[LINUX] XBMC for Linux on Apple TV 2 (ATV2) - Run XBMC on Linux instead of on iOS?
Just wanted to clarify something,

Is the new ATV2 version of XBMC an ARM port or an ARM/iOS port?

e.g. what's the possibility of removing iOS from an ATV and installing Debain for example?

Would this new ARM port run on other ARM hardware?
Other than no one has done it yet, nothing. The boot process is signed. I think the only iOS phone to run another OS is one of the earlier iPhones which they got running Android.

But I think Debian is a much better OS.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
This particular port is for iOS on ARM and won't run with Linux on ARM. They're entirely different animals.

They have the iphone4 running android too. It's definitely possible, although I haven't seen it on the ATV2. If you did it XBMC wouldn't run on it, though.
This was one of my first thoughts when they announced xbmc support, is raw linux eventually. But it is arm, so you would need an arm distribution. I think i read that one of the jailbreak teams had linux booting. Which leads to the second and I think larger problem. A graphics driver. From what I gathered there is no good gpu driver right now for the power vr 535. They license the tech out and companies then write the drivers, I think. The available drivers seem to be 2D only. So you would lose out on video decoding etc.
soulnothing Wrote:This was one of my first thoughts when they announced xbmc support, is raw linux eventually. But it is arm, so you would need an arm distribution. I think i read that one of the jailbreak teams had linux booting. Which leads to the second and I think larger problem. A graphics driver. From what I gathered there is no good gpu driver right now for the power vr 535. They license the tech out and companies then write the drivers, I think. The available drivers seem to be 2D only. So you would lose out on video decoding etc.

video decoding has nothing to do with the GPU ( as in 2D, 3D, 4D), it's a separate unit on the GUI die.
Oh okay my bad was thinking along the lines of nvidias vdpau. Being a feature of the gpu driver.
soulnothing Wrote:Oh okay my bad was thinking along the lines of nvidias vdpau. Being a feature of the gpu driver.

even then there is ususually an asic somewhere in the gpu dedicated to video deocoding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux on Apple TV 2 (ATV2) - Run XBMC on Linux instead of on iOS?0