[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Launch applications/games from XBMC "Programs" section
I know XBMC is not trying to be a OS.
But, on PC etc, will XBMC ever run other exe's?
Well, not run then but shortcut to them?
would be cool running some programs via nice media interface :-D
As a workaround you can use leo2's launcher script, see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35739
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
...or use code like this from a button:
Code:
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec("C:\Program Files\EventGhost\EventGhost.exe" -e myTV)</onclick>
Question 
Hey all,

I'm just getting started with XMBC, and i'm really liking it, but some aspects are really confusing to me.

I'm not certain, but i'm guessing if you're using XBMC on a Mac/PC that the options for Games/Emulators/Programs that are in most of the skins are pretty much useless, correct?

Unless there's a way to launch OSX applications within XMBC, I'm guessing there's no real reason to have those on the menu?

I've tried linking to some emulators that I have in OSX, but it just treats them like folder, like i'd expect, instead of launching the application.

Am I missing something, or are these options just hold overs from the x-box version of XMBC?

Thanks!
Your not missing anything the ability to launch these sort of things from the Programs section has yet to be added in so yeah currently its just a throw back to the xbox days but that will change.
And note that the default skin (Project Mayhem III) hides the Programs menu item by default on those platforms, so you won't see it anyway unless you are using another skin.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Awesome, This makes complete sense. I can't wait till this ability is added. Smile
I want to be able to have XBMC as my HTPC "dashboard" to where I can use it to launch Games, Emulators and other applications. I have found a addon called launcher but I'm not sure on how much I like it. Is there a different solution?
darxide Wrote:I want to be able to have XBMC as my HTPC "dashboard" to where I can use it to launch Games, Emulators and other applications. I have found a addon called launcher but I'm not sure on how much I like it. Is there a different solution?
Not yet, no.
I was wondering if it were possible to create shoutcuts (cut) to EXE files, so we could accomodate the Games section on other systems besides the XBOX...

There should be an easy way of executing an EXE file in XBMC, as XBMC itself is loaded via an EXE file. Maybe, if this isn't a feature, creating a means of accomodating CUT files to point to EXE files and exit XBMC on activation and reload it once that executable has completed its run.

Its just an idea, because I've just recently started using XBMC on Windows, and I'm sure this feature would be a Extrememely Popular one. Everyone wants a menu system for their PC Games, so why not let it be the same system which runs all our other media.

Thanks for your responce!
I support this idea... would like XBMC to run EXE files... i think its an esential thing to have for it to be successful in the future... and with Atlantis doing so well, it should one of it's features, or XBMC is just another Windows Media Player... and it doesn't deserve that tag!
I know this is not a solution but just a workaround.....did u tried the launcher plugin? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=launcher
Lightbulb 
It could be really useful to have the programs section working on other platforms (like windows, linux and OSX). I think that this is really easy to add and it could make happy to a lot of users for launching games and other apps (like Vista Media Center do).

kind regards, Wink
fidoboy Wrote:I think that this is really easy to add

DOH! Oo I don't think that is the best way to get one of the devs to listen to you. In fact I can already hear a big "if it is so easy do it your self!"

It has been requested a few times already. Do a search Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Launch applications/games from XBMC "Programs" section0