Weird problem (maybe)
Hi I have a problem that I can't get my head around and need a point in the right direction to help figure this out, this may seem dumb but please go easy on me I'm a linux newbie but quite willing to learn Smile .

first here is my hardware:
I have an Asus CS5110 Essentio
E8300 intel 2.83 core duo
2 GB ram
8600m GT Nvidia
on a p5k3 m/board

some history first:
I d/l XBMC live usb and installed it to a flashdrive without a problem slapped it into my comp and it booted perfectly, picked up the network, and I loaded the smb shared folders.

I then tested a few SD, 720 and 1080 xvids and they all play without a problem, I even gave the "killa sample" a try and it also played without dropping any frames, life was good, now for the problem....

I need to get into the file system to add a media font to properly display traditional Chinese fonts, so after reading through the forums I found out that I just had to install open ssh server and could just ftp the file in from my xp machine. For some reason though I can't drop to a console terminal (command prompt) it just hangs forever.

After playing around for awhile I tried the Live USB stick on my laptop everything booted fine and I installed openssh server without a problem and ftped the files in without a problem. I then moved the flashdrive to my desktop and it booted up fine, but now I have lost the network for some reason.

I then installed ubuntu to the hdd and tried the full version. Everything installed all right with no problems, but xbmc is really sluggish and stutters like crazy.

After the longwinded post I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction to help resolve this/these problems, as I love xbmc and use it daily (on my xbox) and would like to make the switch to play HD stuff.
any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
treefour
Asus Essentio CS5110, Intel E8300, 2 GB Ram, 8600M GT
Disable desktop effects in Ubuntu. There are at least 15 threads on how to do this.
If you want a terminal from the liveusb image and you already have openssh installed then you should be able to use putty and ssh into your xbmc from you xp machine. I run my xbmc with no desktop and I do all my command line stuff through ssh.
althekiller Wrote:I like how this thread went from "specifically sound" to "overclocking." It was a good attempt guys, almost a thread that could be useful in the future.

I really miss althekiller :(
althekiller Wrote:Disable desktop effects in Ubuntu. There are at least 15 threads on how to do this.

Thanks I'll give it a search. I may be wrong but i thought that live usb didn't have a desktop...
blubyu Wrote:If you want a terminal from the liveusb image and you already have openssh installed then you should be able to use putty and ssh into your xbmc from you xp machine. I run my xbmc with no desktop and I do all my command line stuff through ssh.

I don't have openssh installed on the live usb because I can't drop out of xbmc to a command prompt, it just hangs for some reason. If I do it to the laptop I can load everything, no problem, but when I move the flashdrive back to my PC I lose the network for some reason and I can't stream anything. Huh
Where Did You Buy An Essentio!!!Huh??
jsketto Wrote:Where Did You Buy An Essentio!!!Huh??

Taiwan
lol, any more specifics than that...price, etc.....can i get it anywhere online...ive been drooling over that thing for months now
I not really sure about getting it on line, I live in Taipei and know a guy that works in little shop on street with about a thousand computer stores on it. Here's a link to a Taiwanese shop it's got the prices and specs, but it's in Chinese Linky That's a bit more than I paid for it but not much, everything here is cheaper if you use cash. So far I like it a lot just gotta figure out why I can't drop to a console window with the live usb, once I get that sorted I will be really happy.
oh yeah the price from the site with the E8300 is about $1080 US

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Weird problem (maybe)0