Change advancedsettings.xml with nVidia Shield TV
I found some instructions online that show how to modify the advancedsettings.xml settings on a nVidia Shield TV.  The directions I found show that I should be able to access the files of the nVidia Shield TV by typing the IP address in a Windows Explorer bar (following "\\").  I've tried this and I can't access the files for some reason.  Can anyone tell me if I need to modify a setting on the Shield TV to access the file system?
You won't be able to do that unless your shield is running a samba server.  Which I'm pretty sure you can only do if the shield is rooted.
If it isn't there are various ways to move files between pc and shield (ftp being one).  For occasional use it might be easiest to copy advancedsettings.xml to a usb stick using an android file manager and physically move it to the pc.
(2019-04-28, 18:01)trogggy Wrote: You won't be able to do that unless your shield is running a samba server.  Which I'm pretty sure you can only do if the shield is rooted.
If it isn't there are various ways to move files between pc and shield (ftp being one).  For occasional use it might be easiest to copy advancedsettings.xml to a usb stick using an android file manager and physically move it to the pc.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try using a thumb drive moving it that way.
(2019-04-28, 18:01)trogggy Wrote: For occasional use it might be easiest to copy advancedsettings.xml to a usb stick using an android file manager and physically move it to the pc.

Tube models don't have a USB port.  They only have an MicroSD slot, but a card formatted by Shield has to be formatted again by Windows, so this solution won't work.

Anyone know how to edit advancedsettings.xml on the tube model of Shield?
(2020-11-03, 22:16)Knocks Wrote:
(2019-04-28, 18:01)trogggy Wrote: For occasional use it might be easiest to copy advancedsettings.xml to a usb stick using an android file manager and physically move it to the pc.

Tube models don't have a USB port.  They only have an MicroSD slot, but a card formatted by Shield has to be formatted again by Windows, so this solution won't work.

Anyone know how to edit advancedsettings.xml on the tube model of Shield?
Create the file in Windows then transfer via SSH using FileZilla. You can install ES Explorer then enable 'View on PC' which will give you the IP Address & Port to connect to. There are probably easier ways but that works for me.
I don't see ES Explorer in the Google Play store on Shield.  Lots of other file explorers, but not ES Explorer.

I installed an app called FTP Server for Android and logged in from the PC, but all I'm seeing is a blank root directory.
I use this one on my phone, it might work on a Shield https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...n_US&gl=US
The solution below was suggested by @jjd-uk in another thread and seems most optimal.  It does involve extra steps of copying your advancedsettings.xml to an SMB share (with Kodi's built-in File Manager, I assume) and then copying it back to your profile directory after it's been edited.  It still looks like the least complicated solution, since accessing the Kodi profile directory directly from the PC does not seem possible.

(2020-11-04, 15:45)jjd-uk Wrote: Setup a network file share (SMB/NFS) on the computer which the Shield can then access so you can use the Kodi file manager to copy files to and from the share. For example I have a SMB share created on my desktop pc in the home office so I can copy files to the desktop from Kodi on the Android devices, do any edits on the desktop, and then copy back to the Android device.
To add a bit more info, you need to configure 2 sources in the Kodi File Manager, one that points to the local Userdata folder and one that points to a network share location the device you want to do the edits on has access to. When it comes to specifying the path to your Userdata folder it's best to use the Special protocol shortcut path, as then you don't need to know the exact file system path. So the special path would be special://userdata see https://kodi.wiki/view/Special_protocol for this and other paths and for info on using the Kodi File Manager see https://kodi.wiki/view/File_manager
Hello,

\\Shields IP Address\internal

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change advancedsettings.xml with nVidia Shield TV0