• 7(current)
[WINDOWS] Boot directly to XBMC for Windows (in full-screen) as the shell on Windows?
oops, thanks for catching that
I just put XBMC in my Startup folder.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I just put XBMC in my Startup folder.

JR

That is what i do, with a delay of a few seconds, plus i hide the task bar and turn the mouse and background black so it appears like XBMC is all that is there. I even changed the windows boot screen to an XBMC one (on XP), but i am switching to win7 tonight so idk if that will be possible or easy...
I use Eventghost to start XBMC, and also have the backrground set to black with the taskbar hidden. I had to use my graphics driver to overscan the desktop so that not even a faint line showed from the taskbar

Another helpful item that I have is a Rainmeter skin with system meters and HD capacities, that way I have a quick way to check my systems cpu, memory, IP addresses. You can see the rainmeter skin between the time Windows boots and XBMC starts, but most people won't know to associate that with Windows. And I think it looks cool when booting.

I use Windows 7
Jay_M Wrote:I had to use my graphics driver to overscan the desktop so that not even a faint line showed from the taskbar.

Smart trick! I moved my automatically hidden taskbar to the top, which accomplishes the same thing, but is even more irritating.

Nerd
If you can do without the start menu you can always just set xbms as the system shell via the registry editor - this results in xbmc starting instantly without explorer starting up atall.
tungmeister Wrote:If you can do without the start menu you can always just set xbms as the system shell via the registry editor - this results in xbmc starting instantly without explorer starting up atall.

Unless you rank relatively high in the nerd stakes you can easily render your PC unusable. Over the years there have been many messages in these forums from people who've managed exactly this. While we nerds would simply correct the registry problem by editing it remotely across a LAN many users would find this difficult to do.

Placing XBMC in the startup folder is a safe option.

JR
hello to everybody that`s my first post.
i am using Windows 7 & Xbmc 10.10
i followed this guide
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_make_XBMC_for_Windows_boot_as_a_Shell_in_Full_Screen
and everything work fine.
Except one thing.
When i finish my xbmc session i cannot shutdown my pc.
When i press exit or shutdown on Xbmc ,xbmc closes and then everything become black
and the pc is on.
the only way to shutdown my pc is to press ctrl+alt+del,to see the logoff screen of windows7 and then shutdown.
Any tips ?
In XBMC go to System settings, System, Power saving and set the Shutdown function to Shutdown. The default is Quit and this causes XBMC to just quit when you select the shutdown option from the shutdown menu. Hence you're left with nothing running and a blank display.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:In XBMC go to System settings, System, Power saving and set the Shutdown function to Shutdown. The default is Quit and this causes XBMC to just quit when you select the shutdown option from the shutdown menu. Hence you're left with nothing running and a blank display.

JR

thanks man!
Hey guys, just put together my first HTPC and now i'm trying to get XBMC to start up directly at boot but I'm having some trouble getting XBMC to stay in focus.

I tried both

"For Windows 7 and optional EventGhost : Using Windows 7 Group Policy Object Editor"

and the Silenlaunch way, but with both ways i end up with XBMC beeing shown in my left corner, minimized.

I tried adding -fs p switches after xbmc.exe but that didn't do anything.

I then created an advancedsettings.xml file and put

<advancedsettings>
<fullscreen>true</fullscreen
</advancedsettings>

in there but that didn't help either.

Some help needed guys!
hey there
after a long try to make my lenovo q180 dualboot with win7 and ubuntu 10.10 ive came to the end and just made in win7 an other user so living room for just surfing and skype and so and the xbmc profile with autostart. (Windows 7 Group Policy Object Editor ) this works perfectly fine but ive got no internet access on the xbmc it says on the top conected but on the bottom no conection check conection settings (at network where u can see ip adress etc)
it is connected over wifi

pls help
leonn
I've been using the EventGhost solution to start up XBMC. This is working as expected.
Though, I'm running windows 7 as multi-user, using XBMC as a standard user and another one as admin.

Whenever i come back from suspend, i have to press a key to log in again. I'd like this to be automatic. Is there a way to 'fix' this behaviour?

note, i have the automatic logon already enabled and this works for the first log on. Though, after suspend it isn't doing the same.
(2013-09-20, 16:01)bambam82 Wrote: I've been using the EventGhost solution to start up XBMC. This is working as expected.
Though, I'm running windows 7 as multi-user, using XBMC as a standard user and another one as admin.

Whenever i come back from suspend, i have to press a key to log in again. I'd like this to be automatic. Is there a way to 'fix' this behaviour?

note, i have the automatic logon already enabled and this works for the first log on. Though, after suspend it isn't doing the same.

Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and click on "change advanced power settings". In there make sure "require a password on wakeup' is set to NO(plugged in)
(2013-09-20, 22:15)milli Wrote: Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and click on "change advanced power settings". In there make sure "require a password on wakeup' is set to NO(plugged in)
Thanks, that worked.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Boot directly to XBMC for Windows (in full-screen) as the shell on Windows?1