• 3(current)
[PATCHES] PPC (PowerPC) Linux support for powerpc-linux and powerpc64-linux targets
Question 
@araldor and cedric, any updates on patches for any of the endian issues?
Have you looked at tools like PortAsm/86, Relogix, or something similar? Huh
http://www.microapl.co.uk/Porting/PortAsm86.html

Big Grin
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I see that PS3 is mentioned in the first post and then a reference further on about dropping PPC64.

What's the status/ideas regarding PS3 at the moment? Smile
phunqe Wrote:I see that PS3 is mentioned in the first post and then a reference further on about dropping PPC64.

What's the status/ideas regarding PS3 at the moment? Smile

Don't hold your breath. The biggest barrier is not the CPU architecture, but rather the lack of OpenGL support.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Sad 
Gamester17 Wrote:@araldor and cedric, any updates on patches for any of the endian issues?
Have you looked at tools like PortAsm/86, Relogix, or something similar? Huh
http://www.microapl.co.uk/Porting/PortAsm86.html

Big Grin

Sorry for the inactivity, I did not have (or takeConfused) enough time to submit new patches. I will try to make a new one concerning endianess this week.

Thanks for the tip, but it seems theses tools are more designed to work from assembly language than from C. In addition there is not much work to do, since most of the external libraries already support both endianess.

I spend less time on the porting since I figured out my ppc mac mini is far not powerfull enough to play a SD mpeg4 file with opengl Sad
Hello,

I'm not a programmer but i have interest of port of xbmc on PS3. There is a hope? I see in forum of ps2dev a post about driver spe for mplayer on ps3 (video decoding accelerating with spe). The guy who works on it is Unsolo. Do you have any contact with him?.
Or the port of xbmc on ppc architecture is dead.

PS: Sorry for my english, i'm french
cedric Wrote:I spend less time on the porting since I figured out my ppc mac mini is far not powerfull enough to play a SD mpeg4 file with opengl Sad

It would seem that it could be dead. The PS3 is another beast entirely. PPC support is but a fraction of the work that needs to be done there. If you ever find an OpenGL implementation for the SPUs, let us know.
Pug064 Wrote:Hello,

I'm not a programmer but i have interest of port of xbmc on PS3. There is a hope? I see in forum of ps2dev a post about driver spe for mplayer on ps3 (video decoding accelerating with spe). The guy who works on it is Unsolo. Do you have any contact with him?.
Or the port of xbmc on ppc architecture is dead.

PS: Sorry for my english, i'm french

As malloc said, I do not expect to do miracles with my mac mini, and I have no PS3, so I bought a computer with blueray just for xbmc. Nevertheless, I reached to play a movie on my mac mini at 10 fps using opengl with right colors and sound. I will commit a patch later, along with the last binary I built (mp3 playback working, ffmpeg video working, some color errors in GUI)

There is other threads to speak about ps3, but according to me the big work will be in the support of opengl.
cedric Wrote:Sorry for the inactivity, I did not have (or takeConfused) enough time to submit new patches. I will try to make a new one concerning endianess this week.

Thanks for the tip, but it seems theses tools are more designed to work from assembly language than from C. In addition there is not much work to do, since most of the external libraries already support both endianess.

I spend less time on the porting since I figured out my ppc mac mini is far not powerfull enough to play a SD mpeg4 file with opengl Sad

If you have any unfinished patches or unposted patches I'd love to try to compile them under the wii.

How much cpu does your mac mini have?, for good measure.

Also dont give up to much on the PPC seeing that rudds patches might give you a bit of speed boost, maybe enough. maybe not Big Grin
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Information 
Topfs2 Wrote:If you have any unfinished patches or unposted patches I'd love to try to compile them under the wii.

Here it is, my complete working directory (sources + binaries) is available here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/7875132/74f6e...aring.html
Great! Please submit all patches as diffs (seperatly per 'feature', I think?), see:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_submit_a_patch
http://trac.xbmc.org

Yeah please don't give up so soon. So what if videos does not play smoothly right now, it's early in the development, even if it turns out that a low-end a Mac can not playback all standard-definition, that doesn't mean that others will the later models Mac's will have the same problem. Plus, this is like mentioned previously possibly a first stepping stone to greater things down the road...
cedric Wrote:Here it is, my complete working directory (sources + binaries) is available here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/7875132/74f6e...aring.html

Thank you oh so much, Ill try them out when I get my PPC development machine running.

Im new to PPC so I hope it could be ok if I bump you here, or on IRC, if I need some help Rolleyes
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Question 
Bump!
Just thought I'd check in to say that I'm still around and I'm still interested in this project. I'm hoping to start working again in the next two weeks and see if I can finish up where Cedric left off.
To bad my mini isnt powerful enough to do anything like 720p...
Thumbs Up 
araldor Wrote:Just thought I'd check in to say that I'm still around and I'm still interested in this project. I'm hoping to start working again in the next two weeks and see if I can finish up where Cedric left off.
Great to hear! ...looking forward to some diffs on trac Big Grin

PS! PPC (PowerPC) emulators could make porting easier for those who do not actually have PPC hardware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...l_machines

QEMU emulator looks most promising at a first glance(?) Huh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU
http://bellard.org/qemu/
Quote:QEMU is an open source software simulator for x86 that can emulate systems with processors of various architectures, including 386, x86_64, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC and Sparc. For ARM, two emulated platforms are available -- an older "Integrator" platform, and a newly-added "Versatile" platform.

The new Versatile platform includes a SCSI hard disk controller, Ethernet card, and graphical display. According to french Debian developer Aurelien Jarno (who published a HOW-TO about installing Debian or another Linux distributions on the open-source QEMU emulator), when run on an Athlon 64 3800+, running under QEMU can perform 20 percent faster than the ARM-based LinkSys NSLU2 (an inexpensive network-attached storage appliance that is commonly pressed into service as a full Debian ARM development target).

Jarno's HOW-TO begins by describing how to download and install QEMU from CVS, to ensure that the latest Versatile platform support is included. He then configures QEMU to emulate a 10GB hard drive, and downloads a publicly shared Versatile kernel that he created (Debian ARM does not yet include a kernel that supports the image, he says). Next he downloads Debian's "Etch" installer, and bootstraps the installer using a qemu-system-arm command.

Jarno's HOW-TO next describes several harmless error messages, leading ultimately to the emulated ARM system's first boot. Jarno's HOW-TO completes the basic installation by installing a more complete kernel.

Jarno's HOW-TO goes on to explore a few more advanced topics, such as running an Xorg server, increasing the amount of RAM to the maximum supported size of 256MB, and setting up a network bridge to allow the emulated system access to the Internet. The HOW-TO closes with a list of additional resources.

The full HOW-TO can be found here (link) was first published in 2006
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCHES] PPC (PowerPC) Linux support for powerpc-linux and powerpc64-linux targets1