XBMC with dual monitors (including one touchscreen)?
Question 
I am going to custom-build an HTPC specifically for XBMC. Since I do not really have space on my theater rack, I have decided to go with a cheap case in lieu of a fancy HTPC case. The case will be hidden in my component cabinet. However, this type of setup would mean I have to turn on my whole system (including projector) in order to start playing media, which does not make a lot of sense just for music.

To get around that, I am thinking about utilizing a small touchscreen monitor as a second display and input device. The idea would be for the monitor to just be a cloned display -- showing the XBMC interface only, thus allowing navigation through XBMC and into my music without turning on my theater projector.

My question for the forum is: will XBMC LiveUSB support this setup (the touchscreens I am looking at use serial or USB interfaces for the touch functions), or would I have to install XBMC the "ordinary" way (i.e., install Ubuntu, then install XBMC)? My preference is to just have a USB or small SSD as the storage media on this computer, as all the media will be stored elsewhere.

If it is tricky, based on my review of this forum, it seems that I could set up Ubuntu initially using a spare hard drive (I have plenty laying around) and then transfer xorg.conf to the root of the USB stick. Would this work?

Of course, if anyone has any ideas for alternative display/input devices, or knows of a particularly cheap touchscreen/display solution (other than iMon), I would love to hear from you.
jkrellner, you can install ubuntu @ usb stick.. and recreate the 'liveusb' xbmc...

i wrote a tutorial that can accomplish that... maybe need to speed it up etc.. Smile i'll see what i can do for a compleet A to Z installation guide for USB..

btw if the touchscreen & window cloning works in linux, then it should work @ xbmc..
icekiller Wrote:jkrellner, you can install ubuntu @ usb stick.. and recreate the 'liveusb' xbmc...i wrote a tutorial that can accomplish that... maybe need to speed it up etc.. Smile i'll see what i can do for a compleet A to Z installation guide for UBS..

Icekiller -- Is it the same "slimmed down" version of Ubuntu as on Luigi's LiveUSB? The key for me is to keep the Ununtu system as slimmed down as possible so that the CPU is not wasting time doing other things in the background (this computer will be used SOLELY to run XBMC). I also like not having to log into Ubuntu at boot, as my HTPC will not normally have a keyboard connected to it (or, if it does, it will not be easily accessible).
@jkrellner, if you do a 'server install' on the usb stick you get the 'very very' basic stuff
then you just need to install the packages that are needed +Xorg and then xbmc...

if you use the XBMC live usb it auto logins well exactly it doesn't even have gnome so there isn't a need to login, its xorg with xbmc running in it. The down side is you don't have a window manager. So you need to be pretty confident about your linux skils (openssh server maybe the best way, you can connect to your HTPC @ your main pc and then use the internet to config the stuff you need).

http://hnboekhouding.be/rss/xbmc_hardy_ubuntu.pdf <-- thats the heavy weight installation, there is also a tutorial about the lightweight, i'll see if i can find it..

maybe make my own..
Thanks for the info. I intend to give this a shot, but it will not be for a couple months at least (I need to save up the $800 it will take to acquire all the components). If you finish your tutorial, please let me know.

I am relatively comfortable within Linux, but I am new to the whole concept of bootable USB sticks and how to make them. If this turns out how I intend, it should be awesome (and not too expensive if you ask me)!
icekiller Wrote:jkrellner, you can install ubuntu @ usb stick.. and recreate the 'liveusb' xbmc...

i wrote a tutorial that can accomplish that... maybe need to speed it up etc.. Smile i'll see what i can do for a compleet A to Z installation guide for USB..

@icekiller, do you by chance have a link to the tutorial on creating a "liveUSB" XBMC install? For the reasons stated in THIS POST, I think I am going to have to do this from scratch.

Can you install Linux directly to a USB stick without extra tools? I want to be able to do system updates, XBMC ppa updates, etc. I know Fedora has a USB installer -- does Ubuntu have something like that? I would like to stick with command line if possible. If not, I will have to use XFCE or something like that.

And, if at all possible, I would like to avoid using a HDD.
Supporter of all things Linux, Android, XBMC and NextPVR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC with dual monitors (including one touchscreen)?0