• 3(current)
[WINDOWS] Boot directly to XBMC for Windows (in full-screen) as the shell on Windows?
look people, XBMC IS NOT A SHELL, PROBABLY WILL NEVER BE A SHELL. So having it be a (pretend to be) shell replacement is just going to remove some of windows funcunatilty since xbmc can't open programs in it natively. (meaning without the use of the plugin, an experimental one at that) When you fullscreen a video game it is not a shell replacement. This is basically the same thing.

Now what you CAN do is use a lightweight replacement shell with it. BBLean (http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/) is a very decent lightweight shell. And you can set XBOX to boot using an autorun editor (tons of those on the net) or moving the program to the startup folder. I imagine in the full version of xbmc for windows there will be either some type of plugin that will let it autorun or a script that does it, but for now this is a temporary solution.

Though before you do ANYTHING, do some research. You might come up with an even better solution than me.
ninebr34ker
dear sir!
I absolutely undertand that XBMC is no full functional shell - but for my needing it can be in its functionality (only 2 minus - it start windowed and i need additional program for remite control). I think it is possible desiding in a some minutes to work and a little bit more to strategy.
I personally think that starting it the "shell" is a really cool idea.

Yes, you don't have a real window manager, but if you have a keyboard hooked-up, you just press <ctrl-shift-esc>, choose "file", and click "new task(run...)".

Or you could just keep a command prompt opened in the background.

No problem.

On a dedicated media center, I don't really see what you're losing here by not having the explorer.exe process run.

-Wes
BAG_Ass Wrote:ninebr34ker
dear sir!
I absolutely undertand that XBMC is no full functional shell - but for my needing it can be in its functionality (only 2 minus - it start windowed and i need additional program for remite control). I think it is possible desiding in a some minutes to work and a little bit more to strategy.
okay well let's see, as far as the remore control goes eventghost would help by leaps and bounds. and as far as it starting windowed goes let me ask you what have you tried so far to make it fullscreen.
I've worked with frontends before and there is a relatively easy method of replacing windows explorer with any application.

Something like this will be useful as we see more and more windows dedicated machines. This guide completely hides the Windows OS.
http://www.maximusarcade.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=506

My question is there a way to run a script on exit of xbmc? That script would launch explorer.exe
If not possible, we can always just use the task manager to launch explorer manually.
you can always write a simple batch file that starts your program when xbox exits..
You guys should also checkout this discussion here => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34756

Nod
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:Today but default XBMC only ever starts in fullscreen if you pass the -fs parameter, (ie. "XBMC.exe -fs"), if you do not pass the -fs parameter the XBMC starts windowed, ...one idea would be to maybe change this default behavior so that it by default always starts in full-screen more and one has to pass a parameter if one want to start it windowed instead (like for example "XBMC.exe -w"), or have <StartWindowed> added to AdvancedSettings.xml

Charly and WiSo just added this...

Quote:and the advanced settings file knows now the tag <fullscreen> to launch XBMC in fullscreen without the command line switch.

...to the latest Windows release (14125).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34901

See post #6 of WiSo's.

Syntax is:
Code:
<advancedsettings>

<fullscreen>true</fullscreen>

</advancedsettings>
That should make the regedit trick work just about perfectly, I think Wink

-Wes
waldo22 Wrote:That should make the regedit trick work just about perfectly, I think Wink

Unless I missed it somewhere, we haven't solved the REMOTEXBMC issue for this option just yet...though I saw someone was working on an app launcher for XBMC, so you could potentially load the program after booting XBMC...is there a 'logon script' in use with XBMC that could auto-start this?
waldo22 Wrote:Charly and WiSo just added this...

Code:
and the advanced settings file knows now the tag <fullscreen> to launch XBMC in fullscreen without the command line switch.

...to the latest Windows release (14125).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34901

See post #6 of WiSo's.

That should make the regedit trick work just about perfectly, I think Wink

-Wes

I just tried this in vista and xbmc opened up windowed. I believe I've got the advancedsettings.xml configured right because if I just double click on the file then it opens up full screen.
zeuss-axis Wrote:Unless I missed it somewhere, we haven't solved the REMOTEXBMC issue for this option just yet...though I saw someone was working on an app launcher for XBMC, so you could potentially load the program after booting XBMC...is there a 'logon script' in use with XBMC that could auto-start this?

OK, I'm confused.

What do you mean about REMOTEXBMC? Are you talking about the issue with XBMC over Remote Desktop (as in Microsoft Terminal Services?)

What program are you talking about loading after booting XBMC? Running explorer.exe in the background?

I was referring to editing the registry key here:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

And changing the "shell" value from explorer.exe to:

"Shell"="c:\progra~1\xbmc\xbmc.exe"

As it was before, you couldn't load in full-screen mode because you can't pass any parameters in this registry key.

Now they have added it to the advancedsettings.xml file so it should work fine.

So what's the problem?

If you need an actual shell, you can exit xbmc (or not even bother) and press ctrl-alt-del, run taskmgr, and start a new task. You could start explorer if you want, or just start a command prompt and do what you need to do.

Let me know what you mean,

Wes
pokemeintheye Wrote:I just tried this in vista and xbmc opened up windowed. I believe I've got the advancedsettings.xml configured right because if I just double click on the file then it opens up full screen.

Strange. I can't explain that one.
waldo22 Wrote:What do you mean about REMOTEXBMC?

REMOTEXBMC is a program for running the Xbox remote in WinXP...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34905

...by booting to XBMC as shell, the "startup" tasks dont run, and thus my remote wont work. Ideas?

Thanks for the response!
OK, got it.

Here's the way to do this:

Instead of using the REMOTEXBMC program, just use EventGhost.

It has a built-in plugin for controlling XBMC, and a plugin to make the original xbox remote work is now in SVN.

Here is my tutorial on the subject:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45337

All you have to do is have EventGhost run XBMC (and any other programs you want to run at startup) under it's "autostart" list of macros.

It turns out that things in this registry key...
HkeyCurrentUser -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrrentVersion -> run
(or Hkey Local Machine, for all users)
And the "Programs -> Startup" folder BOTH need explorer.exe as the shell in order to run.
hi can someone post the advancedsettings.xml ? for fullscreen use, i am a noob in programming so.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Boot directly to XBMC for Windows (in full-screen) as the shell on Windows?1