough of them). gzusrawx, have you been able to get 1080p content with digital surround using that board?

With respect to the Gigabyte board, I thought that IBM video was not ideal? I want to use a touchscreen in a dual monitor setup, so I think it would be best if I stuck with nVidia, no? I also read somewhere in this forum that the GMA 3100 is not OpenGL 2.0 and therefore probably not great for XBMC (problems with Xorg, I think -- although I am just paraphrasing what I recall reading elsewhere and probably getting it wrong).

The problem I have been experiencing is finding good, solid micro-ATX boards with onboard S/PDIF optical and/or coaxial outputs. Does anyone have any experience with the HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound CardHuh Perhaps a little pricey, but has great feedback, including two users who have it installed on a Linux system and say it works great.

That sound card, together with an 8600 and an E8400, should be able to rock the killa sampla and thus, virtually everything out there.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best XBMC HTPC Hardware with HDMI / HD / 1080p + HDMI Audio3