Videos not filling the screen
I have a small problem with Kodi and playing some videos when the image doesn't fill the screen size (1360x768).
Instead of filling the extra area with black bars, I see the Raspbian desktop and whatever is there.

I've tried looking for answers but I can't get it right. Any ideas where to look? Not sure if I need to fiddle with kodi settings or Raspbian config files.

Thanks in advance
Normally the backslash '\' character should switch Kodi between window mode and full screen.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Doing that switches to a small screen and back to my previous problem.

Kodi is in fact working on fullscreen, because the OSD fills the whole TV, but the video itself only covers part of the display and I have two "transparent" bars at the top and bottom that shot my desktop.
Disabling MMAL acceleration seemed to fix the problem, but after restarting Kodi I haven't been able to repeat the success.

What I'll do until I find a fix is using a black wallpaper and hiding the Raspbian menu bar before I play a movie, so even if the bars are transparent, I'll only see black.
If Kodi is the only application you want/need, you could also try LibreELEC. It's a pretty rock solid solution for the Raspberry Pi devices.
How are you starting Kodi ? That problem may happen, if you have something using the framebuffer when Kodi starts, for example "fbi" program or other splashscreen programs.
Also please reproduce the problem again and post your kodi debug log.
I just start it from the programs menu, and usually it's the first program it runs in the OS.

I've found a workaround to solve the problem. If I change the resolution to something different, like 1024x768, and then back to the native one 1366x768, Kodi fills the areas with black color.
After I simply restart the program, it goes back to the transparent bars.

It must be something related to raspbian video config, but honestly it doesn't bother me that much to do the resolution trick prior to watching a movie.
Yes, it is most likely some change you (or something you installed) made to config.txt or kodi default settings. Without a kodi debug log we cannot know for sure.

PS: Try enabling "Adjust refresh rate to monitor" in Kodi Settings.
I finally found why it happens.

In config.txt I use the hdmi_pixel_encoding setting to set the color range to limited because the full range makes my TV show too rich and bright colors.

Disabling the option fixes the transparency.

I've always haf to set the colors to limited with ally pc's on that TV for the same reason, so I guess I'll do the resolution trick whenever I want to watch a movie.
Looks like you have found a bug. I tested on a TV which defaults to CEA limited, on opposite of yours which defaults to DMT full:
Code:
state 0x12000a [HDMI CEA (16) RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz, progressive
If I force full color range with hdmi_pixel_encoding=2, the same happens. Looks like it is triggered if you force a color range not native to the TV.
Unfortunately I cannot help much here, looks like a firmware bug, maybe @popcornmix has any insight ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Videos not filling the screen0