• 1(current)
[WINDOWS] Boot directly to XBMC for Windows (in full-screen) as the shell on Windows?
Question 
Ok, so I saw the technique of booting to XBMC from a flash drive. My question is: can I install XBMC on a separate hard drive by itself and then boot to it??
Yes and no. No, because XBMC is not a operating system and -- Yes, since you can have Windows (or more commonly, Linux) boot up and autostart xbmc into fullscreen, giving the "feel" of what you're suggesting.
XBMC on Gentoo is as good as it gets! :o
yea you should be able to just drop a copy of the .exe in the start up menu and it should boot right to xbmc
ive tried to put XBMC in the start menu

now while xbmc itself loads up it starts " minimised "
andi have to still alt tab into it

anyway to stop that ?
hmm normally if you set the correct screen res in the settings it should just start up fullscreen (the -fs is out of date..)
icekiller Wrote:(the -fs is out of date..)

Where did you get this? the command line switches are still valid.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
wiso, i mean its deprecated ... but some non english users don't know what it means.. thats why i'm saying 'out of date'... and got that info from Althekiller Wink he almost killed me when i told a user to use -fs to go to fullscreen.
teh full screen isnt teh problem im having at my friends house

fro me it was and i had to recently do -fs to get full screen instead of window

main problem i have on hisbox is if he boots to windows, xbmc loads up but sits minimused in taskbar

andhejust alt/tab and hes in the program full screen

this doesnthappen if he menaulyl loads it himself after windows installs
its just when putting the link into startup

for him its ok but for his wife she not to savvy on a PC so needs it to just boot in
Could be that he meant the Linuxport. On Windows it's still not deprecated and in use. Some differences still exist Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
budwize Wrote:teh full screen isnt teh problem im having at my friends house

fro me it was and i had to recently do -fs to get full screen instead of window

main problem i have on hisbox is if he boots to windows, xbmc loads up but sits minimused in taskbar

andhejust alt/tab and hes in the program full screen

this doesnthappen if he menaulyl loads it himself after windows installs
its just when putting the link into startup

for him its ok but for his wife she not to savvy on a PC so needs it to just boot in

I have a similar technical issue (ie a non PC friendly wife!) and I just have a hotkey on the keyboard assigned to launch XBMC in fs mode. I use the dinovo keyboard which has a configurable 'media' button but most keyboards these days allow you to configure them.
budwize Wrote:ive tried to put XBMC in the start menu

now while xbmc itself loads up it starts " minimised "
andi have to still alt tab into it

anyway to stop that ?

so try editing the shortcut you put in the startup folder to have a "-fs" at the end, and see what happens then...

...or is that what you're doing already?

I can't tell from your comments.

-Wes
RE: minimized at startup, there's a freeware app out there called startup delayer...put a delay of 3 seconds or so and you should be good. Also try a delay of "0" and specified "start maximized". http://www.jockersoft.com/english/startu..._index.php

RE: booting to XBMC, you can search out the shell key in regedit and replace exporer.exe with XMBC.exe, but it takes forever for the machine to boot; it seems a bit confused when the desktop 'would' be loading, and the overall boot time is 2-3 minutes. Still, if you don't need to run any apps in the background and can't stand seeing the transition from desktop to XBMC...
thanks everyone for your help with xbmc minimising on boot.

ended up doing a combination of them all
forgot to mention its now all working

mymates wife also likes the media key option
You can also start XBMC instead of Explorer.exe (Standard windows Shell). Explorer.exe is the proces that covers the startmenu, file & folder browsing, (The explorer..).
I've done that in a large Windiws XP embedded environment, works like a charm. (With another app)
Haven't tested it yet on XP Pro (Or Vista).
Here you find the run steps:

1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit)
2) go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) Change Shell from explorer.exe to the new shell path e.g C:\Litestep\litestep.exe
4) log out and log back in.

But, Be Carefull when editing the registry!
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Boot directly to XBMC for Windows (in full-screen) as the shell on Windows?1